“Dutchies go costeno beach”

and 1 more site!
Costeno Beach Surf Camp
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We came here for 3 nights but ended up staying for 6 :).
Great and simple accomodation (all a backpacker needs), clean showers and toilets, good lockers. See or hear the ocean (sounds) from your bed. Beautiful warm staff and people, amazing vibe (peaceful) and perfect mix between chill time, surfing and a little party.

We loved Costeno beach and keep the memories in our hart.
Naptime in the hammock, bananapancakes for breakfast, stargazing with a bottle of rum, great food 3 times a day, walking barfoot all day, trying to surf, hugs with the dogs, making big day plans but doing nothing in the end, spicy peppers on delicous pizza, moonnight swims, and of course topless yoga ;)

Would go back anytime!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Costeno Beach Surf Camp

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My brother and I spent a wonderful 4 days at Costeno Beach Surf Camp. I was a bit nervous leading up to the stay due to the varied responses on Tripadvisor, but we had a wonderful time.

If you are looking for a hotel or beach resort, this might not be the spot for you. But, if you have stayed in hostels before and are looking for a fun, relaxed place in an amazing location to chill at the beach, I highly recommend Costeno Beach. The staff were friendly and relaxed. I had booked the wrong days but they were understanding and got my brother and I situated quite well in a double room. The commodities are basic but more than suited our needs. The beds were comfortable and you could hear the ocean from the room, it also got a great breeze at night making sleeping conditions ideal. The dorms and private rooms are a bit back from the kitchen/common area so even if people were staying up late those earlier to bed (myself) had not trouble with noise.

As I said, this isn't a fancy resort (you certainly aren't paying the price of one) as such, the beer is cold but there is only one national brand and no "light" option, the food is great with good portions but again, limited options (though there is always a vegetarian option). If you're picky, you may want to bring some snacks. The prices are completely fair and after a few days of just putting beer and food on our tab we were pleasantly surprised at what we owed at check out.

We took a half day surf lesson and had a great time.

The location was a bit out of the way but well worth the effort in getting there (and you can take a shuttle directly from the hostel back to Santa Marta or Cartagena). You feel like you are on your own private beach. Everyone else staying at the hostel was friendly...if you felt like a game of volleyball you could always find other willing players but if all you wanted to do was lay in a hammock and read a book no one bothered you.

All in all I highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The beach is ok but its not the safest place to swim. The sea was very rough.

We stayed in a hammock which was tucked away near the rear of the property so it received no ocean breeze making it hot at night.

The small outside kitchen was okay for cooking up something simple if you didn't want to participate in communal meals.

The food served at meal times by the lodge was ok but the portion sizes were small.

It was an interesting place to spend a night and a day lazing in a hammock.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whitlamabroad
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I read a similar review and would have to agree about the poor service. The staff is unwelcoming and appears to have better things to do than help the guests. The price for my surfing lesson was not worth it at all. We had maybe a twenty minute lesson on sand of which I could barely comprehend due to the loud crashing waves. Not to mention the long tedious thirty minute walk with giant surf boards to get to the actual spot. Then after the lesson we jumped right into surfing...if you can call it that. These waves are not for beginners. You will be sucked under..and good luck. I felt that if I had drowned I probably wouldn't have been rescued. The instructor is an awesomd person but the lesson and overall structure sucks miserably.
Tips to make this place better: give the staff a pep talk...make the surf lessons more structured.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 2 July 2014

For those of you looking for a slice of paradise on the Caribbean coast a visit to Costeno beach is a must. We were meant to come here for a day but ended up staying for 5 which says it all... The facilities are amazing considering the secluded location on the beach - powerful showers, tasty communal meals and really cool staff (Colm, Dion etc!) In my 5 weeks on the coast I found it was the first place I fully relax without being constantly hounded...GO AND STAY!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachel I
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived, the infectious enthusiasm of the staff for living the 'beach dream' was radiant. Colm, Santi, Geoff, Dion, Greta, Julia, Lo and Ryan were all incredibly helpful, friendly and the fact that I remember their names is testament to how wonderful they were. The food was great and there was always seconds for the greedy ones. I caught some sweet waves at the nearby river mouth and another beach called Narajos but I did bring my own stick although you can rent them. We were meant to stay 2 nights which soon became 2 weeks! Bring bug spray X

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Guy R
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I was lucky enough to have a Colombian friend with a car so we road tripped there from Cartagena - I therefore dont know how hard it is to get there without a car. We were going to stay for a night, but we ended up staying for two (or three?) - I could have stayed longer. People were friendly enough and I had a good time there hanging out with the staff and other backpackers. I didnt have a board with me on this trip but was able to choose one close to my preference from their rack of boards - woke up for a dawnie while everyone was sleeping and had a pretty fun little surf, despite the waves being super small. If there was more swell we would have been able to get a trip out to some more solid surf, but alas we were not lucky enough for that. After surf breakfast was amazing - try the banana pancakes! I had like four breakfasts the one morning. I see that some reviewers said the staff were not great - they were friendly enough and helpful to us. The place is pretty damn cool - and if there was more surf and more time I could totally just hang there. Also - if you have a car, there are some cool forest hikes and waterfalls nearby.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends