“Getting far more than you would expect”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bronte
Cat's Pjamas Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 3 Bronte B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Schliengen, Germany
“Getting far more than you would expect”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

There is a saying:
There is no greater pleasure than to suprise a guest by giving him more than he would expect.
Cat's Pjamas seems to take care of their guest in exactly this way.
Luckily this was our longest stay in NZ for five very enjoyable days.
We never felt more welcomed and catered for.
My own highligt was the self made chocolate on the night table.
Another is the view at the breakfast table - sunset above rabbit Island - unforgettable.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
CatsPJ7081, Owner at Cat's Pjamas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Hi Steffen, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. I always enjoy having guests stay longer such as yourselves - get to know you a little and gives you an opportunity to explore our wonderful region more. Wishing you well as you head into summer and we descend into winter. Glad you enjoyed the chocolates! Warm regards, Lis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I spent almost three months in New Zealand, and my stay at Cat's Pjamas was, without a doubt, one of best experiences I had on my trip.

I chose Cat's Pjamas, in part, because I'm an Ironman triathlete and was using my NZ trip both for sightseeing and for training. Chris is also a triathlete, and I could tell from the website that Cat's Pjamas would be a fantastic home base for training.

The experience itself vastly exceeded my expectations. Chris was out of town, but Lis did everything she could to help me both maximize my training experiences and my sightseeing of the region (which was my favorite area in New Zealand). I had access to a full home gym equipped with everything needed by any triathlete, an endless pool, and a wealth of knowledge about local training locations. Lis helped me plot out safe cycling routes, pointed me in the direction of great trails for running, and then graciously prepared protein shakes for me upon my return. She even loaned me a Camelbak backpack so that I could do a long run on the trails in Abel Tasman Park and graciously allowed me to do several loads of laundry (triathletes go through lots of clothes!). I could not help but feel like I was in triathlon-training-heaven.

Aside from the sporty stuff, Cat's Pjamas was absolutely stunning. I stayed in Max's room, which was spacious and comfortable--- I got some of the best sleep I'd had in months! Every morning, I ate delicious (and healthy!) breakfasts prepared by Lis, who is quite the cook, indeed. Lis even did turn-down service, leaving delicious chocolates and dessert, which was as very welcome touch. The place could not have been more spotless.

The highlight, however, was the hospitality. From the moment I pulled into the driveway, Lis was nothing but incredibly helpful. She spent a good deal of time with me after my arrival describing all of the highlights of the region and helping me to maximize my visit, and then every morning, helped me plan my days so as to incorporate the training and the sightseeing. Every place that I visited, at her suggestion, was fantastic. I truly felt like I was living in a home and being welcomed into a family for a few days. Lis was a great conversationalist and has had some very interesting experiences!

I'd give Cat's Pjamas 6 stars, if I could. It was that great.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
CatsPJ7081, Owner at Cat's Pjamas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Thanks for writing such a long and interesting epistle Amanda! I'm sitting here thinking you're raising expectations fairly high for my next visitors :-) Hope I can live up to it! I will agree with you this is an amazing part of the country for any form of outdoor enjoyment - and training is pure joy. Warm regards, Lis
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 April 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights in Fred's room - the larger of the two rooms available at Cat's Pjamas. The bedroom is spacious with a large en suite bathroom and a small lounge adjoining. Both Fred's Room and the smaller Max's Room open from a shared foyer containing tea and coffee-making facilities and brochures relating to the surrounding area. The bedrooms overlook the attractive garden with many tall trees. The best views, out to the water and Rabbit Island, are from the dining room, or the deck beside it with outdoor table and chairs. Breakfast is served in either of these locations depending on the weather. And what breakfasts. Lis is quite a cook. I'd forgotten to let her know in advance of food allergies, but she graciously removed dishes I couldn't eat, and quickly prepared ones I could. Thank you Lis. The B&B is down a drive away from the road, so is very quiet at night. It is in a good location for tourists to visit Nelson, Mapua, Upper Moutere, Kaiteriteri and Motueka. Fred's Room was well-appointed with a supremely comfortable bed and fluffy duvet. Shampoo and body wash were supplied in the shower, but bring your own conditioner, shower cap and hair dryer. The rooms were scrupulously clean. I have no hesitation in recommending Cat's Pjamas for a restful and pleasant place to stay. And don't worry if you're not a cat person - we rarely saw Tia - and there was no evidence of fur etc in the house.

Room Tip: Fred's Room is the larger of the two, with a separate lounge, but Max's Room looks very comf...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
CatsPJ7081, Owner at Cat's Pjamas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review :-) And my apologies for not asking about specific food preferences beforehand! Just one correction - there is in fact a hair dryer in the bathroom - it's in the vanity cupboard. You just weren't inquisitive enough! Delighted you enjoyed your stay - I very much enjoyed our conversations. Kind regards, Lis
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Lis takes a lot of time to help orient the traveler to the surrounding area. This was not simply limited to the time of my stay; she was also very receptive to answering questions prior to my arrival and provided several really good suggestions of things to see and do not only in the area of her B&B, but also other places throughout the West Coast. The house is beautiful and the room I stayed in was first class. The outside yard was also amazing. At first I was a little nervous based on the google map location of Cat's Pjamas but in retrospect it was in a perfect location for the activities that I pursued in the area. It was a short drive to some beautiful beaches, hiking and a nice, small town with good resturants. Abel Tasman Park was easy to get to for an early morning hiking/kayaking trip. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
CatsPJ7081, Owner at Cat's Pjamas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Hi Rodney - I'm delighted you enjoyed the South Island so much - and particularly our region of course which has endless opportunities for outdoor fun. It was a pleasure hosting you! Kind regards, Lis
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Wonderful place to stay. Serene setting, great room, scrumptious breakfast and treats, lovely and gracious host. Pretty location outside of town. Consider yourself lucky if you can get a booking here.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
CatsPJ7081, Owner at Cat's Pjamas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us and for your kind words. I enjoyed your stay and am pleased you were able to make it to NZ despite the challenges :-)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Can't say enough how good my 4 night stay with Lis & Chris was. Have been recommending it to anyone who will listen. Definitely would stay with them again. Breakfasts on the deck with the view across to Rabbit Island were a favourite start to the day.
Room was large with plenty of storage, powerpoints for charging all those electronic devices we seem to have and space for relaxing. Lovely clean ensuite. A nice touch was the local produced (Jeymar) bath products especially the spearmint hand&body wash.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Where do I start with this wonderful magical place. Everthing was perfect. We stayed for four nights and were so happy we stayed here. The property was so relaxing the room was spotless and large. Breakfast was different every day and was the best breakfast I have had on the deck overlooking a gorgeous view. Each night we also had bedtime chocolates. There was a room where we had free access to coffee and a variety of great teas, soft drinks and snacks Also access to the guest lounge.
Lis was wonderful telling of us all the places to eat nearby and attractions and helped us book trips
thank you for the memories all my friends have seen the photos and were very jealous

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
CatsPJ7081, Owner at Cat's Pjamas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
THanks for taking the time to write a review Jill. I thoroughly enjoyed you and Ronnie. Nice when people stay long enough that we get to know you a little bit. Delighted you had such a great time :-) Kind regards, Lis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bronte
Appleby House & Rabbit Island Huts
Atholwood Luxury Country Accommodation
Pine Hill Lodge
Pine Hill Lodge
#1 of 2 in Ruby Bay
Bronte Country Estate

Been to Cat's Pjamas Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!