“Fantastic B&B amazingly CLEAN and QUIET”

Hermitage Working Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Froghall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I have just got back from an amazing trip at Alton Towers, where I stayed for two nights at the Hermitage Working Farm in a twin room. The room was sparkling clean, in fact the cleanest hotel room I have ever stayed in! The beds were comfortable, the television was a good size for the room and was mounted on the wall which mad it easy to see from both the beds. The En-suite was well presented and I loved the personalized touches. However the shower was a little small as we are both quite large. The decoration was in keeping with the age of the property, and I would not have had it any other way! The exposed beams were a particular highlight! The location was fantastic and had good views of the country side which we enjoyed from the seating outside, it was a very peaceful location and we enjoyed meeting the B&B cat and dog.
The staff were very polite and helpful, we checked in quickly and received a fantastic personalized service at breakfast - the fully English is worth going for!

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

Very peaceful and beautiful views. Though not many windows to see them.
Comfortable and clean. Very dated and upstairs bedrooms the beds had to pulled into the middle of the room as you could easily get concussion.

Little things let it down especially as its not a cheap place to stay eg. No hair dryer, no tea bags or welcome tray. Beds have seen better days. Very dark and cold downstairs though to be expected as old barn/shed.

On the plus side is that the farmer is very friendly and the views. Lovely for a short break. Think a little over priced.

We didn't try the breakfast as couldn't afford it.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank fizzfuzzy
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I travelled as part of a couple visiting Alton Towers and needed a nearby place to stay, great location for this as it's only 5-10 minutes down the road in the car. There were plenty of suggested places to stay when visiting Alton Towers, however they were all further away/more expensive than this option. Keeping that in mind, we didn't expect much, just a bed to sleep in. When we arrived we got a great surprise, the farm buildings are beautiful as is the countryside it is based in. The staff who greeted us were very friendly and polite, we arrived late and they didn't say a thing, just asked how we found our journey!
Our room was exceptionally clean, as I am a bit of a clean freak I always worry about this sort of thing. The only thing I could complain about is the carpet in the bathroom (eek!) but I found the room so charming I was willing to overlook it. I have read in some reviews that they had a power shower in their room, our shower was very weak (but very hot!) so I'm assuming they are in the middle of replacing them perhaps. The decor of the room may be a little dated for some, but it suits the look and feel of the farm, so it didn't bother me at all.
Kitchen was great, had a microwave, oven, small stove and very decent sized fridge so perfect for making your own food as there isn't a great deal of restaurants nearby.
I have to be honest, the bed wasn't the best. I think they are in need of an update, but not so uncomfortable that it was impossible to sleep in.
The breakfast was amazing! Very fresh, best full breakfast I think I've ever had. They tell you it's all locally sourced fresh food they use and you can definitely tell! 10/10. And the staff at breakfast are just as friendly as the other staff we met.
All in all it was a very relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff who were accommodating, and a great view no matter what window you look from. Fantastic value for money, especially considering that some bog standard hotels nearby were charging the same or more, just because they are near Alton Towers. Recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Very overpriced. The bedroom was furnished very old fashioned and dated decor.There was a tiny window in the depressing room half of which was misted up.It was so dark we needed to have the light on during the day.The mattress seemed well used and was very uncomfortable.There were nice biscuits, china mugs and plenty of refreshments i.e. Tea, coffee.The breakfast was ok nothing special and I was told I could have either a hash brown or a piece of fried bread - at £92 for the night - how stingy.We wont be returning - there are plenty of places nearby which are the same price and that are nicer and more value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Sparkles99
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Lovely owners who are accommodating and friendly, despite our very late arrival. Clean yet dated rooms with a wonderful power shower. Food very good, although I only had a continental; undoubtedly the full English would be excellent. Beds a little uncomfortable, but overall, amazing value for money. Fantastic access to the prettiest parts of the Peaks, a steam railway and Alton Towers. Couldn't recommend Hermitage highly enough.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Ok..this seems to be the first review since 2012. As with the majority of my postings on here I didn't pay for my accommodation as I was working away with and my respective company paid.

Rather than be sent to an established hotel chain I managed to locate Hermitage Working Farm through this site. What attracted me was the location for the local site I was visiting plus it's setting which is nestled in the Peak District, also if you can ensure income is going to local business rather than corporate ones there is a sense of 'doing your bit' or in my case, the company doing it right!

I stayed in a family room which is furnished with a bunk bed and 1 double bed. TV, coffee / tea facilities and a shower, which was quite powerful. A chair, wardrobe and dressing table was the remaining features.

If you want frills and an abundance of extras then maybe look elsewhere but if you want to escape from the norm then I suggest this place could be for you?
The room is slightly dated but hell I'm not here to judge it on the colour of the wallpaper or carpet.
The important thing is I slept like the proverbial log!

There is free wifi (a bonus) and the mobile phone signal was crystal clear (Vodafone and Orange).

The one thing I look for is cleanliness and for this I could not fault my room.

For £5 extra you have the option of a full English breakfast, which I took advantage of. Even though I don't eat meat I was well catered for and had a plate of scrambled eggs, hash brown, tomato, fried bread and mushrooms. It was well cooked and very very little grease on my plate. Cereals and toast are also available as is fresh tea and coffee.

I've even bought a dozen fresh free range eggs to take home too.

The downside....I only had the 1 night here.

I will certainly recommend the Hermitage Working Farm to the company I work in regards to adding it too their approved list of hotels and bed and breakfasts.

I hope to return but in my own time so I can enjoy the surroundings.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2012

we stayed in the coach house at hermitage farm, it was clean and reasonable, the only thing it was dated, but what you needed it for it was great lovely scenery and really close to Alton Tower, we were out by first thing in the morning and not back till late so only slept there. the family who owned the farm are lovely and friendly. We were lucky to get the deal we did as we got it on a cancellation but well worth the money and you could get a cook breakfast as well for a extra fee. would recommend it there are as few of you's going to save money.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Froghall
George Hotel
#2 of 17 in Stoke-on-Trent
The Lodge Bed and Breakfast
The Lodge Bed and Breakfast
#4 of 17 in Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Hermitage Working Farm? Share your experiences!