“A Near Perfect Country House Hotel”
Review of The Upper House

The Upper House
Ranked #1 of 1 Barlaston B&B and Inns
Cerritos, California
“A Near Perfect Country House Hotel”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed there for a romantic night with my partner and had a wonderful experience. The room itself was spacious and luxurious, as was the rest of the hotel. The surrounding area was absolutely perfect, as well. Plus their complimentary breakfast menu was extensive and well-prepared. Our one complaint was that the bedroom radiator was on a timer, and the bathroom radiator didn't work at all, and so the room got fairly chilly during certain times in the evening. Great experience, though!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Lovely quaint village with a great but hidden venue. I attended a wedding here as a guest and was delighted by the surrounding and venue. Of a hundred or so wedding I've been this is maybe top ten within its price range. I've popped back for Afternoon Tea and loved every second, it felt like visiting old friend not a corporate venue.
The pricing was reduced for the midweek event and a couple of younger staff were a little flustered by some changes and requests but nothing too obvious. Timely serving and turnaround and very polite obliging staff. Our room as spotless and well stocked. few nearly country pub just a few minute away too if you fancy escaping from your escape.

Room Tip: On the left going downhill, opposite the green. I drove past it twice.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bob L
Halifax, UK
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The location of this hotel is lovely, just off the green at Barlaston and along a narrow driveway to the manor house which has lovely views over open fields. The house has a lovely atmosphere with wood panelling and large open fireplace. It retains the quaint feel of an old house. The staff were very friendly and soon checked us in. Finding the room was interesting as the floors were on several different levels with squeaky floorboards. The lift was slow and small but part of the quirky feel. We were there for a wedding and went through to the rear of the hotel which was in a modern extension. The meal was good and the staff friendly and efficient. Our room felt old fashioned but everything we needed was there. Tea coffee and water were all included which was nice. Everything was clean and the flat screen TV had freeview channels. If I was in the area I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was so releived to arrive here after my dreadful experience at the George Hotel in Stoke. The staff were very helpful, effieicnt and pleasant. My room was really excellent with everything in good condition and nicely put together. Water fizzy and still, coffee, tea, etc all on hand, immaculate bathroom and very nice products. Comfy bed, decent bedding, 4 pillows, clean carpets and no dust - such a releif! Dinner was fabulous value and very nice food served with a smile and courtesy that would be good even in a luxury 5 star hotel. I looved it and would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We were invited to a black tie/dress to impress event last night hosted by a friend of friends. We were all congregated into a spacious waiting room for pre dinner drinks. Unfortunately with it being winter we weren't able to take advantage of the doors that would open up onto an outdoor seating area/patio. This would be ssomething fantastic to look forward to on warmer, brighter nights.

We were ushered by Phil to be seated and the starters of tomato soup, melon or pate all received a resounding nod of approval as did the mains and deserts. The room was big enough for probably 8 to 10 seating 10 people with a dance area.

The food was of a high standard and we my wife and I, friends new and old had a fantastic time. The Upper House is set in a beautiful rural location close to a small village and convenience store and 3 minutes off the A34 trunk road. There are plenty of walks for ramblers and nature lovers or the canal for mountain biking. This was our first visit and we will be returning in the future for a meal with our family. This venue comes very highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank supanova000
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I have been to The Upper House a number of times .It is a traditional country hotel in a perfect countryside setting.
I have held 2 conferences there which were perfect.
Today I went for lunch with my friend. The welcome was excellent. The staff were very attentive and were top notch.
The Christmas tree in the reception was totally magnificent .
The food was gorgeous ,freshly cooked and perfect.The lounge was so traditional with the open fire lit and very homely
If I didn't live so close I would love to stay the night...
A well kept secret in Stoke on Trent...

A welcoming hotel in a delightful setting

Room Tip: I only gave poor to Fitness centre and swimming pool as it doesn't have one and to be honest doe...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were a part of a wedding party at The Upper House, November 2014. In our little group they're was myself, the wife and Charlie, 18months old. We arrived and checked in straight away. The hotel is set in lovely surroundings, very private. Considering we had a small toddler we were given the room 'Foxglove', which was located on the top floor. The room was very nice but once the cot was set up the room was very cramped. The bathroom was also very small, no bath, just a walk in shower etc, thought the price was a little high (£85) considering the small room we were given. Everything was very clean and the bed extremely comfy.

The whole day was fantastic, the setting, food etc. It would have been nice to get the whole place to ourselves as with a youngster I felt a bit embarrassed as he widely ran around enjoying the space downstairs.

The hotel is set in its own country grounds which are very well looked after. The wedding ceremony and Wedding breakfast was set in a large orangery. There was about 70 people for both which was a good number for space etc inside. The night time do was in a large function room which probably would hold 150 people.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barlaston
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
The Moat House
The Moat House
#1 of 1 in Acton Trussell

Been to The Upper House? Share your experiences!