“Unwelcoming and rude ”
Review of The Lathkil Hotel

The Lathkil Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Over Haddon
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My partner our dog and I recently had the misfortune to include a visit to this venue on a days walking trip, before entering the premises we were made unwelcome by the signs saying 'NO BOOTS' in an area where a large % of your potential customers are walkers how arrogant, it gets worse upon entering.
I sat on the edge of an outdoor area and my partner went inside to get us and dog drinks plus a lunch menu she returned very red faced telling me how she had been told off by an elderly woman for going to pick a water bowl up for the dog saying it is for dogs inside only she had also been told to pick the bowl up by the lad behind the bar, no lunch menus to be had just a confusing chalk board behind a very dated calvary area. Being on foot and the only place to eat for miles we decided to have some lunch my partner order and collected baguettes and chips my partner wanted some salt and vinegar none available at the service area so she used some from one of the tables in the empty restaurant to be told off again by this nasty elderly woman 'the condiments on the tables are for restaurant users only not for those eating outside'.
My partner return with our lunch again red faced with their being no condiments outside this means that even though you pay the same and have the same menu you're not allowed salt on your dinner in the garden and if you dare to touch the salt inside you will be told off like a naughty child, I would add lucky for the rude woman my partner is not a confrontational person as I'm sure many other people would not just turned the other cheek.
This venue is living on the back a great view and does not care in anyway about the customers who visit. Beware

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank kcandb
There are newer reviews for The Lathkil Hotel

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is an excellent base to explore Derbyshire. The restaurant has a commanding view over Lathkil Dale and the surrounding countryside. The rooms are on the small side but are very well appointed. The beds are very comfortable. The food is reasonably priced and well cooked, especially breakfast. The stair carpet looks worn and gives an unwarranted poor first impression.

Room Tip: Two rooms at the front have views over Lathkil Dale
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank scothernite
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We spent one night in this delightful little hotel. It only has 4 rooms all on suite. Lovely towels and linen. Although it is classed as a hotel it is more like a good class pub with rooms. That does not detract from its excellence. Delightful owner and staff. Nothing is too much trouble. They gave us a very nice cooked breakfast and set our table overlooking the wonderful view over the Dales.Loads of sheep.
The hotel is 2+ miles from Bakewell (where you can't park easily anyway) but that is no problem.
The restaurant turns out a lovely food. Guests were also very nice and friendly.
A walkers hotel. Entry says "please leave your boots outside".
Plenty of lovely dogs who are made welcome.
A bit like "All Creatures Great and Small". A local offered us his car parking space and commented "I don't like Londoners" but we charmed him.
Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the larger bed. Gives a larger room but you need to book early.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gormet
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We spent a one night break here last month and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are pretty local anyway but fancied a night away in a location where we could enjoy a nice meal, a drink or two and have a wonderful walk too! This hotel really is a fantastic "get away" and the evening meal we had was very impressive at a fair price. Fine wines and real ales are served in the bar and we enjoyed a beautiful one hour circular walk over the field behind the hotel, across the river and back up the steep road to the village - all at 7am in the morning before a delicious breakfast! My vegetarian option was soon demolished! The staff were friendly and accommodating. The room we had was round the back which overlooks the car park and I imagine the rooms overlooking the dale are the ones to go for if you can get them, but the bed was comfortable and we had everything we needed. The charming town of Bakewell is only a couple of miles away and I highly recommend this hotel for a relaxing break. Will definitely be back!

2  Thank MazBowie1
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Probably the best pub I have visited regarding fantastic views. I visited with my family for an evening meal. The restaurant area is basic and more like a canteen, no atmosphere and not that attractive. The food was average, I opted for stuffed chicken breast with a sauce. The chicken was overcooked and slightly dry, although not as disappointing as the sauce that tasted like warm cream. The staff were friendly and pleasant to talk to, overall I don't think I will be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Yay B
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Came across this on a long walk around the Derbyshire one Sunday in May.
Superb, if somewhat off track, location.
But very curious in parts !
Big sign, NO BOOTS, so they don't want walkers pounds then ?
( many walked past on a hot summers day )
Sign said put boots in corridor by beer garden, so I took my boots off and walked, boots in hand through the restaurant to the said corridor !
The restaurant was served buffet style, the menus on the tables only had coffees and teas, still don't know what they served or what they charged !
Went into the Bar, very friendly service, they said the only food was the buffet next door,
The menus on the bar tables only showed coffees and teas, although they all had a cruet set !
Only 2 tables used in restaurant on a vey busy, elsewhere, weekend.
Can't help but think its the only Bar in the peak district without a bar menu, they must be losing thousands of food business.
Its called a Hotel, but its a pub with 4 rooms and a pretention to be called an hotel.
went down the road for a Sunday roast for £8.95 at a more "tuned in" pub.

I hope they see the light and get organised soon, its location is too good to lose to another failed pub/hotel.

4  Thank Graham H
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spent three nights at the hotel over the May bank holiday weekend. We were delighted by the delicious food and excellent service. The views from the dining room are amazing and there are brilliant walks in every direction. The room was quite small but had everything we needed and we would be very happy to visit again.

2  Thank Jlander20
#5 of 6 in Bakewell
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to The Lathkil Hotel? Share your experiences!