“Nothing wrong with this hotel...”

Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hanley
Reviewed 7 November 2013

....there is a certain type of Tripadvisor prejudice that sees Premier Inn as the benchmark for all that is good about a budget hotel. I think that it what is happening here with the unfair poor reviews of this hotel. There also appear to be a number of people doing Alton Towers on the cheap but still expecting stupendous service.

So, my experience of this hotel.
It is centrally located with a big car park. It is the centre of town so will have pubs and fast food outlets nearby. If you don't like that, don't stay in the town centre.
Parking is controlled but by entering your reg into the computer in reception, you get it for free.
Checking in was easy and friendly. My impression was that this was a busy hub of a hotel with lots of conferences and local staff parties. The bar was pleasant and not at all "dingy"
The hotel is an old (Victorian?) building so doesn't fit the stereotyped box style of a travelodge or PI. It's all the better for it in my opinion.
My room was clean, recently refurbished and comfortable. the bathroom was especially good. Yes the TV only has 5 channels but the free wifi worked brilliantly. I have had the fortune to stay in a couple of 5 star hotels recently and neither of them had that good wifi for free.
There is a bit of pub noise but nothing outrageous and I had a great nights sleep.

This hotel cost less than 50 quid (booked 2 days before arrival) it is a full service hotel with a genuine local charm. Much better in my opinion than the soulless , overrated Premier Inn (who's prices are continually being nudged up)
My advice ; leave your prejudices behind, support local business and buildings and stay in hotels like this. Well done and thank you.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank woosiep
Director_of_Sales_13, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Many thanks for posting your recent review.

It is a measured, considered and fair opinion of the hotel and it's facilities and location.

We are centrally located, do offer free car parking, which in a city centre is extremely rare, free Wi-Fi and entrance to our Leisure Centre.

Our Alton Towers packages are extremely competitive, as indeed are our regular room rates for both mid-week and weekends.

Your feedback is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit.

Patrick Fitzgerald.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,269)

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I had paid in advance for our booking but the hotel had no record of this and they tried to charge us on check in. Only upon showing my email receipt on my phone from several months earlier did they eventually agree that we had paid for our two rooms.

I had booked two twin rooms as there was four of us staying for two nights. The first room was okay but a little dated, the second room the same but with an overwhelming smell of drain/damp/mould. After complaining our room was changed but for a double instead of a twin and the bed was absolutely terrible (no springs left in the mattress and the sheets are ancient). The room was also in a completely separate part of the hotel so we had a 10 minute walk between the two bedrooms.
Finally, the corridor to the replacement bedroom had a very strong smell of smoking (not the legal kind) and the radiator did not work so we were very cold on the second evening.

We would not stay here again and recommend this hotel be avoided at all costs.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AmusedChrissy

Many thanks for posting your recent review.

I am sorry to read that you experienced some problems with your room and I will check these with the relevant departmental managers in order that they can be resolved.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

===Towers of Joy===

I rather enjoy being shot around a track at lightning speed, occasionally going upside down and sometimes (but only sometimes) having the living bejesus scared out of me by things plummeting me through many meters of empty space. That’s why I’ve been itching to go to Alton Towers again for a while now. When discussing this with my good friend Sloan we both realised that we’d also wanted to go to the Alton Towers Scare Fest that they do every year for Halloween. Thankfully and finally we found ourselves in the position to actually do it and so we booked some tickets and went for a hotel found via the Tower’s website. Huzzah!

===Getting there===

Rather fabulously my car broke down the night before we left and we ended up having to book a hire car to get us all down there. Living in Scotland, it was an 8 hour drive (with stops) to get there and I’d been sensible enough to get my sat-nav out of my rust-bucket-dung-heap of an excuse for a car before leaving it with the mechanic. The hotel is situated in Hanley in Stoke-on-trent which you can get to through a mixture of busses and trains and planes, oh my. All of that will obviously depend on how close you are, how much you’d prefer to spend and how relaxing you want it to be. The 8 hour drive, while not uncomfortable, was rather stressful. I don’t enjoy being responsible for passengers for longer than an hour or two; I get really worried. If you are driving, the hotel has a car park which is free to those staying in the hotel. You do need to make sure you put your registration number into the touch screen device hiding on the desk at reception though! If you don’t you could find a nasty charge coming your way.

