“adequate but could be better”

Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hanley
Reviewed 4 December 2013

a group of us stayed here for a night in late august as we were heading to alton towers the following day. we booked two rooms at £35.00 a room which was a great deal although i wasnt quite sure what to expect. the hotel was easy to find from the main roads and the car parking was free. there are a few buildings adjacent though that look very run down otherwise the hotel is close to the city centre and night life. inside parts of the hotel look good and were well decorated / furnished however other parts need bringing up to date. the receptionist started off well but another member of staff arrived and they started chatting to each other...

the receptionist also took payment for both rooms up front. this wasnt explained on the website when i booked the rooms nor did the receptionist explain this as we stood in front of her. i thought this was a little unusual and ought to have been explained?

the hotel has obviously been extended at some point and is a little rabbit warren like. our rooms were in the"extension" and both over looked a builders yard. the rooms were clean and tidy but again need bringing up to date and a little tlc. having said that there was tea and coffee making facilities, the bathroom was ok and the bed was fine which are the most important factors.

there seems to be an issue with the bedroom doors as they all seem to slam shut which means doors banging shut constantly!! i guess there was no one about through the night as we weren't wakened by slamming doors however i'd have been most un impressed if we had been.

we did have a drink in the hotel bar which was nice but the service could have been better. our rate didn't include breakfast so we didn't eat at the hotel. we had breakfast at tesco supermarket cafe - however i wouldnt recommend this!!

all in all the hotel was adequate for what we needed and at the rate we paid i guess we can't really grumble however i'm not sure i would return and i certainly would'nt book it a higher rate.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank gr4nt4
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay here last August.

A refurbishment programme has been ongoing in recent months in the bedrooms, and indeed will continue for some time.

Your comments about the corridor doors slamming have been passed to the Maintenance Manager for his attention.

Do visit us again when next in the area.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

You wouldn't believe me if I said every thing that is awful about this hotel. I'll just note a few from my 3 night stay.
My room was well over 30 degrees when I walked into it and I couldn't adjust the temperature on the radiator so had to sleep with all my windows WIDE open in late November and I was still hot.

I was awoken by a phone call from reception at 10pm telling me that I'd blocked someone in the car park. I said this was impossible as I was parked in the middle of the car park to which they then said "yeah that's it." And I then said that im sure it's not my car and could they tell me the registration plate and they said "no, you need to come and move it." I got dressed and went down to the car park and low and behold it wasn't my car. No apology. ( how hard would it have been to check the registration and cross reference it with the guests at the hotel, rather than take a random guess. I'm told several other guests also got the same phone call).

And the worst experience was when I was speaking to my wife on FaceTime and she asked me about the room. I showed her it and then to my disgust and horror I saw that there was a huge skid mark on my bed sheet that I'd slept in the previous night. I can assure that it wasn't me! This either means that it was an extremely strong skidder or the sheets hadn't even been washed from the previous guest. Disgusting.

Don't bother eating here either because the staff are rude and the chef is appalling. I've never written a review before but I am so pissed off with this skid mark and the car thing that I felt that I had to!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Arron1988
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am sorry to read that there was a mix-up regarding your vehicle in our car park. It transpired that it was one of your colleagues vans that was causing an obstruction who ultimately moved it to another bay.

It surprises me that having realised your bed linen was soiled you did not inform a team member to have it replaced. Neither do I understand why you believe the chef to be appalling, for you made no mention of this when you were here either, given that he went out of his way to offer a variety of menus during your stay.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

As we only paid £32 for the night on a weekend it would be churlish to quibble but the hotel was a pleasant surprise. It certainly isn't at the cutting edge of interior decor or a halcyon example of style but it is perfectly adequate for a stopover and is hard to beat at these rates.

Bonus points for the free parking, central location and friendly staff. Negative points for the rather uncomfortable bed and the fact the spa bath wasn't functional.

All told we would have no qualms in staying again.

Room Tip: Not sure if the room types vary but we stayed in the rear of the property in what appeared to be a m...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark M
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review following your overnight stay her at the Quality Hotel.

We believe that the hotel offers value for money, given it's central location and free car parking, and it is pleasing to read that you are in agreement.

We are expecting delivery of a new motor within the next few days for the jacuzzi in the Leisure Club, by which time it will be fully operational. I will arrange for the bed to be replaced given your comments.

