“El Rancho is a great base for exploring Andalucia”
Review of El Rancho

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Villanueva del Trabuco
El Rancho
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Family holiday for a week. First time to mainland Spain. El Rancho was the perfect place to suit all of us including teenage daughter. Immaculate, well equipped and quality accommodation, peace and quiet and lovely views, watching the sunset from the jacuzzi, trips to visit Antequera, Ronda, El Torcal, and visits to the beach at Nerja, and Malaga. Excellent on site horse-riding enjoyed by our daughter in beautiful surroundings. Lots to do and see. Car hire was essential. Alhambra Palace was fully booked, so need to book well in advance. What really made our holiday special was the kind and generous owners Jacque and Garrett who make you feel at home and help you make the most of your holiday.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 47Anne

Reviewed 1 September 2012

We found El Rancho by accident and booked with fingers crossed! However, we had nothing to fear as this was a fabulous place to stay. About an hour out of Malaga with beautiful scenery, El Rancho is superbly situated but it is the welcome from the owners (and their lovely parents) which really makes it. I would wholeheartedly recommend this as a venue for seeing the area or just taking it easy - the 3 boys loved the pool (as did I) and the family atmosphere made the whole holiday totally relaxing. We will certainly be returning. 5 star!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank PriceTheOrgan
Reviewed 27 August 2012

El Rancho is an amazing place to stay. My daughter, now aged 16, and I have been visiting since Easter 2010 and every time has been better than the last. The surrounding countryside is stunning, with views across the valley from the mountain side that take your breath away. As a base to explore the wonders of Andalucia, El Rancho is second to none. Everywhere - Granada, Cordoba - are within easy driving distances and even a trip down to the local town square in the evening gives you a sense of what a truly special place in Spain this is. Locals sitting out in the town square, eating, drinking and talking - it's Spain in all its glory.

Jacque, Garret and Jacque's lovely parents, Norma and Malcolm, pull out all the stops to make everyone staying in the stunning accommodation a memorable and fun experience. You could not wish for more friendly and entertaining company. Every time we have stayed, we feel like we are 'coming home'. There is no where else we have been that generates those feelings and we have already booked again for 2013 - homecoming #4!

The opportunity to ride out in the mountains, on horses that are well schooled yet not 'push me/pull you' types is amazing. That was the original draw for my daughter and I - to go somewhere to ride together which we do rarely in the UK. From the first visit to our most recent (in July 2012) we have never been disappointed with the riding or the experience of being at El Rancho. It truly is a jewel in the midst of the Andalucian countryside.

Room Tip: There are two accommodations - a 2-bed apartment and a studio. We have stayed in both and both are o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Gemma62
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This is my 7th trip to El Rancho over the last 5 years, which I think speaks for itself. I have worked in the Travel Industry for over 25 years and this is most definitely one of my favourite places and we will contine to return for many years to come !! I have spent holidays here with my family and also just as a couple and have stayed in both accommodations which are superbly decorated, extremely clean and comfortable and well kitted out for cooking al fresco which we so enjoy doing. Jacque and Garret are wonderful hosts, the location is stunning with a beautiful mountain backdrop and olive groves as far as the eye can see. The horses are lovely and even if you don't ride you can still enjoy the 2 swimming pools and hot tub, the wonderful scenery and if you have a car ( recommended) there are plenty of places to visit in the area or even down to the coast for the day. So, in summary, don't hestaite to book and enjoy.. it really is a gem :-)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ruth J
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My wife and I have visited El Rancho on a number of occasions, our first visit was for my 50th birthday so that I could hit the cultural trail. El Rancho is perfectly located to visit Granada, Cordoba, Ronda, and many other fascinating locations. The only problem is we now cannot stop going back, Jacuie and Garrett are fantastic hosts and the location is idyllic and tranquil. My wife even got me back into riding after a 25 year break the horses are superb, well schooled and trecking in the campo is outstanding. What really strikes you is how clean and well maintained the accomodation and facilites are, a perfet retreaat in a great location. I cant wait for my next visit!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sdaughters
Reviewed 13 July 2012

At my partners' parents suggestion we (my partner, two friends and I) booked to stay at El Rancho for our skiing trip in February. We stayed in the apartment, which was perfect and immaculate. Our hosts were friendly, welcoming and held a wealth of local knowledge.

El Rancho offers the perfect location for both slopes and sand. We skied at the beginning of the week and were able to be geared up and at the top of the mountain within an hour and a half of leaving El Rancho. The latter end of the week we headed to the beach at Nerja and enjoyed the local pleasantries (Ayo’s for paella, then into town for a look around and a couple of bars).

Overall our trip was wonderful and we intend to visit El Rancho again in September for an opportunity to enjoy the local fiesta and a spot of horse riding.

Thanks again to Garret & Jacqui, we’ll certainly see you soon!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Luke M
Reviewed 27 May 2012

There's a point in holidaying where I decide I've had enough of the 'packaged comforts' found in chain hotels. This was the case with my recent vacation in Andalusia. Taking a break from my work in Afghanistan I was still in need of some peaceful R&R, but needed something more stimulating after a week of hanging out on Marbella's beach strip.

Coming from the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, Australia and being a private pilot I contacted Jesus Perez of www.malagavuela.com, a ULM flying school based near Villanueva del Trabucco. Jesus is a local, however trained as a commercial pilot in the US. He is a great ambassador for the area and a skilled instructor with a genuine passion for aviation. After a spectacular morning of flying in the surrounding mountains familiarising me with his sporty X-Air, he put me in touch with Garret and Jacque. I couldn't have asked for a more welcoming answer to my call. Being from Australia where we drive upside down, Jacque generously offered to pick me up from the airfield for the short drive through Villanueva del Trabucco to El Rancho.

I could describe at some length every aspect of what made El Rancho such a perfect place for me to spend 4 nights. But, put quite simply its best quality is that it is Garret and Jacque's family home that they have worked hard to make into an idyllic, welcoming retreat. In every sense they are the perfect hosts, extending five star hospitality, yet at the same time being wonderfully relaxed and down to earth. When you combine this with the picture post card location, riding their beautifully educated horses, and convivial outdoor dining, in my opinion there is little left to describe El Rancho as anything less than being at the top of its class.

For any traveller, I believe you would search far to find a more attractive holiday destination. However, for someone seeking an option close to the beaches and golf courses of Costa de Sol, the mountains of the Sierra Nevada, and packed with adventure tourism, El Rancho presents a unique opportunity to experience the real Andalusia with a sense of being a welcome guest rather than a client in a high rise chain hotel.

To Garret, Jacque and family, my sincerest thanks and appreciation for making my holiday in Spain more enjoyable than I could have hoped for. Without a doubt I'll be back to enjoy El Rancho and perhaps another bottle of the local wine eh Garret!

Pat Ryan

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank PatrickR595

Been to El Rancho? Share your experiences!