The address for your sat-nav is as follows:

Quality Hotel Stoke
66 Trinity street
Hanley
Stoke-on-trent
ST1 5NB

If you need to phone them for anything their number is 01782 20236

===Getting in===

There is an entrance on the car park side and also an entrance round the corner to the right. If you enter at the car park side, you’ll pass the restaurant you have breakfast in first of all and then you’ll come to a set of stairs. If you need a lift, pop round to the right and you’ll find a lift and also some toilets which will explain the smell of urinal cakes in the entrance. I don’t recall seeing a sign for the lift but we were knackered the whole time so it’s probably there. Up a flight of stairs and you’ll go through a door into the lovely reception area with some interesting stained glass work in the ceiling, a lovely comfy sitting area. If you go to the entrance around the corner from the car you’ll come in almost at reception, though there’s about half a flight of stairs from that side since the hotel is on a bit of a hill. If you’re disabled or have trouble with stairs, you’ll need to make sure you come in the door on the car park side so you can get the lift.

===Check in===

The beginning of our trip started with my car breaking down, and the remainder, unfortunately didn’t look like it was going to get much better. Upon arriving the… cheery… receptionist told us we weren’t booked in. As it turns out there had been a mix up when booking and our three night stay had been booked for the next day onwards. The receptionist offered other rooms straight away, though they wouldn’t be doubles but did say we’d need to call the place we booked through to confirm it was ok for the hotel to put an invoice through with slightly different dates. She gave us a phone number and off we toddled, slightly annoyed that we weren’t offered one of the many phones behind the desk.

After being given 3 different numbers and having been hung up on once, we finally got the OK and were given the keys to our temporary rooms. And that is when the fun started.

===The first set===

Rather than two doubles and a single, we got two twins and a single. At that point, however, we were just happy we had a room so were willing to put up with mostly anything. The keys are cards that you slide in and out of the doors for them to open. Linzi and Kev got room 204 (if I remember correctly) which had lovely high ceilings, double glazing, new carpets, a flat screen TV and a lovely bathroom. On the surface it looked very nice. We all went to their room for a couple of drinks and a few games of cards as their room was the least effort to get to. Soon we noticed that although the radiators were off, the building has bare hot water pipes running through all of the rooms which acts like a heater all day anyway. Needless to say the place was absolutely boiling hot. That issue was solved for them by opening their three windows. Just before we left their room at 9:30pm we all got quite a surprise when we discovered there was a pub around the corner with possibly the loudest speakers any of us have ever heard (I’ll point out now that Linzi actually lives above a nightclub so that’s saying something). I’ll come back to their room shortly.

Sloan’s single room (218) was a lot better for noise as it was on a different side of the building. It wasn’t any better for heat, but she was able to keep her bedroom and bathroom window open to get the air flowing. Unfortunately, the noise from outside isn’t what bothered her. She was lucky enough to hear every orgasmic groan and moan of the couple having vigorous and very loud sex right next door. The mirrors were shaking on the wall and we got some hilarious quotes out of them to forever remember. Throw in that the other people in the hotel were wandering about in the corridor having a laugh at all times of the night, she wasn’t overly impressed with the paper-thin quality of the walls and doors. This is the room she stayed in for the duration of the stay and she realised quite quickly that the sheets weren’t being changed by housekeeping despite having large dirty marks on them. Urgh. As well as that, the new, thick carpet did nothing to hide the pothole in the floor right next to the bed. It was like someone had forgotten to put the floorboards down before they laid a carpet on top.

Allan and I were put into room 300 which we jokingly called the maids room. One of the single beds was broken (snapped in the middle) and we had single glazing that didn’t stay open unless you jammed something under it. As such, you may wish to ensure you have a couple of Pringles tubes with you as they worked wonders. The phone in the room had a lot of buttons missing and the covering that gave you the numbers for dialing within the hotel was nowhere. The room was lit by a lamp, with no ceiling light in the main area making it constantly gloomy. The view was an alley way at the back of the hotel that looked onto the pub making all the noise. Fab. Even better we only had the one window so leaving it open did nothing for the heat in the room and as there was no fan the air just sat still. Even jamming the door open didn’t encourage any air to flow. It was hellish. I was at least able to get a bit of a shower. I say a bit of a shower as the water pressure in this room was awful, but at least the water was hot.

You'll get Tea and coffee (if you're lucky you might even get two teabags, we only got one in the first room and two in the second) on the desk and if you want an iron there is a room on each floor with a board and a couple of irons in it. That does mean you can't do your ironing in the privacy of your own room.

