“Quirky and eccentric Norwegian charm at its best”

Fjordslottet Hotell
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fotlandsvag
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Quirky and eccentric Norwegian charm at its best”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We spent the night of Monday 26th May 2014 at Fjordslottet Hotell. On that day we travelled across from Horten in the east of Norway to Fotlandsvag in the West. It took a bit longer than we anticipated so we only arrived about 2220.

I had read other people's reviews that said the place was hard to find even with a sat nav so before I went I used Google Street View to find markers to look out for but to be honest it wasn't that difficult to find. One word of caution though, the 567 road that leads to the hotel is only wide enough for one vehicle in parts and we had to reverse to let a car pass us at one point so allow plenty of time to drive safely there. Also, access to Osteroy is via a toll bridge so factor that cost in if you're using the hotel to access Bergen.

There is a small free unsurfaced car park at the bottom of the hill the hotel is on. This hotel probably isn't a good choice if you have mobility issues due to the hill.

Reception is around the side and when we entered there was nobody inside but a card saying to ring a number if nobody was there. I had to ring a few times, I was a bit worried but the third time I rang, I got an answer and the hotel owner, Christian, was very quick to come after that. He gave us each a free chocolate, which was a nice touch and he was very friendly.

The hotel itself is a series of wooden buildings in typical Norwegian style. There is a grand piano in reception plus a mish mash of period furniture. Walking out of the reception building was a nice garden with patio furniture, a couple of barbecues and a drained pond. It was very picturesque so you could understand why people would use it for small, intimate weddings.

Our room was a bit like staying in a cabin. There was another chocolate each waiting for us on the bed and large windows and a balcony looking out over the waters. The lighting was provided by a couple of lamps and lights on the bed frame, i.e. no main lights but with the large windows and long Norwegian nights you didn't really need much artificial light.

The lighting on the bed frame could possibly cause people problems if you forget it's there and sit up suddenly. I also think the footer of the bed may be a problem for tall guests but it was ok for me and I'm 5"11. The bed was very soft and comfortable and the room was nice and cool, which was perfect for us.

There was a desk with a small TV on a bracket on the wall and a couple of comfortable chairs. The free wifi was quite strong in our room, or at least it was for me, my wife had difficulty connecting but I had no problems with either my laptop or phone.

Breakfast was served from 0600 - 0830 in the morning. We had a really busy schedule so the early breakfast was really good for us. There was plenty of choice with cereals, meats, cheeses, eggs, bread plus juices and hot drinks.

Overall, I would highly recommend this idyllic hotel and I wish we had more time to enjoy it. It was excellent value for money

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mancmanomyst
wwwaworldofhotelscom, Manager at Fjordslottet Hotell, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
First off, thank you so much for your review.

We do appriciate the feedback, and are so glad to see you enjoyed yourselves.
It was a pleasure to have you at the hotel, and we are glad to see you experienced the hotel as a great place.

Hope to see you back soon!

Managment at Fjordslottet Hotell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sharey Tikva, Israel
Reviewed 16 June 2013

A nice place not far from Bergen with Reasonable price. We had stayed only 1 night. The receptionist is friendly and welcoming. Functional and comfortable room. Breakfast reasonable - served Solomon.
Strongly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pinhas M
wwwaworldofhotelscom, Manager at Fjordslottet Hotell, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Hi.

Trondheim
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Spent a night here during a business trip to Bergen. I was amazed by the kindness and hospitality the hosts showed. We arrived a bit late but they didn't mind and made a meal for us even though food serving was closed in the afternoon.

I highly recommend the pay this place a visit. Beauteful nature surrounds the place as well, so for tourists this is a perl.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Paal_Kri
Hi.

Thank you so much for your review.
We are so glad you enjoyed the stay at the hotel, and we do hope we can welcome you again at another time. We are almost blussing by the fantastic review.

Vicenza, Veneto, Italy
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We are a company which instaleld a machinery in Tyssebotnen among last and this year.
We had people and myseld staying long in this hotel, which i would higly recommend to all visitors.
Managers are really ok and if can can suggest, ask them to prepare a dinner for you.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Hi Giovanni.

Thank you so much for your review.
We are so glad you enjoyed the stay at the hotel, and you are as always more than welcome! Your stays at the hotel is always pleasant!

Looking forward to see you again!

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I managed to come to Bergen on a day when every room in the city was taken. A helpful fellow at the tourist bureau referred me to Fjordslottet Hotell and booked the last available room for me. After a one-hour ride that included a ferry crossing, the bus let me out right in front of the hotel. My room in the adjacent annex had a country feeling that seemed so appropriate with this rural area. Nice furnishings. Good bath. I went back to the main house for a stronger wifi connection and to enjoy the numerous public sitting rooms. The quiet conversations of the other guests, the attractive rooms and the complimentary tea made for a memorable evening. I had an excellent night's sleep in a very comfortable bed and enjoyed the morning sun from my room's balcony. After a very good breakfast that included salmon, I caught the bus back to Bergen to see the sights. It was the second time on this trip that I had stayed at a former manor house. I had a very comfortable and peaceful stay at this friendly and attractive hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Stayed here during a conference with work.
The hotel is historical, but at the same time pretty well kept.

The staff was very nice and polite. The hosts and owners where there all the time and told stories about the history of the hotel. A really nice touch to make it personal.
The food is amazing, and really good!
The gardens were really nice, and also it was very nice to stay at a hotel were they are in to giving the guest peace and quite. The was nice areas for walking close by, and also we had some great activities in the afternoon.

Balcony at the room was also good for peace and quite.
If you expect a city hotel, this is not the hotel for you.
But if you want a Norwegian hotel with charm and natur close to you, this is the place.

And, it was very close to Bergen, which was a great asset!

Room Tip: Get a room with balcony and river view..