All reviews the owner maple ki shiatsu massage private lake spa treatments mother apple mary canoeing magazine julianna forest yoga summer amenities vegetarian vitality
Reviewed 13 October 2015

My best friend and I decided to do a retreat weekend and after extensive research, we chose Maple Ki. Even before heading up to Tamworth, the owner, Julianna was so kind and helpful when it came to booking.

From the moment you enter the 1km secluded laneway into Maple Ki, you already feel at home and one with nature (we saw 3 deer just on the side of the driveway). We chose to go over Thanksgiving weekend because of the trees changing colours and it was a sight to see!

Upon entering Julianna's house, herself and her mom (who is the most special lady!) greeted us with big hugs and welcomed us into their home. The house is extremely comforting and clean. Just by entering the living room area, I already felt a connection to my inner spirit as no matter where you turn, there is books on health and healing, beautiful crystals and positive affirmations.

There were 6 other people joining us and because we were all going there for a common purpose, we had so much in common despite our age differences.

Our room was very clean and had bathrobes waiting for us.

The food was BEYOND amazing! Julianna is an incredible cook and makes all the meals herself. When I booked, I asked if snacks were included and Julianna told me that from her experience, snacks weren't needed as the meals were filling enough. I was hesitant as I'm used to having mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. After the first breakfast, I knew exactly what Julianna was talking about. We had oats and quinoa porridge with ground flax, coconut flakes, almond butter, toasted nuts/seeds and fruit on the side. It was soo delicious and filling! Julianna definitely knows how to make a delicious vegetarian balanced meal and I did not need any snacks in between! She even made a Thanksgiving themed dinner which included a lentil burger inside a portobello mushroom cap smothered in mushroom gravy and cranberry sauce with tons of veggies on the side!

During meals, all the guests sit together at the table and it was a great way to get to know each other and there was LOTS of laughter!

There is no shortage of activities at Maple Ki. The one thing I really loved is that there is no itinerary. Julianna leads a morning yoga practice from 8am-9:30am and the rest of the day was ours as we pleased. Julianna mapped out some amazing hiking trails around her property. We took the Sunset Trail and found a beautiful rock face to sit on a paint. We also canoed across the lake to this beautiful hike through the forest and up to the highest point in the area to see a statue. I think one of my favorite parts was seeing the stars at night. Coming from Toronto, there are barely any stars in the sky at night. My friend and I went onto the dock each night and lied down, taking in the beautiful sky. We also heard wolves howling in the background, it was soo magical!

We also both got aromatherapy massages also done by Julianna (is there anything she can't do!?). It was so relaxing and she really knows how to give a great massage!

I can't say enough amazing things about Maple Ki. My best friend and I already asked Julianna if we can book for next Thanksgiving Weekend.

I highly recommend everyone to go to Maple Ki and experience the most relaxing, rejuvenating, and fun weekend!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank ShaunaMarissa
Reviewed 30 August 2015 via mobile

Picturesque retreat filled with peace and welcoming energy. The views are stunning. Julianna and her mother Mary were gracious and hospitable. The facilities were clean and comfortable. I'm not vegetarian but the food was delicious, healthy and filling. My time spent there was very memorable. If you like hiking, canoeing, kayaking, there is a lot to do there, but I chose to rest and unwind from the craziness of city life. It was wonderful. Thank you Julianna and Mary - your kind energy and sweetness is much appreciated.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank evielacerda
Reviewed 19 August 2015

Spent 3 nights at Maple Ki recently. Julianna and her mom Mary were beautiful hosts. Vegan meals were delicious. The location is perfectly tranquil with options for hiking, kayaking, yoga, swimming or restful quiet time in a hammock. A perfect escape on your own or with friends. I can't wait to return.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank doraeme2015
Reviewed 18 August 2015 via mobile

Every aspect of my experience at the resort was soup for the soul. The perfect mix of opportunities for active (trails, kayaking, canoeing, the most comfortable sofas accompanied by the most delightfully stimulating reads, and of course, guided yoga and meditation sessions with Julianna) and passive (Zen atmosphere, infra red Sauna, beautiful calming wildlife, a lake that would take your breath away, evenings filled with fireflies and the best view of the stars I've ever seen) for nourishment of Mind, Body, and Spirit.

The food, the yoga, the Maple Ki forest is out of this world.

I'm looking forward to my next visit.

Lazy river. Hiking trails. Non smoking. Free parking. Pristine retreat. The best Shiatsu massage ever. Free kayaking and canoeing. Complimentary lush bath robes for use with complimentary hot tub. Incredibly creative and delicious vegan and vegetarian options. A gluten-free kitchen! Clear view of the milky way on clear nights. Library of ancient wisdom and contemporary authors from around the globe. Beauty and inspiration around every corner!

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed 28 November 2013

What a great weekened getaway for those of us who live in the city. Julianna is all that you would expect from a teacher who practices meditation ...yoga. The classes are perfect way to start your day. The food that she makes with her mom are just the best I have ever tasted for Vegetarian cooking. The surrounding with beautiful trees and lake is breath taking. Highly recommend the hilkes - the entire properly can be hiked and it's private.
Happy to have made the decision to go to a retreat like this. Julianna has lots of books which I highly recommend you ask her if there's a topic that interest you for a good read. The rooms are quite nice. The main area is very spacious as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple