“It's good... In fact, it's very good.”
Review of Jaflong Curry

Jaflong Curry
Ranked #5 of 29 Restaurants in Hanley
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Ok... I'll get straight to the point - I like the Jaflong.

But what is it about this uninspiring looking Indian restaurant, in a run down area of Hanley?

Well, it's not the decor. Whilst generally clean and acceptable, it certainly doesn't offer any pizazz and definitely lacks the wow factor. It's quaint, has an authentic, pleasant atmosphere, but there's no denying a bit of modernisation wouldn't go a miss.

So why have I visited this place almost weekly for over 20 years? Why does it have so many regulars, many of whom have been visiting longer than myself?

Well, it's cheap! But that's just a bonus, because if the prices went up 20% I'd still go regularly. The service is very hospitable and welcoming; but I've visited fine dining venues where service truly excels.

The reason I love this place is simply the food. I've been to numerous Indian restaurants (dozens in Stoke, many in Birmingham, Manchester and Rusholme) and this is quite simply the best tasting Indian food I've eaten. Yes, I've had some excellent food elsewhere, but this is the most consistent, fresh and flavoursome. The portion sizes are good and certainly value for money. But I can't emphasise enough just how good the food is here. If you like a curry that's full-flavoured, rich and delicious then you won't be disappointed.

Don't be put off by the uninspiring exterior - because there is a hidden gem inside!

5  Thank TenaciousADJ

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Been here loads of times, by far the best Indian in Hanley. Food is lovely every time. I usually have the same thing every time I visit but fancied a change tonight so had some thing different and it was still yummy. We were the only people in tonight which was a shame because I can't fault them on anything!

1  Thank Sam7541
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We visited last night as a last minute night out.we had never been before even though we live in Hanley. The decor is dated but the place is very clean.we had chicken tikka masalla whic was the best we had ever had.will definitely be returning.thanks for a lovely night

1  Thank kittycougar
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

We always go to Jaflong for family meals and have been going for nearly 20 years.
The food is always delicious and plentiful and the staff are always friendly and welcoming. We have tried other curry restaurants but we always return to Jaflong.
Give it a try and you will not be disapointed!

2  Thank Val_and_Shell
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Well my husband booked a table for new years eve for us and our daughter who is 7. I found the restaurant very cramped, we seemed to be all sitting so close and on top of each other. We ordered a drink each to start with, then we had popadoms and dips which werent free like other places, we both had a curry and we shared a rice and nan bread, The Nan bread was like one of those you buy in tesco very small, not like other resturants we have been too. The portions were really small size especially my Husbands Vindaloo which they put on to a heater on the table, I had chicken Balti which wasnt too bad. There was no menu for kids so my daughter just had chips. We ask them to leave the popadoms as my daughter wanted to eat them with her curry, they didnt seem happy about that but we had paid for them and she wanted to eat them ! We finished our meals after feeling rushed by the waiter and he kept taking items away from the table, My daughter had 1 more coke and a small portion of ice cream and we left, we paid the bill and it came to wait for it £65 for the poxy meal we had and 1 drink each. I was absoulotly shocked when they said how much ! We hardly had anything.and it wasnt double time or anything for new year as we checked and they had said it was normal service! I would advice against going there, its rubbish food at a very expensive price. Very dissapointing.