===Sleep on it===

At about 10:30pm Allan and I had had enough of the noise. We could feel the music from the pub vibrating through the place and even worse it was some strange party and (I wish I was kidding) they played no more than two continuous tracks all night. The only time the noise stopped was when the DJ turned it down to shout at the crowd in the pub. I phoned to ask how late the pub is usually open till and was told rather quickly that they think it’s “about 3am, ok? Thanks! Bye!”. My heart sank. Allan called down at 11pm to ask if we could be moved room. Much to both of our bewilderment we were told we would have to wait till 1am and if we still couldn’t get to sleep to call back and they can check for cancellations. We were livid. It was a long wait till one, but it was easy not to fall asleep with the noise coming in through the now closed window. At 1am two very tired men trudged down to reception and got another room key from the handsome gentleman behind the desk. 215 this time. The room was lovely, nothing broken, quite large, unfortunately it had single glazing and was facing in the same direction. Less than two minutes in the room and we knew it wasn’t going to work. Back down to reception and in a panic we get offered a room with a ¾ sized bed, number 220.

Back up we went and rather than following our instincts and heading down the corridor to get to Sloan’s room (218) we decided the signs must be pointing in the opposite direction for a reason. As it turns out the whole corridor loops round on itself and we could have gotten to the room a lot quicker if we’d just went the way we thought we should have in the first place. We also wouldn’t have had to go through a whole corridor of rooms that smelled like urinal cakes (a popular fragrance within the hotel possibly?).

Room 220 was a bit of a hovel. It didn’t have a lamp, it didn’t have a phone. It smelled a bit foosty (a great Scottish word meaning mouldy, musty and rotten) but we were just so happy to get a room with double glazing pointing away from the pub. We started off with the window open due to the heat and had to close it thanks to pub dwellers making a racket on the quiet side of the building. By this time it was about quarter to two. We couldn’t wait to be up early the next day. Grumble. When we did get up, Allan went for a quick shower and had to straddle the taps thanks to the poor water pressure and the shower head that had one position. Comfy!

Unknown to us at the time, poor Linzi and Kev had thought they wouldn’t get moved rooms so decided to choose the stifling heat over the noise. They closed their windows and could still hear the noise anyway but just tried to sleep as best they could. “I have sweat in places I never knew existed” said Linzi when we met her for breakfast. Awesome.

===Night number Two===

In the morning we had to give our keys back before we left for the park as we’d be getting moved to the correct rooms when we got back. Due to the night we had all had, I made a point of saying at least three times to reception that we really need rooms with double glazing. Three times they said that would be done. Linzi also had a pop at them about the noise and was met with a really bored “oh yeah, the manager phones the police all the time. They told us we should expect it ‘cause we’re a city centre hotel”. I’m pretty sure “sorry” would have been a good thing to put in there, but it didn’t appear.

We arrived back from the park about 7 and got new room keys. Up we popped, Linzi and Kev were now in 320 (I think) and Allan and I went to room 325. We got to the door and tried the keys and they didn’t work. We went round to our room and they didn’t work. Another trip back down to reception and back up, this time we got into the rooms. It looked like we had been downgraded. The televisions in the rooms had become about ten times thicker (ancient fin-o-lux CRT sets) and the décor had jumped back to the early 80’s with the furniture looking like it hadn’t been replaced since then. We had what looked like a blood stain on the chair in our room. The carpets were just as bad, being threadbare and coming up at the doors and really showing off how horribly creaky the entire hotel was. The bathrooms, at least, were still very nice. They had double glazing too!

Our room was much the same, though I did take a slight rage when I saw the single glazed window in our room. This one, at the very least, opened without the help of Pringles tubes but came with the added extra of making a very loud knocking sound every time the wind blew. The tubes came back out to jam it in place. We had a light in the main area this time, though it didn’t go on and unless it was controlled by the same switch as the lamps above the painting on the wall, we couldn’t see if it even had a switch. The picture light worked mostly though did occasionally have the right hand bulb go off for a couple of minutes at a time.
Thankfully the noise from outside the hotel didn’t happen on Saturday night but the other residents were just as noisy and the place was still like an oven. Thanks to the heat we decided just to let the curtains get wet and left the window open. It took two days for our room to cool down to a normal temperature even with the window wide open.

