“Flying Fox for over 60s!”

Mokai Gravity Canyon
Reviewed 7 June 2014

If you love speed and adventure, this is for you! It felt completely safe and comfortable, yet the exhilaration was fantastic! You zoom head first from the top of the hill down into the canyon, under the bridge people are Bungy jumping from, and along above the river to some cliffs. 160 kph at its peak! Just one word of caution: don't do it if you have back problems. I don't, but next day my lower back was twinging because the harness does lift you up to slightly more than horizontal and I think my body probably tensed throughout the whole 8 minutes of the flight, thus pinching a nerve or something. Nothing serious, and it only lasted a day or two, so it was totally worth it for me. Definitely the highlight of my holiday.

1  Thank SarahDNewZealand

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Here in the Mokai Canyon there are 3 separate rides for thrill seekers. I only tackled one of these which left me as high as a kite for several days after. This is the Flying Fox, a zip wire ride which reaches 100mph !!! The first time I did this ride , while being strapped in , my thoughts ran along the lines of " what on earth am I letting myself in for ", however the buzz I got from this ride was unbelievable. 3 years later on my next trip to N.Z. I repeated this ride as was so cool about it having done it before. Both rides I went down on my own ( it will take up to 3 at a time ) and so was able to do my superman impression with arms outstretched. this is an absolute must if you are in this area. It appears much more frightening than it actually is so go for it!!! Bunjee jumping and canyon swing are the other thrill rides but I am too old for these being in my 70`s.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was treated to the flying fox as a surprise and didn't really know what to expect but i loved it!! zip lining at 150km p/h above a huge canyon was amazing!! The staff were all really great and added to the experience by telling us terrifying stuff right before letting us go! ;) Areally cool half day experience in an awesome location. photos and go pro footage was available to buy at a really good price. There's also a cafe that sells cold drinks & hot food at decent prices which was much appreciated after our little adventure.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

The Swing was the most amazing experience Ive ever tried, another one added to my bucket list. The staff were great and helpful. Thanks Gravity Canyon ....

Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

This was the longest and fastest flying fox I have ever experienced. And certainly, the only one I've ever done in a 'superman' flying position, launching straight over a majestic canyon with a rushing river at the bottom. The G forces for the flying fox aren't high, so a senior person can do it. Only thing is that it is about a 500m+ uphill trek to the launch point from the reception, which requires a fair level of fitness.

The location is about 15 km off the main highway SH1 (not just 15 minutes as indicated by the official signs cos that depends on the speed you are able to safely achieve on the small winding road).

Having done zip lines in the USA, multiple white knuckle roller coaster rides at Six Flags, and swing bungee simulators, I thought this was still worth the visit.

You can choose to do regular bungee and giant swing in addition to the flying fox. It also has a nice cafe and viewing point for supporters to watch from :)