“The Spiritual Experience of a Lifetime!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buenos Aires
Durika Biological Reserve
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Before you hire a taxi to drive you UP to the Biological Reserve, make CERTAIN the driver will bring you ALL the way to the top...some drivers let you out at the stream, NEVER do that. The walk up was a religious experience in itself, they knew we were coming, our cries for help were heard & they were coming after us with flashlights! We could've died that night for being incredibly stupid! Just have a driver that will take you the entire way! The cost up to HEAVEN is worth ANY price!!!! They had Tofu w/noodles in a lovely sauce, waiting for us upon arrival. The people that live here dedicate their lives to helping the indigenous tribes with medical care. ALL of their profits go into the People & the Earth of the Durika Mountain. The next morning they said that we had brought them luck, because they just had twin goats born. After a celebration breakfast, they brought us where all the goats are kept. They were burning their little stubs where the horns would grow. We held the little kids, crying like babies, while we had an experience of a lifetime! The people here were so warm & compassionate. They don't allow cigarettes & booze, I went without for a week! It was such a natural high being up in the clouds! In the morning, you'd wake up to clouds rolling thru the cabin. The knowledgeable staff would take us on DayTreks!!!! Once to the waterfall, taking notice to all the hummingbirds nest dangerously hanging by a thread in the midst of the falls! Another time, to the Indian Burial Grounds & the lone Eagle circling the Indian Graveyard, making small shrieks across the crisp sky! Plus, the Animal Awareness Trek....watch out on this one!!!! He told us to stand back & with his stick he barely touched a round-tunnel-like web...and, a huge tarantula came CHARGING out!!!! The walks along these small trails are NOT for the faint hearted. No stores, no sodas, no booze, no cigarettes....we were busy everyday, so much was going on, we even worked the garden. My daughter & I loved this place! It's so unique & a learning experience. Everything is vegan & delicious!!!! And, the people are the best around! Looking forward to return in the future, to see how their productivity has grown. Melissa (my daughter & I) love this place!!!

• Stayed: June 2012

Reviewed 19 February 2013

A friend's love of Durika drew me there last year. My description of my experience enticed my daughter and son-in-law to join me in January 2013. They loved it so much they plan to come next year and bring their two teenagers! And so it goes..... Durika has it all for the person who doesn't crave luxury accommodations but rather nature at its best. It is indescribable: the hour trek up the mountain road that is worse than any ATV trail at home; the cloud forest that can settle in around you; the absolutely delicious vegetarian food. I finally got the recipe for the Gallo Pinto so I can make it at home! the hikes to the coffee and banana plantations, the waterfall, or into the rain forest; the 2 day trek up to the Continental Divide through 6 ecosystems; the massages; Reflexology treatments; treatments for your other ailments; and smiles from the hard working community members....I cannot possibly describe it in a review when it took me over 2 hours to do a slide show to my women's group when I returned from my first visit.
Check out www.durika.org and see some of the photos, but, you won't get the true feel for Durika unless you make that trek up the mountain yourself!

Room Tip: If a hot shower is really important to you, ask when you book if a cabin with hot water is available...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank InsuranceBroker
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Durika is exactly the way life should be in the best of worlds. The nature of course is at its best. But it is the people that made it perfect for me. The kind, loving and compassionnate atmosphere they created in Durika moved me very much. That is the most precious memory I brought back with me.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Durika was like no where I have ever been! I was not sure what to expect when taking the winding roads to Durika but I was not disappointed upon arrival. The scenery is breath taking you can actually touch the clouds! The story behind Durika is amazing in its self. Everything from growing their own foods to the man made road. We were lucky enough to experience Dr. German's birthday celebration while we were there. We had so much fun. The founding family is beautiful and accommodating. This is a wonderful place to take in the surrounding beauty, as well as analyzing the way we live in our own countries. I highly recommend this location for those nature lovers and those interested in alternative medicine! I hope to someday return!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I return time and again to Durika. There is so much peace to be found there. And the community continues to evolve. To mature and to become even better. I like to think that some of their evolution has rubbed off on me...that I am a better person for having shared the wonder that is Durika. In the year since I was last there, several of the cabinas have been renovated. New trails have been mapped. New menu options and items in the gift shop also. Change is good. Durika is always special and now even more so.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We loved to stay at Durika. Beautifull surroundings, great walks and explanation of nature by the inhabitants of Durika, lovely people, very good food: a great and unique experience. We were happy and grateful to be in this community and this close to nature for a few days!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Although i spent there only one full day, I was amazed of the positive vibrations I received from the people and the nature. I will go back for health reasons in November and will stay 3 weeks. Dr German and Dana were very helpful and I am looking forward seeing them again. If the Dr cannot cure me then the nature will. Already feel very good about it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Been to Durika Biological Reserve? Share your experiences!