“A really well done Museum”

Gladstone Pottery Museum
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Longton
More attraction details
Owner description: Gladstone is the only complete Victorian pottery factory from the days when coal burning ovens made the world's finest bone china. Traditional skills, original workshops, and the cobbled yard and huge bottle ovens transport visitors back in time. Visit the gift shop and tea room and have a go at throwing a pot, making a bone china flower or decorating pottery. Please allow two to three hours for your visit. The shop and cafe, which serves a selction of drinks and light lunches, are open to non-museum visitors.
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We were really (pleasantly) surprised by this Museum. It is on the site of the original factory and it seems the original factory and atmosphere have been preserved. It tells a story of the pottery industry but also the economical and social conditions of the time. There are demonstrations of the skills such as throwing and flower making. The information posters around the museum are well done and give so much clear information. The restaurant/cafe is a little tired but the snacks were good.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

Several large bottle kilns, old buildings, shop, old machinery and a cafe. There is also an unusual display of toilets and sanitary ware. Provides an interesting insight into working conditons in the Victorian era. Skilled museum staff also demonstrate various aspects of producing pottery. Charming complex. Well worth a visit. Our third visit.

Reviewed 14 September 2011

I used to visit the Gladstone with my father when I was a child and remembered how much I enjoyed it back then, so thought it would be a nice idea to go there with my partner for a nice easygoing day out after a couple of very active days at Alton Towers.

So, around 10 years after my last visit, the Gladstone is definitely not as busy as I remember it, but in a way that made it much nicer as you can spend as much time as you like in each part and really explore the place at your leisure. This also meant that we got private demonstrations of pot throwing and flower making, and tried them out for ourselves without an audience. We also gave decoration a go, although it is designed more for children, we had fun and spent a lot of time chatting to the nice lady there who was doing some impressive work painting a vase.

Some areas have been updated, such as the toilet museum, which has become more modern but still shows a great deal of history. And I don't remember the Doctors House from my visits when I was a little girl, but that was very informative. It's nice to see they have gone a bit high tech but haven't taken it over the top.

The place is well looked after but not clinically clean and sparkly, so it still gives a good representation of what it was like to work there. You could make it round the whole thing within a couple of hours, but we spent 5 hours at the Gladstone.

The staff were all very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Although some of them were clearly busy, they made time to smile and have a quick chat to make you feel welcome.

We left before it was time for the museum to close, but I had left my bag there and called up. The staff had a thorough look around but couldn't locate it. I was able to return just over an hour later (15 minutes before they closed) and they let me back in to run around and hunt for my bag and were very understanding and helpful. I found it in the doctors house under his desk (my boyfriend had left it there, and he wont hear the end of that!) and we all had a laugh about it in the shop afterward as they were preparing to close up and go home.

I'm now 24 so I wasn't sure if the Gladstone would be as good as my memories of it years ago, but I was very pleased with the visit. I didn't expect that it would particularly thrill my 21 year old boyfriend, but he found it very informative and loved the interactivity of making his own pot and flower, and painting a wizard. He couldn't wait to show my family what we'd made when we got back. It's nice to see that something so simple can really make someones day, whatever age they are.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

I was very surprised at the museum. It was very well preserved and also wasn't in pristine condition as many places try to be. It showed the true feel of a pot bank and is a great place to remember our heritage. The activities were excellent and the staff were all very helpful and friendly. It wasn't too busy when we were there which is how I like it when I visit somewhere as you do wet chance to interact better with the staff and exhibitions. I especially thought the doctors house was informative as I didn't realise this would be there. Overall an excellent trip right on the doorstep.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

We made a pot and bone china flowers, it was amazing and also very educational.