“Fantastic location”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Over Haddon
London
“Fantastic location”
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We spent 1 night at the lathkil hotel as part of a visit to the Peak District. The hotel is small but cosy and friendly staff with open fires and lots of locals and dogs downstairs. We ate dinner in the dining room and the food was great! Our room was clean and nicely furnished but very small and unfortunately didn't benefit from the view which we had hoped for - instead we looked over a car park. Bathroom lacked ventilation even when window was wide open and consequently steam filled the bedroom. But on the whole this was a lovely little hotel and set in incredible surroundings.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Holzfrog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Houghton-le-Spring
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed just for one night with two friends and were lucky enough to have the two front rooms with the great views. Dinner and breakfast were delicious, hot and all freshly cooked. Although the rooms are on the small side they are clean and comfortable and we would not hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

We arrived in the dark on a Saturday night, followed the hotels directions which were perfect. Room was lovely with a fabulous queen size bed, much better than the usual standard double you normally find in bog standard hotels.
Food was served in the dining room in front of the log burner and was great for the price, especially as it is all sourced locally.
The night we arrived the village was holding the annual bonfire so the bar was very busy but this was lovely to see in a local pub.
Even though the bar had been very busy during the evening the hotel and bar are closed and locked up at 11, resulting in an extremely quiet and restful sleep.
The next morning after a hearty cooked breakfast Helen's directions took us on a beautiful scenic walk into the town of Bakewell where we spent the day perusing the local shops.
We will definitely be visiting again soon.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Couldn't believe our luck in getting three rooms on a Saturday night - had a great meal, cosy room and lovely breakfast - all paled into insignificance when we woke to the most amazing views over Lathkilldale. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2013
Bridport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is a small country pub, most certainly not a hotel.The owners and staff are friendly and welcoming ,the views are stunning .
The food is fine :cooked breakfasts are excellent, hot and freshly cooked .The supper menu is extensive and while we were assured everything was prepared on site, there is obviously a good degree of batch cooking and extensive pre prep. to support this menu.Our pud of black currant pie for example rang alarms when we heard the microwave ping. The pastry was limp --- always a tell tail sign of ''out of the freezer and into the microwave''. For us we would have been more pleased with food freshly prepared and freshly cooked with less choice -- more suited to a pub of this type and size.
Do pay the extra for a front facing room but they are very small : very,very small. With the exception of the duvet which desperately needs upgrading to a decent quality the owners have done their best to shoe horn in the usual and expected facilties .But be warned, you cant swing a cat ;the ensuite is minute :the made to measure bath is not much bigger than a shower tray.The online photos of the bedrooms give a misleadingly generous perspective.

Room Tip: Choose a front room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank christopher b
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed because we attended a wedding( yes another one !) at Chatsworth House and this was relatively close. I had visited this place as a pub many years ago when we used to live on the edge of the Peak District. This is a limited review because we arrived by taxi at around 11:30 pm and went straight to bed. The room was clean but a little cramped and dated. The following morning I opened the curtains -WOW - spectacular views for miles and just the gentle bleating of some sheep on the moorland opposite breaking the silence. We had a good hearty breakfast and then returned to Chatsworth to collect our car.
This is an excellent place to base yourself if you wish to explore the Peak District and they have provision for dirty boots, rucksacks etc.

Room Tip: Ask for the room above the front door - the views are priceless!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Chesterfield
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have visited this pub for years. I have often thought it relies too much on location and is very tired and in need of refurbishment. I haven't been as often over recent years as dogs are allowed in the bar but not children. Glad they have priorities sorted.

That said it always had good beer until recently. On my last visit the first pint I had was certainly close to use by date. The second I had smelled of vinegar as it was pulled. I told the barman I thought it was of and he said he didn't drink beer but would ask someone. I took my other drinks outside and when I returned I expected to be offered another pint. I was informed there was nothing wrong with the beer it has a particular hop which makes it taste funny. Which is odd as I never complained about the taste. I was told that if I really wanted it they would exchange the beer; but it was very much done in a manner which really implied that I should just go away and drink what I had been given. Very poor show. I don't know if the gentlemen who used to run the bar has passed over the reigns but they will loose a lot of custom if the don't keep there beers well and respond appropriately to customers. I left most of the beer behind me wishing I had insisted on a change as it was definitely off!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Hartington
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to The Lathkil Hotel? Share your experiences!