“Not somewere you want to stay if you need to sleep”

Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hanley
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I booked this hotel as it was a ten min drive from my business location, I am writing this reveiw from room 223 on the 15th July 2011. As I am unable to sleep due to the Loud disco music that is coming from the room function room below me, I have phoned reception to be told this will continue untill 1 am. No one mentioned the party would be happening, when i booked in. The young man on reception was apologetic but obv getting a arty closed down is not an option, however the residents will have to suffer.

If you want to party then book into this hotel if you need to sleep then dont even consider it. The food was shocking, over cooked chicken and chips cost me £9.95. However on a plus side, the lady on the bar was very friendly as was the reception staff. the accomodation however should be 2 star.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 July 2011

The room I was in - 309, was shabby, great size, but in need of updating. The carpets were threadbare and stained in places, the curtains didn't fit the window, I tried to hang the runner from the bed over the pelmet to fill the gap and a huge clump of fluff and dust fell down. Worst of all was the bed, the springs in the mattress were broken and the mattress sagged in places, the base of the bed was broken at the bottom half, so you couldn't sit on that end and it meant when laying on it you gradually graviated towards the end of the bed, when I tried to turn the mattress over, I was horrified to find a large, old urine stain which had been simply covered by a mattress underlay and the sheet. My room wasn't cleaned on the 2nd day. I certainly didn't risk eating there. I did use the spa area, which was ok, except the water temperature of the jacuzzi was so hot you could only put your feet in for a couple of seconds before they started burning. I appreciate it is an old building but that is no excuse for the basic lack of attention to cleanliness and quality - as the name would lead you to believe would be the very least they would offer

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jacey1810
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I stayed at The Quality Hotel with my boyfriend for a trip to Alton Towers. The first thing noticeable about the hotel was not the hotel itself, but the lapdancing bar literally across the road named "ST1"... classy. However, I am unaware whether it was the hotel or the club was put there first, so I cannot really complain about that.
There are a few things to complain about the hotel, though. It's very old fashioned. The rooms definately need a paint, and I mean they need to paint the walls whilst taking the curtains down... There was paint all over them on both the rooms we were in which makes it look very rushed and a major lack of effort. The carpets were again old, torn and haggard. The beds however were comfortable and possibly the best thing about the rooms. The televisions lacked with channels and we both expected freeview at least...
The first night we stayed was AWFUL. At around 2/3a.m music began to blast from the kebab shop, Sizzlers, which was also situated right oppisite from the hotel. I understand this is not the hotels fault, however the music was so loud I'm sure other members of staff would have heard, and should not have been left for my boyfriend to call the shop and threaten to call the police. The morning after we obviously made our compaints and requested to move rooms away from the shop and the lap dancing club. They immediately transferred us with ease. The manager was there and explained there had been trouble before and he was going to sort it. It's a shame however they only half listened and put us closer to both the shop and club.
The second room we stayed in was a lot better (seems we were upgraded!), but again a bit old fashioned. The 12ft flowered curtains terrified my boyfriend, they were huge! The bath had what looked like plaster stuck to the base, making it look grotty, however the shower was fine.
In regards to the staff, again they were standard. For example, on walking out into the carpark I found a set of keys and immediately went to the reception desk. I explained I'd found them to which the woman behind the desk quickly took them from me and immeditely ran to the phone without saying thank you. Again, on checking out from the hotel, she did not even speak with my boyfriend as she was too busy on the phone. This can be classed as a bonus as she wasn't concentrating enough to charge us for the room service we had! Thanks for the free salmon and burger (which was nice)!

Overall, I would recommend this as only a short stay hotel. I would not say it's for any special occasions as you would be greatly dissapointed. It's "okay". We won't be going there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sjanesherlock
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The building is tired and in need of a refit but that could have been offset if the hotel was well run. The restaurant menu in the bedroom was not the much more limited menu actually available in the restaurant, we stayed and ate and were dissappointed most chose to try elsewhere. There was no plug making it impossible to have a bath. The TV was out of date pushing buy to view films at you but failing to deliver the now standard freeview channels.Be warned breakfast turned out not to be included in the price of an overnight stay. Breakfast was not worth the money charged and turned our overnight stay into an expensive experience given the quality of this hotel. It was sad to have our poor impressions of Stoke confirmed by this hotel.It deserves better.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JTPK
Reviewed 24 June 2011

We stayed for four nights at the end of May on a Travelstyle holiday. I was worried because I saw the less than complimentary reviews on Trip Adviser. Before we arrived, I contacted the hotel and told them I was bringing two elderly ladies, one in a wheelchair. Jenni replied the next day and couldn't have been more helpful.

My son and aunt had two single rooms on the third floor and they were charming. The bathrooms were brand new and immaculate. My son appreciated free WiFi. My mother and I shared a room on the ground floor, so that we could get the wheelchair in easily. The first morning, the water was scalding hot in our shower. I told Reception and the maintenance man came immediately and rectified it.

The food was very good. There was plenty of choice. The soups were made fresh every day and the meat pie was absolutely delicious. They were obviously understaffed on a couple of occasions but a little bit of patience was all that was required. We were on a coach holiday with older people and I find that patience and understanding in that age group can sometimes be lacking. We had nowhere to go and didn't mind waiting a little for the dessert on one night, the poor waitress was doing the best she could. I heard one man say that he'd seen better dogs dinners. Well, all I can say is - his dogs must eat very well because it was lovely food. We had absolutely no complaints. We also had lunch in the bar one day and that was lovely too.

The staff were very pleasant, especially the chefs, Pat in the dining room, the cleaning lady on the third floor and Jennie and her colleagues on the front desk.

The Travelstyle tour was arduous to say the least (I will be giving them feedback). By the third day, many people stayed at the hotel, rather than going on the coach. That day, we pushed the wheelchair round the corner to the Stoke Museum. That was our best day out and we were thrilled to see the recently discovered Saxon hoard. The cafe in the museum was very good. The shopping mall was also within pushing distance and my mother really enjoyed the bottom floor, which is an old fashioned market hall. We would have loved to have visited Potteries and were disappointed with the Travelstyle tour.

Summing up, the hotel is in an old building (you are in England where there are lots of substantial old buildings) but having said that, they are updating where necessary and the rooms and common areas were very clean.

Please remember this is not a 5 star hotel and we have stayed in many 4 stars that weren't as nice as this.

Don't let the negative reviews put you off and if you have a complaint, let the reception staff know and it will be dealt with.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank yorkiegirl123
Reviewed 21 June 2011

we just got back from a 3 nite stay after reading lots of negitive comments we werent sure what to expect the reception staff were very welcoming and friendly there was 2 wedding receptions going on so it cant be bad! the family room was spacious but basic bathroom was nice. we didnt experince no noise problem and breakfast was nice all staff were pleasent and well presented the spa and pool has just been refurnished and was also nice. 25min drive to alton towers and the local shopping mall 5mins up the hill also local tesco good location would stay again. south london

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank shelz80
Reviewed 20 June 2011

From the outside it does not look that great, could do with a coat of paint. This hotel is over a hundred years old and does have some charm, the rooms were comfortable and clean, staff were helpful and courteous at all times. It is within easy walking distance to a shopping centre. If you are looking for an upmarket hotel this is not for you, but if you require basic, clean, value for money hotel with a pub style meal available then its ok.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wearenot2old
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanley
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Best Western Stoke East
Best Western Stoke East
#7 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent? Share your experiences!