“The Amazing Amazon”

Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer special tours in the Amazon Region with focus on Wildlife observation, Environmental issues and History. We also provide support to film makers and writers.
Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

Our cruise took us to Santarém and we wanted to make the very best of our trip to the Amazon. I researched other reviews and e-mailed Gil.
He and his team are absolutely amazing and the enthusiasm, especially Gil’s, is beyond all bounds. Each sighting produces an effect as though this was Gil’s first time. We saw pink dolphins, many different birds and sloths in trees but the latter were high up and visible as a grey ball. All of a sudden, Gil dived into the Amazon, clearly unafraid of piranhas and headed to a tree with a three toed sloth on a lower branch. He carefully unwrapped the little fellow and brought it aboard. He showed us and then carefully returned the little fellow to his branch.
Anyone heading to Santarém would be so much better with Gil than any ship excursion.

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Hello there

thank you so much for your time to write this review. It was indeed a great tour. Thank you for your attention and enthusiasm. I wish you always a pleasant cruise.

GS

"brazil nut"
"family history"
"fishing for piranhas"

Reviewed 6 January 2018

We booked our tour over 12 months in advance originally thinking that we had a private tour booked. But over the months through various contacts we discovered that Gil also accepts other bookings at the same time on the same day. Oh well we thought as long as there aren't too many people it will be okay.
On the day of the Tour we had our group of 12 and had identified 10 others from our ship we thought yes 22 that's fine. When we all finally met up the group was actually 26.
BUT THAT IS OKAY STILL ... Gils boat can hold probably 40 people, There are 2 decks and all 26 of us were quite comfortable on the upper deck with no one on the lower deck, there is plenty of room. DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY NEGATIVE REVIEWS this man is incredible.
We were met at the dock gate by Gil himself, he directed us to a Bus for a short ride to where his boat was tied up. In the bus he explained what we were going to see with passion, once on the boat he did not disappoint. We cruised along the river to the point the two systems met and the difference in water color was amazing, then we headed off up a smaller river and saw PINK DOLPHINS at the mouth, along the way we saw water buffalo, Cows, horses etc and all the time we had a running commentary from Gil who was just as excited as we were when he spotted a new bird or animal. Eventually we disembarked into smaller boats for a closer look at the wildlife and saw many birds and a 3 toed Sloth. After cruising around in the small boats for some time we re boarded Gils main boat and returned to port and our ship.
We had an amazing day with a man who is very very passionate about his Amazon and its wildlife.

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

Thank you so much for your words Wayne. The pink Dolphins, sloths and Hoatzins are key species and we saw them all quite well. I really can not say NO to the ones who want me as a guide. I look forward to meet the group again on the 10th for Mainland Rainforest experience, a brief visit to Henry Ford's Belterra and some fun at home at Alter do chao. It should be amazing!!!

Enjoy your cruise mate

Gil Serique

Reviewed 14 December 2017

Just got back from a amazing, unforgettable trip with Gil and Celso Serique.
Gil is an international famous guide, who brings you to unbelievable places. We booked the 3 day tour.
Gil was waiting for us at Santarem airport to take us to his house facing a wonderful island beach. Carparinha time!

Next morning we left his place for a boat trip to Maica river ( we had time to visit the fish market, see the meeting of the waters and cruise along the city. Pink dolphins, the prehistorical hoatzin and a lot of other beautiful birds which he all knows by name and their typical behavior. We also used his little wildlife book to identify most of them. Sloths are to be seen there most of the time, but now they were too lazy to show themselves, I guess. Later that day to Tapajos National Forest, Primary rainforest! After a short hike we reached the spot to set up our camp.
Hammocks were attached to the wood giants and I started the campfire for Celso to prepare dinner. For us time to look at some howler monkeys passing by. Roasted chicken never tasted *this* good. Same for the carpirinha's.
Bedtime, or better, hammock time. Which is so much different than a bed. I hate and love them. Difficult to get your right sleeping position, but waking up in the morning, so comfy that you don't want to get out. But then, what is wrong about lying awake for a while, listening to the sounds of the jungle and gazing at the stars and the moonlight through the gaps your canopy ceiling? In case you might be worried about animals approaching the camp, there is no need to: they keep the fire going through the night.

After waking with a stiff cup of cowboy coffee we were ready for a hike.
Only Gil knows about this special spot where to see the king vultures. Beautiful birds and the whooping sound of their wings when they take off is spectacular.
During the tracking Gil just cannot stop telling interesting stories about the history of the area which once belonged to his family and is strongly related to the coming of the rubber plantations. No, he can stop talking about that, but only to point out another interesting animal, tree, plant or insect.
The track we walk in the afternoon gets us to a viewing point from where you can look down upon the canopy of the 50 meters high trees. The diversity is amazing. Some with bright colorful flowers, something you will never see from the floor.

Next day we walk to a little creek. Having lunch and just hanging out, taking pictures of butterflies and other insects that present themselves to us.
On our way back to Alter de Chao we drove through Belterra, the second city founded by Henry Ford in the Amazon. When we arrived back to his place we were welcomed by a small band of Silvery marmosets feeding on cashew tree sap.
It wasn't cheap, but we found it to be worth every penny, twice over.

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017

Thank you so much for the great time. It was real. I shall never forget the juvenile Harpy Eagle that you protographed and the reason one can not share the picture here.
When we were looking for your memory card, I saw a Dart-poison frog crossing the huge falling trunk that Marcio tried to find on the other side without success. How can they hide so well!
Afterwards when we were checking the pictures was a great fun too. I am glad you like the music we played. It was to see you sharing drone sickness with my friend Lilian.
What an amazing and intense time we had together. Oops, almost forgot to thank you for setting the toilet flush with my lovely Flora and the camera track.

I can't wait to duplicate our time with more travellers who love, respect and feel the need to be in Nature.

Cheers from cloudy and bucolic Alter do chao

Gil and Celso Serique (swinging in a hammoch after gardening a bit with my sister)

Reviewed 3 December 2017

We were going with a smallish group on one of Gil's tours. When we turned up, Unknown before hand, the numbers had trebled, one guy did not even have a seat. if you want just to sit and drink beer this is for you, we had hoped for so much more...much promised but little delivered.

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Thank you for your time. If the guy who had no chair thinks the same as you I would take it as true, I am not calling a lier though.
The group was 26 on a boat for 45 passengers.

November the river was still too low but me and team did our best. The river really got higher and we shall be able to explore some more creeks.

By the way I dont remember promising anything we did not delivered. I wonder what it would be.

Gil Serique

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 November 2017

My time with Gil was exciting from the moment he came to pick my friends and I up in our hotel in Santarem. The man is full of life!!! Not only will he keep you engaged with his extensive knowledge of the region but he will as do so with his lively nature. This was one of the best if not the best tours I have ever been on and I have traveled quite extensively. From the boat, to the jungle, and sleeping at his beautifully located residence on the river, there was never a dull moment. Gil is so passionate about his tours and it shows. I learned a lot during the time I spent with Gil and never felt like I was just being bombarded with facts. I spent nearly 9 months traveling in Brazil and this was definitely one of the parts I reminisce most about. Greatest decision to explore the Amazon with Gil. If trying to decide which tour to take in the Amazon, you will not go wrong with choosing Gil as your guide. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Thank you so much for your words Brendon!! I just arrived from a similar tour. Ths time with amazing views and PHOTOS of King Vultures and a Juvenal Harpy Eagle. Lots of insect life as well! I am so happy man. Thank youuu So good to get home and red this. Cheeers!!!!!