“The Best Tour You'll Ever Do”

Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer special tours in the Amazon Region with focus on Wildlife observation, Environmental issues and History. We also provide support to film makers and writers.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Gil is probably the most enthusiastic guy I've ever met. Not only did he give us a ton of information about the Amazon Rainforest and its history, he also showed us a wide-range of animals and wildlife. And he did so with an energy that is truly unmatchable. I will never forget my time with Gil (and Celso!) in the Amazon - and I know that you won't either.

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Mr. William Phelps, I have no words to describe the time I spent with your family. Far too much great time, laughs, wildlife, windsurf and school project. True unique my friend! Thank you so much indeed.

All reviews
"brazil nut"
"family history"
"fishing for piranhas"

Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

Gil has been endorsed by so many more knowledgeable, more famous and more interesting people than me that I was hesitating for a while before starting to write this post. That being said, I think the more people know about his hospitality and expertise, the better for this world.

First things first, Gil speaks fluent English (better than me, for sure), he was born and grew up in this very area of the middle Amazon, and not only knows its secrets, but also enjoys to help you to find those treasures. He took me, together with some truly entertaining companions, to a two-day trip. Probably the most condensed version possible in this region full of natural-cultural wonders.

On the first day we trekked and camped in the forest enjoying all its otherworldly sounds during the night and learned about the history of rubber plantations, the expansion of soy fields, and the sexual life of insects, among other things.

On the second day, we cruised out to a wonderful floodplain on the Maica river (lake?), spent the night on the boat in hammocks, ate piranha for dinner, had a very close encounter with a sloth, and saw all kinds of birds whose names I cannot remember (sorry Gil!), but the ones on the water buffalos’ backs were probably the most memorable.

In early morning, we visited a forest in a small boat. We literally had to cut through our way across bush and liana to get to this forest, which is half under water with small human-made canals and garden-like ponds where birds follow the “footsteps” of monkeys who chase insects on the trees. An experience somewhere between an Indiana Jones movie and a psychedelic journey.

The whole trip was just breathtaking, and if you happened to forget about it, Gil will always remind you of this by his emblematic “Aieeeee” scream of amazement. He also helped me a lot with medicinal plants (my hobby and research and work) from the market to a garden to the forest. If you’re out for a tailor-made, exciting and truly Amazonian adventure spiced up with historical and personal anecdotes and some (for others maybe “many”) Caipirinha, this tour is perfect for you.

Muito obrigado, Gil! You’re the best.

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

A night in the jungle, psychedelic river gardens and a never ending polite, entertaining and knowledble guest.
It was my privilege Gergeley
All the best and arigato! *to be continued!

Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

Many thanks to Gil and his crew. We did a unbelievable 4 days tour - 2 days rainforest with sleeping outdoors in hammocks, barbecue over log fire and many hikes. Gil can fill books with his knowledge and he is a great entertainer and a great outdoor cocktail mixer too. Afterwards we did a 2 day boat tour through the flood plains, watching the wildlife, eating and drinking better than in most restaurants.

It was amazing and very very relaxing these four days.

We got all this from him last minute because we contacted him and started the next day but he can do lot more for you if you contact him earlier. He can offer you a allround complete package with even transfers and you are also welcome at his place to stay like we did the 2 days after the trip

Many thanks to Gil
Hope to see you again friend

PS: Hey Gil - Aaaaaiiii!!! - the king vultures are beasts!

From the court to the jungle! Thank you so much for the amazing time!!
All the best and Viel Gluck

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Without a doubt the best tour I was on during my two week trip to the Amazon. While Gil’ mastery of the rainforest wildlife goes without question, what makes the tour so special is his the way he interweaves the presentation of the Amazon’s rich wildlife with an equally rich history of the region, his family and of course himself.

On day 1, we set off to explore the National Park along the Tapajós River. On the way, Gil told us the remarkable story of how his family first came to Brazil, as well as his own fascinating upbringing in Santarém. Once we got there, we explored the jungle that Gil knows inside-out from his childhood. Although this part of the tour want the most diverse in terms of wildlife (maybe a few monkeys, but not much more), the scenery of the vastness of the Amazon was truly breathtaking. To top it off, Gil has prepared a camping-style lunch for us in the forest. Just as we were about to eat, however, it started to rain and we were forced to retreat. Our plan to camp in the rainforest had to be cancelled but Gil was king enough to let us stay in hammocks back at his place in Alter do Chão.

On day 2, after a quick visit to the local fish-market to see the river-dolphins, Gil
hired a boat for us to go right into the rainforest/wetland area. This is where Ornithologist Gil’s vast knowledge really made all the difference. As we moved through the vast river network, Gil would direct out attention to all manner of wildlife, and we were able to thoroughly appreciate the richness of the Amazon ecosystem. As a further treat, Gil’s cousin had prepared a delightful fish-stew for us which we enjoyed on the boat al-fresco before we returned back in town.

Throughout the 2 days, our conversations were filled with wit, humour, history and a deep love for this endangered but still deeply fascinating region. The tour is quite intense, there is no doubt that you will be rewarded by a far greater intellectual awareness of the region than the common tour.

One final point for those coming to see the Amazon from abroad. Gil’s English is truly excellent, so English speakers should not worry about this point. Indeed, Gil is one of the best English speakers that I have met in Brazil. I consider my Portuguese not bad, but I am truly put to shame when compared with Gil’s English. A testament to his curiosity and commitment to learning.

GilSerique, Owner at Amazon River Cruise Gil Serique - Day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

How nice of you Ronan. Thank you so much for your words. Enjoy your time in Brazil mate..

All the best and thanks indeed

Gil Serique