===Unlocking mysteries===

We had all congregated in 325 for a bit of a wind down, with everyone going back to their rooms about 10. About two minutes after they left, Kev popped back asking if he’d picked up the wrong key as they couldn’t get back into their rooms. I’d kept my key in my pocket so we suggested catching up with Sloan. She’d gotten into her room already. Turns out the keys were just really bad at loosing the room details. Kev had to make another trip down to reception and get them to sort the card. Rather worryingly, when Sloan had to do the same thing the next night, the staff didn’t even ask for any security details. Any of the five times we had to take the keys back to be reset throughout the stay all we were asked was what room number we needed. You can imagine how uncomfortable we all felt knowing that anyone could find any key card and walk into the hotel, give them a room number and have free access to all your belongings or worse (Sloan commented about being a single woman on her own and that anything could have happened). I even read a review where someone was given a master key to unlock any door when their key card didn’t work! Scary stuff.

===Good morning? Ehh… naw…===

The morning after we had been all prepared to be up and out early so as to get in line for the biggest ride at Alton Towers. Unfortunately our plans were dashed when Linzi and Kevin realised the shower in their new room only worked on cold. That meant we had to get Linzi using our shower and Kevin used Sloan’s, holding us up about 20 minutes. The knock on effect was that we didn’t actually get on any rides till about 5 o’clock as the queues got a head start on us. We were less than impressed. We also discovered that Linzi and Kev’s phone in their room wasn’t working when anyone tried to dial in at this point which was strange. Another strange thing is that despite phoning reception to tell them about the issue… no one seemed to come and fix it at any point. It was actually suggested that they just hadn’t turned the temperature knob on the shower when they reported it too. There are no words.

===The Food===

We had booked the hotel on a bed and breakfast basis so each morning between 730am and 9am we made our way down to the restaurant at the car park doors. If it wasn’t for the other residents (in their pyjamas, talking about how they were spewing the night before and smoking right outside the doors) breakfast would be the only decent part of the hotel. It’s a buffet style set up with full English breakfast ready for your picking and also cereals breads yoghurts and fruits. There is no black pudding like the picture outside the restaurant suggests. The chef will even rustle you up some scrambled eggs if you ask him to. The staff at breakfast take your room number and then show you to your seat and explain where everything is. It’s possibly because they were older but you could tell the difference in their service between the people on the desk at reception. They were lovely and made you feel welcome and couldn’t do enough to help. So kudos on those lovely people!

We also ordered room service the first night we got there: three pizzas, one “prince burger” and one steak baguette. No one was particularly impressed with the pizzas, while the prince burger was just a burger on a roll with some chips. My steak baguette was banging (that’s a good thing) however. It wasn’t overly expensive either but you will get a £3 charge any time they bring it to you. It also took less than 30 minutes to arrive which was good. Unfortunately the room service shuts down at 9:30 as we found out to our detriment the second night we went to order. Thankfully there’s a fried chicken shop that did kebabs and pizzas and the like just across the road. There’s also a Tesco’s and a Sainsbury’s within a five minute walk.

===Other facilities===

The hotel also comes with a swimming pool that apparently has a sauna and a steam room. That’s the reason we booked this hotel over the others in the area but sadly, thanks to being knackered and just wanting to get sleep the whole time we never could muster up the courage to go down to the pool. I know it’s there, but I can’t venture to comment on the state of the place. Sorry!

===The Complaint===

The morning we left we asked to speak to the manager before we checked out. We were asked to take a seat in reception and after about ten minutes and two other people requesting to speak with him due to other complaints, he came over to us and we hit him with a giant list of complaints; broken beds, showers, windows, phones, lights but mostly about the noise (both outside and inside) and the keys. His response was nothing short of hilarious. He thoroughly blamed the staff for all being disinterested trainees which he then admitted was his fault for not training them better. He threw out the fantastic line (and I quote) “No-one wants to work in stoke” as well as reiterating that he’s been on to the police about the noise constantly and the terrible fob off of “it is a city centre hotel”. I took the chance to remind him that Linzi lives above nightclubs and that if any club in our city had the music turned up to that volume they’d be shut down in ten minutes. We also made sure he knew that the staff at breakfast were brilliant. He asked for a few minutes to “investigate” the complaint and then came back to ask what we would like the resolution to be. We asked for a full refund and he smiled and told us that he’d just had it authorized. I spent the day after trying to find out exactly how much that came to since we’d bought it as a package and eventually (after about 5 phone calls) it came out at £452.50 between the five of us. This means that 3 nights bed and breakfast was £90.50 each. I asked if we needed to check out and he took the keys and told us he’d deal with it which meant that we got the room service we had on the first night for free also.