Your constructive review is appreciated.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

A mate and I recently stayed at this hotel and admittedly we weren’t expecting much considering we picked this up for a bargain price of £36 for a Friday night. However we were pleasantly surprised as it surpassed our expectations. It was well presented, well decorated and the rooms were warm, inviting and the bed was comfortable. The staff were helpful and catered to our needs even if they were minimal. It was prime location to the nightlife and very well priced considering that. It certainly provided us with a base for a great night out.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tom A

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting your recent review.

We are delighted to read that you had a great evening here on a night out in Stoke.

Being in the city centre makes us an ideal venue for evening entertainment and I'm glad that you were able to make the most of it.

Do visit us again when next in town.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed in the Quality Hotel when i visited my daughter who is at Staffs Uni in Stoke and for the price we booked the hotel for i want expecting very much but what a surprise we were allocated a lovely large double room smart decor nice bathroom. I couldnt fault it and would highly recommend it. the location is excellent in Hanley town centre. We were given a lovely friendly greeting by Sarah on reception on arrival and she was also on duty when we checked out and she made a point of asking us if we had enjoyed our weekend and what our plans were for the Sunday she is certainly an asset and a good ambassador for the hotel (her name badge said trainee but she was very professional and efficient) We didnt have time to sample the breakfast or the leisure faclities this time but there is always next time as we will be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Alison V
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting your recent review.

We are delighted to read that you had such a comfortable stay here whilst visiting your daughter at Staffordshire University.

Do try and make time on your next visit to enjoy our leisure facilities, and we look forward to welcoming you again at the Quality Hotel.

I have passed on your kind comments to Sarah who made you feel so welcome.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Checked in and the reception staff were unenthusiastic & uninterested. Our room was out of the main hotel, over a small courtyard and into an annex. The electronic card key did not let us into the annex building (changed key no.1). Arrived at our room, the door was wide open. Before we went out for the evening, we went to draw the curtains and noticed all the windows seals, frames & cills were covered in black mould and furry mold spores. Complined to management who said they'd send a cleaner. On returning to our room later that even, our new card key would not let us into our room, back to reception (changed key no.2). Cleaners had been and cleaned 2 out of 4 windows, WHY ? My partner bought cleaning wipes and cleaned the 2 windows herself and deposited filthy wipes into the bin. Under the bin liner the bin was 2 inches high with ash, cigarette ends & dirt. Back to management we went and he agreed that is NOT acceptable. The following day we left the room late morning and did not return until the early hours of the following morning. Once again our card key would not let us enter our annex (changed key no.3). whilst attempting this we noticed that our room, which was next to the annex entrance door had ALL the curtains & blinds wide open with a full view into our room (ground floor) and that 1 of the uPVC widows was wide open.
The entrance to the hotel on the Saturday night was like trying to fight your way through a night club with people everywhere being dropped off by taxis that were going to a local club/bar.
Management did offer a free breakfast for my partner & I.
On departure we once again expressed our dissatisfaction & disappointment with our stay to the duty manager.
I have reviewed several hotels & other establishments over the last couple of years and I am by no means a habitual moaner, but i'm afraid I lost all confidence in this hotel whilst staying there and could not wait to leave.
This hotel could be a cracker, as the decor and building is lovely, it just needs a firm hand, a better customer service & a really good clean.
And regarding the electronic key cards, if any member staff had blamed me once more for keeping the card key close to my phone, I would have screamed. This was the 8th hotel I've stayed at this year (6th with card keys) and I have had NO problems with any other card key.
I will NEVER be returning to this hotel, and I would definitely NOT recommend it.
This hotel should be called 'Hotel Stoke' and leave the word 'Quality' out of it, because quality it is NOT.... It is not even bargain basement.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else !!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GarethB1971

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review.

I am sorry to read that our service levels fell short on this occasion.

Your comments as relayed previously have been discussed with the team here for corrective action.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We were in a room with no ventilation or exits. Luckily it was only for one night. We had an evening meal and breakfast. Food was OK. I would guess this a budget hotel but the room quality is also on the cheap side.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coopermanloose
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am sorry to read that your room was not to your liking. We have an ongoing refurbishment programme in place which is nearing completion and I will view this with the contractors.

Do try us again when next in the area.

Patrick Fitzgerald.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanley
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Best Western Stoke East
Best Western Stoke East
#7 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent? Share your experiences!