“Stunning views”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Over Haddon
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Stunning views”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed because we attended a wedding( yes another one !) at Chatsworth House and this was relatively close. I had visited this place as a pub many years ago when we used to live on the edge of the Peak District. This is a limited review because we arrived by taxi at around 11:30 pm and went straight to bed. The room was clean but a little cramped and dated. The following morning I opened the curtains -WOW - spectacular views for miles and just the gentle bleating of some sheep on the moorland opposite breaking the silence. We had a good hearty breakfast and then returned to Chatsworth to collect our car.
This is an excellent place to base yourself if you wish to explore the Peak District and they have provision for dirty boots, rucksacks etc.

Room Tip: Ask for the room above the front door - the views are priceless!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Chesterfield
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have visited this pub for years. I have often thought it relies too much on location and is very tired and in need of refurbishment. I haven't been as often over recent years as dogs are allowed in the bar but not children. Glad they have priorities sorted.

That said it always had good beer until recently. On my last visit the first pint I had was certainly close to use by date. The second I had smelled of vinegar as it was pulled. I told the barman I thought it was of and he said he didn't drink beer but would ask someone. I took my other drinks outside and when I returned I expected to be offered another pint. I was informed there was nothing wrong with the beer it has a particular hop which makes it taste funny. Which is odd as I never complained about the taste. I was told that if I really wanted it they would exchange the beer; but it was very much done in a manner which really implied that I should just go away and drink what I had been given. Very poor show. I don't know if the gentlemen who used to run the bar has passed over the reigns but they will loose a lot of custom if the don't keep there beers well and respond appropriately to customers. I left most of the beer behind me wishing I had insisted on a change as it was definitely off!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank JohnnydChesterfield
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This is actually the second time we have stayed here. Every year we attend the Bird Carving festival in Bakewell, and having found this, there is nowhere else in the area that comes close.
We did stay in the back room last time, but I must say that it is very small, so this time stayed in the front, room number 1. This is a good size with a stunning view of the Dale. You do have to remember this is an old country pub, so the rooms will be a little smaller than big hotels, but they are well decorated and very clean.
Last time we were blown away by the quality of the food in the restaurant, but this time night 1 was exceptional but night 2 was a bit of a disaster, with the pork slightly over done making it tough, and the sauce very watery. However I would not let that stop me, it was 1 meal out of about 8 or 9.
The breakfast is stunning, and what a view from the restaurant windows.
The bar is welcoming and the beer is excellent, so overall a really lovely place to stay.
I would completely recommend it.

Room Tip: Use room 1 it's a little bigger than the others
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Colin C
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights here recently and really enjoyed it,so much so I cannot think of one fault. The staff and locals are all friendly and welcoming, the food was excellent(espeially the breakfast) so was the beer! and the views from most parts of the hotel are fantastic.
A great place to stay and we hope to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the best views.
Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Home Counties
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed at Lathkill Hotel for a walking week-end with my wife, daughter and friend. The hotel made us very welcome and the two rooms we had booked at the front of the hotel were very clean and tidy.
Fabulous location overlooking Lathkil Dale and the two rooms we had booked at the front of the hotel (rooms 1 and 2) looked out over the dale. Nice large fridge in the room and great beer selection in the bar.
Thanks again Lathkil for an almost perfect stay. Would have been perfect if you supply fresh milk in the fridge for tea rather than milk sachets. My wife loves her tea with fresh milk in the morning. Breakfast was fantastic by the way but would be better to order it in the morning rather than last thing at night, hard to know what you will feel like in the morning when ordering at night. We shall be back!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 or 2 for fabulous views of the Dale and surrounding area.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bannism4
East Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Have lunched here many times over the last 15 years with friends . First time we have stayed and we were not disappointed . A very pleasant break . Real ale ,good food -could anyone want more . Would thoroughly recommend this establishment .

Room Tip: Front bedrooms have a view of the dale . Book a table by the window .
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Herts., England
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Lovely location - perfect for walking and just five minutes drive from Bakewell.
The room was small but nicely appointed and comfortable with a good view.
Dinner and breakfast were good and the staff were pleasant and helpful.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for a break in the Peak District.

Room Tip: Room 1 has a nice view over Lathkil Dale.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Hartington
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to The Lathkil Hotel? Share your experiences!