“Poor Customer Service by Recepetion lets this place down”

Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hanley
Reviewed 1 January 2014

After reading some of these reviews on trip advisor I was wondering what to expect and honestly was expecting the worse. However I kept an open mind during my stay.
On Arrival the place does seem to look very tired from the exterior however inside some money has been spent on decorating the hotel. Once I have arrived my room I was pleasantly surprised that the room was clean and again looked like it was in the process of being refurbished.

Positives from my stay:
The night porter on that evening and the waitress who served me was a credit to the company were extremely polite and friendly.
The room from a hygiene point of view was clean and spotless.
The rooms 'looked' like they were beginning to be refurbished which is pleasing to see.

Negatives:
Unfortunately where this hotel lets itself down is with the quality of customer service given by other members of staff at the reception. Upon arrival it was hardly a warm welcoming and a lack of manners. During my stay I had problems with the shower facilities where the water dribbled out at a scorching hot temperature making it impossible to use (guessing a broken thermostat as well as the tap in general. The shower head had seen better days and likewise didn't function properly. Why this wasn't checked before me being issued the room I am not sure why?
Upon checking out I mentioned it to a member of staff on the reception who could honestly not give an absolute dam about the issue. All I got in response was a half hearted, mumbled, no eye contact apology 'Sorry about that' in other establishments they aim to try and solve the issue and satisfy the customer straight away i.e basic manners some sort of gesture of good will, and not just be plain rude about the situation.

The noise levels as it is only single glased windows it was very noisy and consequently I didnt get much sleep at all.

Overall I feel that the price I paid for this room was average (Just) if everything worked! and I am certainly glad I didn't pay the full rate as I would be very bitterly disappointed. If staff were up to the same standards of the night porter and waitress I would say it offers good value for money. However based on the service I have received on first and last impressions it is poor and would contemplate not visiting again due to simply rude staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JKirkham6
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for your recent review.

I am sorry to read that you experienced a lack of customer care from the receptionist who you took the time to report the problem with your shower. This is unacceptable and I will address the matter with the Reception Manager.
As you say, it is a pity that this attitude let down the other team members who did offer good customer service.
Your constructive comments are appreciated and will be acted upon, and I do hope that you will visit us again, despite this experience.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We had a very enjoyable stay here over Christmas. All the staff were really friendly and helpful and even opened up the pool for us on Christmas Day when it was su ppose to be closed.

Christmas dinner was really good, there was a choice of Turkey, gammon and beef. There was plenty of it too. The chef was really cheerful serving us the meat. The hotel decorated the tables with festive candles and sparkles and provided Christmas crackers and Christmas hats for everyone to wear. And we were able to have a lovely latte/coffee afterwards.

We were a large party of 21 people and 3 dogs. The hotel allowed us to use the lobby and a private room so that we could socialise after our dinner.

The bar stayed open until 11pm and the manager regularly came in to check if everything was ok.

We had an evening buffet that consisted of sandwiches, chips and pizza, all of which was lovely too.

Our room smelt like fresh paint and looked like it had recently been refurbished. The bed was fresh and clean and all the sheets were bright white and pressed. The towels were the same. There was also a new carpet in the room. Future improvements the hotel could make would be to update the tv's and maybe the cabinates, but that was nothing major.

The shower was a bit hard to find the right temperature but was fine when we did!

On our way home now and feel on a real high- we had a brilliant brilliant time at The Quality Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Lyndsey_Liverpool_7
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review following on from the Christmas festivities.

We are delighted to read that your stay here over the festive period was enjoyable, and that the team made you and your family feel so welcome. Equally, we all shared in that enjoyment and were happy to see that all of your group had such a good time.

Your kind comments will be shared with the team, and we hope to see you all again next year.

Regards,
Patrick fitzgerald.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Family Xmas meal, less than festive. few streamers and crackers but absolutely no music or atmosphere and bar doesn't serve coffee. No menu out, so had to wait for waitress to offer our 2 options.When serving, both sides of the table were served from one place by leaning across the table instead of going round. After starters half our pates were cleared and half left. Our dessert orders were taken, with "I know it's a bit early, but....", then a few minutes later desserts were served - WE HADN'T EVEN HAD OUR MAINS and soup bowls were still on table. We weren't directed to fetch our mains so after sitting for a while we took it upon our selves to go up. Choice of 2 desserts, but the chocolate torte we were offered was actually a chocolate mousse. The waiter dropped some plates, picked up the large bits and left all the shards on the floor. Not ideal with small children in the room and ladies with open toe shoes. No Santa this year, the waiter gave out the kids presents and no coffee and mince pies unless we paid extra. Before we'd even finished, the lights were dimmed and the 3 waiting on staff were leaning on the servery, arms folded, clearly waiting for us to leave. Eventually we were told to go into the bar so they could clear the table. There wasn't even anyone serving in the bar. We have been here for other Xmas meals and had Santa, music, mince pies and a good festive atmosphere but this time I can honestly say I've never felt so unwelcome and like we're inconveniencing people by being there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alyson L
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for your recent review.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment with the Sunday lunch.

