“Great place to relax”

Gran Hotel Las Caldas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Las Caldas
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Yes I would recommend this hotel and yes I would go back, (Although I would not class it as a Five star hotel) it is the perfect place to relax and recharge and the spa facilities are incredible. It is ideally situated for exploring this beautiful region of Spain and within an hour’s drive there are many beautiful beaches to be found. I urge you to research the highly acclaimed restaurants in the area which leads me to the downside of our stay.

There are two things which let this hotel down, the lounge bar (bad service and soggy crisps) and the restaurant. (There is an excellent selection for breakfast including cold meats and cheese sadly they took it one step further stone cold bacon and egg on toast, two days in a row.)

There are many things that Asturias is renowned for, its unpredictable weather, its incredible landscapes and the quality not to mention the quantity of its food.

You have to be really unlucky to find anywhere in Asturias that serves bad food sadly we only had to leave our room and head for the hotels’ restaurant.

The quality of service, one waitress aside, was appalling (I blame the management on this one for inadequate training although not the rudeness of one of the waitresses) however the quality of food was even worse, (a five/four star hotel serving supermarket quality tasteless food I find it incredible) we decided to leave after sampling the second course, which is something I have never done before in any part of the world, one redeeming factor they were gracious enough not to make us pay even though we offered and luckily we were able to eat close by for half the price but more than twice the quality and service but that's a whole different review.

That off my chest I will definitely return to the hotel just eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Gran Hotel Las Caldas

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This was one of the nicest hotels we stayed in during our tour of Spain. The restaurant is excellent and you really must try the Fabada. The local countryside is well worth the visit.
The only downside is the Spa pool which is not really suitable as a swimming pool for guests as there is no place to relax around the pool with some shade.

Room Tip: Take the larger rooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank AAMOz
Reviewed 22 September 2013

if you are crazy about SPA resorts and water in general, you should try going to Las Caldas.
Situated in the heart of Asturias, in a nice and quiet mountain area, one can enjoy some beautiful relaxing days there, without realizing the time passing. Also, at 10 min there is a nice golf resort, for the ones who might want to spent also some time outside. Gijon, Llanes and other beaches are at less than 1 hour.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mihaela G
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Great experience. The hotel offers two different hotels a 4 star and 5 star hotel in the same facilities. We stayed with two kids in the 4-star hotel, in a >40m room, fantastic terras with great views. The hotel is perfectly located in Asturias with mayor attractions and visits at max 60 min drives. The hotel offers for families with children Aguasana, outdoor-indoor swimming pools, great facilities and ideal after exhausting visits for a refreshing dive with your kids.

The hotel is very remmendable and we are sure we will repeat!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Veroricky
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Great place, fantastic surroundings, magnificent thermal and spa installations, great and friendly staff...
Just in the down side, cleanness in the room may be improved and wifi availability in all the rooms (after all, is a 5* rated) ought to be a must.
Ohhh! I almost forgot, also very good food. not to be missed !!! For sure, we shall get back !!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JuanFPerez
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I have been to several spas in the region, this is one of the best looking ones and is pretty well done. Did not stay in the hotel since I have a house in the city, but I know it as well from different visits. Location is wonderful and very relaxing, and the suites I remember were quite spectacular for the place where it is. I hope they are keeping up with the standards of the property in terms of service and maintenance, though I don't know.

But I went to the Aquaxana complex with the kid, and in my opinion it is just OK. Quite expensive for what you get, over 30 euros for one adult and one 9 year old girl, too much. The kid had a great time and enjoyed it a lot, but all kids enjoy any swimming pool if they are well accompanied. Very positive things: the smiles of all staff we crossed, and how they took care of the kid, that's good; also the fact of having family changing rooms, so a dad going with his little girl or a mother going with his little boy don't have to split. They are, though, a bit tiny to properly dress two kids, for instance, or even for two people.

Swimming pool is ok, good temperature and good pressure in the jets. Jacuzzis outside were quite nice. The show was average, though. I mean, too long and nothing really extra-impressive. Sauna, showers, steam etc.. are not suitable for kids, so didn't use.

Lockers are too far away from the pool, you need to walk and it is not always hot there. I think the distances are all too long, from one place to the other.

Had to pay for the parking (ridiculous fee of less than one euro), which is odd.

All in all, a good experience for good fun and enjoying a good afternoon in family doing something unusual, but not to repeat. I still need to try the one in Gijon, maybe next year. That one sounds more appropriate for kids, while this one was more for elderly people (as most of the public was), at least during winter/early spring.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Campanu
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I Just want to say wow! ... the rooms are huge and very rich decorated, modern, confortable, the bed and pillows were extra (in size and in confort) the bathrooms are impressive, clean, modern. The breakfast was gorgeous, served in a wonderful dining room with frescoes on the walls. And the spa, aquaxana is one of the best I ever seen, big swinning pool with a lots of whirpools and another connected pool outside among a wonderful paradise view of the surrounding hills, the same for the sauna .... never seen a sauna like this one. just incredible. This is a place that worth a visit if you are around north spain. For sure we will be back here. We stayed this year for January 5th with our kids and the hotel organized a party for REYES MAGOS, that in spain they celebrate as Santa, with the 3 kings coming into the party and giving present to each children (calling them with their name....!!!) my kids were really impressed. we had a lot of fun! ...Of course they were not happy when we left. But we will be back!. AH another important thing, the value ... for what you have this is really a very good deal!.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Ayre Hotel Oviedo
#3 of 49 in Oviedo
Princesa Munia Hotel & Spa
Eurostars Hotel de la Reconquista

Been to Gran Hotel Las Caldas? Share your experiences!