===The Verdict===
This is a tough one. The rooms that were done up were nice. The rooms that were not weren’t but for £30 a night, they weren’t terrible to look at. The noise was unacceptable regardless of how cheap the rooms were so that’s a star off straight away. The broken beds, windows and poor housekeeping gets another star taken off. The showers not working, be it poor water pressure or just not giving any hot water takes a star off and the heat without any respite (even a simple desk fan would help!) takes another star off. I feel obligated to be generous and add a star back on for the fact we got a full refund. That’s two stars out of five from me.

Allan: 1 star out of five
Sloan: 2 stars out of five
Linzi: 1 star out of five
Kevin: 1 star out of five

Mathematics will tell you that’s 7 stars out of a possible 25 which I would work out to be… one star out of five. Oh dear. I’d say with this hotel if you are looking for a place that doesn’t mind you making as much noise as you want or running around in your pyjamas, then go for it. If you actually want a sleep at any point, avoid this place like the plague as it really is pot luck if you'll get a decent room or not.

Room Tip: Go to a a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank ryanando

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

As stated, you discussed these matters with my Deputy who has in the interim brought the meeting to my attention and the relevant departments for actioning.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

This is a dreadfully depressing place. My room (329) has no shower despite there being a curtain hiding the fact. I didn't check to see if there was a shower when I checked in (I shouldn't have to) and was not advised of this when I checked in. When I mentioned it to reception, I was told it was the only room without a shower and I could be moved if I wanted to (I'm here for 2 nights). However, it was too late by then and I didn't have the time to pack and unpack.

Breakfast is adequate and the restaurant has been updated and is pleasant.

The bedroom is spacious but the lighting is awful and with so much dark furniture, it is so depressing.

I'm a regular business traveller and I certainly won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if you require a shower.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Merlin25
Director_of_Sales_13, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review.

I have arranged to check this room with my Maintenance Manager to address the issues highlighted and would thank you for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed in the hotel Oct 2013 on way to Alton Towers. Room tiny and furniture/ decor dated. Had to ask for more towels, Spa Bath didn't work. TV sound kept cutting out and asked to be sorted as trying to watch favourite programme before going out for food - only to be given another TV by porter with same problem. Only to be told "there is a storm tonight so must be affecting the signal"...errr no... this is a hotel and this needs to be sorted. There was no reduction or apology about not working TV or Spa Bath.... Would NOT recommend or stay again.
Reception staff not helpful at all. Breakfast was lovely, friendly staff and good quality food.
This hotel stay was part of a three night weekend away - the first and third night were in a premier inn. Must say... the premier inns were of so much higher standard, quality of room, level of customer service and generaly FAR better.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Demelza S
Director_of_Sales_13, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Many thanks for posting your recent review.

I am sorry that you experienced some maintenance issues during your stay. We were awaiting a replacement pump for the jacuzzi which has now arrived and been fitted. The television is now being replaced.

Your constructive comments are appreciated.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I find it very hard to read the reviews that have been posted and relate them to the break my family and I have just had! for £300 we had 4 entry tickets for two days to Alton towers, tickets for Splash Landings water park, bed and breakfast for 4 in a well equipped family room for three nights. (Bearing in mind that the same break in the Alton Towers Hotel would cost £1200) we decided that value for money was a priority.
We were pleasantly surprised by the efficiency of the hotel staff.
We were traveling in a group of nine and there was no trouble finding lounge/bar space for drinks and catch up with adults and children from 4-15, even the life guard in the spa was friendly polite and helpful, the only comment I would like to make would be PLEASE get some decent coffee for breakfast.
Well done!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review following your recent visit to Stoke.

We are delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay here and also at Alton Towers. Your kind comments will be conveyed to the team.

Regarding the coffee at breakfast, you will be pleased to know that we took delivery of two new machines for the restaurant last week which dispense a range of coffees including espressos, cappuccinos and decaffeinated.

We hope to see you again when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel might look nice in the pictures but DO NOT be taken in! It was absolutely awful! We arrived and were ignored at reception for at least 5 minutes until the only member of staff who appeared to working booked us in. She was a trainee but there was no one there to oversee her. We got to our room which was freezing because the window had been left wide open, there were no towels in the bathroom, the toilet did not flush properly and there were marks all over the duvet. We decided not to stay at the hotel and went back to reception to hand in the key where we were again ignored for 10 minutes while the trainee was on the phone so left our key on the desk and went.

THIS IS THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER SEEN

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CPeach88

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

As the new manager I welcome your feedback, and rest assured corrective action will be taken to address these issues.

Patrick Fitzgerald.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanley
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent? Share your experiences!