There seems to be some confusion regarding the style of service on this occasion. The brochure clearly states that it is a Family Christmas Carvery which was served on the day. Indeed, the Restaurant Supervisor reminded you of this when you were placing your families presents on a side table.
Because of the size and length of your table some plates had to be removed from the front. Only the side plated were cleared after the first course.
Presents were provided for all children, although were not advertised.
Coffee and mince pies were listed as an extra. At the end of your meal, which did have festive music playing in the background, you requested, and were served this extra. Also, bar service was available at all times.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Reception staff stand around talking most of the time, they were dry, uninterested and looked miserable to be working there! Definitely need to work on reception customer service - very rude and uneducated 'head receptionist' telling me I hadn't paid when I clearly had...

Bar = pricey

Room = old fashioned and dirty, full of noise from local clubs

Breakfast = cold, hard and tasteless!

Worst stay of my life! Avoid this hotel at all costs, I'd wait for the new premier in down the road!

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Liverpool32456
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you for your recent review.

Given your scathing comments, I am surprised that you did not bring any of these issues to a member of management during your stay ,which is normal practise. In so doing, problems can be resolved at the time which is in everyone's interest.
We attempt to contact all guests shortly after they occupy their room to ensure they are comfortable, and indeed we make a similar enquiry on departure. So there are many opportunities presented throughout a guest's stay to resolve matters.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Upon reading some of the reviews left on here I was apprehensive about our stay here, however, I couldn't have been more wrong. The staff were very welcoming and friendly, the parking was extremely easy and efficient with plenty of signs advising what you had to do and the hotel reception was clearly marked from the car park. Our room was extremely clean and tidy and plenty big enough for the four of us. Whilst yes, I agree that the hotel requires an amount of updating, I understand that there is new management in place who are now tasked with this job and they are well aware of what needs doing here. The pool and fitness area was a bonus and my children thoroughly enjoyed the use of the pool whilst we were there.
Overall we havd a very enjoyable stay and will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: We had a family room which gave us adults enough privacy and the children emough room to move!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa E
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting your recent review.

We are deligted to read that your family had such an enjoyable time here in Stoke, and that you had the opportunity to use our Leisure Club during your stay.

Equally pleasing is the fact that you chose to try the hotel for yourself and weren't put off by some of the more negative reviews who, rather than attempting to be constructive, enjoy being negative in the extreme.

We look forward to welcoming you again here at the Quality Hotel.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

For the price we paid, it was fantastic value - £77.40 for 2 nights Room Only. I had emailed prior to arrival asking for a nice room etc.Pool facilities fine but they do not provide towels so you have to take your own. Saturday afternoon had swimming lessons going on so we were happy just to use jacuzzi/sauna/steam room. Very friendly staff and the people of Hanley are so friendly - every shop we went into, could not get over how helpful/friendly the staff were. Would definitely stay here again, ideal for a shopping weekend.

Needs shelves in the bathroom, nowhere to put toiletries. Loud music from in house function - did finish at 12.30am but if we had wanted to sleep any earlier, would not have been able to. Breakfast overpriced at £9.95 if you prebook or £11.95 if not as you have tesco/saimsbury/morrisons/weatherspoons all in walking distance literally 5/10 mins offering full english breakfast for around £4.50. If hotel were more competitive e.g. say £6.00 would probably have eaten there.

Room Tip: We had room 212 - lovely size, bath & shower both worked. If a function going on in hotel you w...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank HRH59
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review.

We are delighted to read that you had such a good time both in the hotel and in Hanley itself.

With the free facilites on offer here, namely car parking and the Leisure Club, as you state, the hotel offers excellent value for money.

We hope to see you again on a future visit.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

a group of us stayed here for a night in late august as we were heading to alton towers the following day. we booked two rooms at £35.00 a room which was a great deal although i wasnt quite sure what to expect. the hotel was easy to find from the main roads and the car parking was free. there are a few buildings adjacent though that look very run down otherwise the hotel is close to the city centre and night life. inside parts of the hotel look good and were well decorated / furnished however other parts need bringing up to date. the receptionist started off well but another member of staff arrived and they started chatting to each other...

the receptionist also took payment for both rooms up front. this wasnt explained on the website when i booked the rooms nor did the receptionist explain this as we stood in front of her. i thought this was a little unusual and ought to have been explained?

the hotel has obviously been extended at some point and is a little rabbit warren like. our rooms were in the"extension" and both over looked a builders yard. the rooms were clean and tidy but again need bringing up to date and a little tlc. having said that there was tea and coffee making facilities, the bathroom was ok and the bed was fine which are the most important factors.

there seems to be an issue with the bedroom doors as they all seem to slam shut which means doors banging shut constantly!! i guess there was no one about through the night as we weren't wakened by slamming doors however i'd have been most un impressed if we had been.

we did have a drink in the hotel bar which was nice but the service could have been better. our rate didn't include breakfast so we didn't eat at the hotel. we had breakfast at tesco supermarket cafe - however i wouldnt recommend this!!

all in all the hotel was adequate for what we needed and at the rate we paid i guess we can't really grumble however i'm not sure i would return and i certainly would'nt book it a higher rate.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank gr4nt4
Patrick F, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay here last August.

A refurbishment programme has been ongoing in recent months in the bedrooms, and indeed will continue for some time.

Your comments about the corridor doors slamming have been passed to the Maintenance Manager for his attention.

Do visit us again when next in the area.

Patrick Fitzgerald.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanley
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Stone House Hotel
Stone House Hotel
#2 of 5 in Stone

Been to Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent? Share your experiences!