“Amazing 3-day trip, with incredibly passionate guide!”

Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer special tours in the Amazon Region with focus on Wildlife observation, Environmental issues and History. We also provide support to film makers and writers.
Reviewed 14 December 2017

Just got back from a amazing, unforgettable trip with Gil and Celso Serique.
Gil is an international famous guide, who brings you to unbelievable places. We booked the 3 day tour.
Gil was waiting for us at Santarem airport to take us to his house facing a wonderful island beach. Carparinha time!

Next morning we left his place for a boat trip to Maica river ( we had time to visit the fish market, see the meeting of the waters and cruise along the city. Pink dolphins, the prehistorical hoatzin and a lot of other beautiful birds which he all knows by name and their typical behavior. We also used his little wildlife book to identify most of them. Sloths are to be seen there most of the time, but now they were too lazy to show themselves, I guess. Later that day to Tapajos National Forest, Primary rainforest! After a short hike we reached the spot to set up our camp.
Hammocks were attached to the wood giants and I started the campfire for Celso to prepare dinner. For us time to look at some howler monkeys passing by. Roasted chicken never tasted *this* good. Same for the carpirinha's.
Bedtime, or better, hammock time. Which is so much different than a bed. I hate and love them. Difficult to get your right sleeping position, but waking up in the morning, so comfy that you don't want to get out. But then, what is wrong about lying awake for a while, listening to the sounds of the jungle and gazing at the stars and the moonlight through the gaps your canopy ceiling? In case you might be worried about animals approaching the camp, there is no need to: they keep the fire going through the night.

After waking with a stiff cup of cowboy coffee we were ready for a hike.
Only Gil knows about this special spot where to see the king vultures. Beautiful birds and the whooping sound of their wings when they take off is spectacular.
During the tracking Gil just cannot stop telling interesting stories about the history of the area which once belonged to his family and is strongly related to the coming of the rubber plantations. No, he can stop talking about that, but only to point out another interesting animal, tree, plant or insect.
The track we walk in the afternoon gets us to a viewing point from where you can look down upon the canopy of the 50 meters high trees. The diversity is amazing. Some with bright colorful flowers, something you will never see from the floor.

Next day we walk to a little creek. Having lunch and just hanging out, taking pictures of butterflies and other insects that present themselves to us.
On our way back to Alter de Chao we drove through Belterra, the second city founded by Henry Ford in the Amazon. When we arrived back to his place we were welcomed by a small band of Silvery marmosets feeding on cashew tree sap.
It wasn't cheap, but we found it to be worth every penny, twice over.

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017

Thank you so much for the great time. It was real. I shall never forget the juvenile Harpy Eagle that you protographed and the reason one can not share the picture here.
When we were looking for your memory card, I saw a Dart-poison frog crossing the huge falling trunk that Marcio tried to find on the other side without success. How can they hide so well!
Afterwards when we were checking the pictures was a great fun too. I am glad you like the music we played. It was to see you sharing drone sickness with my friend Lilian.
What an amazing and intense time we had together. Oops, almost forgot to thank you for setting the toilet flush with my lovely Flora and the camera track.

I can't wait to duplicate our time with more travellers who love, respect and feel the need to be in Nature.

Cheers from cloudy and bucolic Alter do chao

Gil and Celso Serique (swinging in a hammoch after gardening a bit with my sister)

All reviews
"brazil nut"
"family history"
"fishing for piranhas"

Reviewed 3 December 2017

We were going with a smallish group on one of Gil's tours. When we turned up, Unknown before hand, the numbers had trebled, one guy did not even have a seat. if you want just to sit and drink beer this is for you, we had hoped for so much more...much promised but little delivered.

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Thank you for your time. If the guy who had no chair thinks the same as you I would take it as true, I am not calling a lier though.
The group was 26 on a boat for 45 passengers.

November the river was still too low but me and team did our best. The river really got higher and we shall be able to explore some more creeks.

By the way I dont remember promising anything we did not delivered. I wonder what it would be.

Gil Serique

Reviewed 27 November 2017

My time with Gil was exciting from the moment he came to pick my friends and I up in our hotel in Santarem. The man is full of life!!! Not only will he keep you engaged with his extensive knowledge of the region but he will as do so with his lively nature. This was one of the best if not the best tours I have ever been on and I have traveled quite extensively. From the boat, to the jungle, and sleeping at his beautifully located residence on the river, there was never a dull moment. Gil is so passionate about his tours and it shows. I learned a lot during the time I spent with Gil and never felt like I was just being bombarded with facts. I spent nearly 9 months traveling in Brazil and this was definitely one of the parts I reminisce most about. Greatest decision to explore the Amazon with Gil. If trying to decide which tour to take in the Amazon, you will not go wrong with choosing Gil as your guide. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Thank you so much for your words Brendon!! I just arrived from a similar tour. Ths time with amazing views and PHOTOS of King Vultures and a Juvenal Harpy Eagle. Lots of insect life as well! I am so happy man. Thank youuu So good to get home and red this. Cheeers!!!!!

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

My dad and I booked "my favourite Amazon tour". In all my travels I never met a more passionate and knowledgeable guide about nature like Gil. I think when you are visiting the Amazon it is a must to book a couple of days with Gil to get the real Amazon experience. We had the best time ever staying in a couple of beautiful places. Like Gils fantastic house overlooking the beautiful river and the two nights in the pristine rainforest which was just incredible. The last part we stayed on a fantastic boat in the floodplain- just beautiful. Gil and Celso thanks a lot for this fantastic memory- we couldn't have asked for a better guide and experience. I'm definitely coming back to this beautiful place.

Randy & Edie

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Helloooo

thank you so much. No doubt our days were magic. You both made them.....the atmosphere at the bar in the Rainforest and on the boat.

I really appreciate your time for your words and i will make sure whoever come will have a great time as well.

The best from us all!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 June 2017

A group of us booked a tour with Gil months in advance and received confirmation. He told us four was his minimum. We had five. The day of the tour on of our group was not able to go. We then received an email an hour before we were to meet Gil on the dock saying he was cancelling "because he could not make a profit on our tour". We called him and got nothing but excuses and talked only about himself. This man has a huge ego but no professional integrity.

1  Thank janiewall
GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Thank you TA! Good day everybody!!!
If you are the person who changed some 50 emails with me and had every single one responded this is my answer.....If you are not this is how I explain what had happened.

Come on that is not true. I well remember you had booked me for a 15 people group at Alter do chao and of course after it was arranged it never happened. And then I had to beg you to write me back...

You then decide to make your own plan for me to guide when I told you that I would not put my name below it... but I would guide...(at this point I was going to pay 50 dollars to run the tour from my pocket) when another couple decided to cancel...Having my whole team prepared I had to cancel my best boat...That is not how I operate!!

I stiil got my Russian trained guide to guide the tour YOU had planned....in the end some of you did not accepted the discount and paid it full price, which makes me think it was a successful tour.
The tour was good at the worst...so just say thank you Gil at least.
But let me take you correct for a second...But you only wrote four lines...when everybody else write dissertations about me and my work...you can not be right!

I DO believe that a visit to the Amazon is a dream coming true!!I do not play with people's dream, I am very happy to be part of it, that is maybe why I am better than everybody combined....it has nothing to do with ego! and it does have to do with professional integrity!!!

Thank you anyway, sorry anyway.