“Beautiful hotel in a great location, But...”

Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Albrighton
staffs
“Beautiful hotel in a great location, But...”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Just returned from a stay in Albrighton Hall and first impressions were really good. Location is perfect, just a few minutes from Shrewsbury. Grounds really beautiful. We paid £180 for 1 night stay inc breakfast, 3 course evening meal and 1/2 hour spa treatment each.

Hotel in general is very, very clean. Slightly threadbare in some areas like stairs etc, but I think this adds to the charm of the hotel.

Room and bathroom were very nice. We had a four poster bedroom with large flat screen TV and luxury furnishings, bathroom was well lit and pristine.

Evening meal was beautiful, really good, varied menu to choose from (although if I had paid for my meal seperately I would of been slightly dissapointed to pay £18.50 for a steak and chips that only had steeak, 8 chips, 1/2 tomato and a mushroom).

Breakfast was very good, lovely, good quality food...fruit salad freshly prepared, meats and eggs etc from local farms...only problem was that I don't think anything was topped up reguarly enough for the size of the restaurant meaning a mad rush when they did top up. You also had to toast your own bread which I really think is unacceptable in a hotel of this standard.

Spa treatments were 'nice', unfortunately the treatment rooms are right next to the squash court and you can hear everything. We also paid £20 each for an upgrade to an hours treatment each. We arrived at the spa 5 minutes early, waited 10 minutes, had a 10 minute consultation, managed to get undressed and dressed all in the 1 hour, so did feel a bit ripped off and probably only ended up having an extra 10 minutes.

The pool is lovely, again very clean but it's also open to non guests so no chance of a relaxing swim as the pool was full of friends chatting who are obviously regulars (fine by me as they probably pay a premium to use the club, just not so relaxing) and also a woman hires out a part of the pool to do swimming lessons with young children (again, this doesn't bother me as I have young children of my own) just thought it was worth a mention for people who are hoping to 'get away from it all'.

Upon check out staff tried to tell me that I hadn't paid when in fact I had paid weeks in advance, I did get a 'sorry' as we were walking through the door, but that didn't change the fact that i'd had to stand there in front of wedding guests stating that I had paid only to be told 4-5 times that I hadn't and owed £180.

Would possibly stay again, just wont rush back. Beautiful, clean, most of the staff helpful and friendly...just a few to many niggles for my liking in a hotel of this class.

As an aside, Shrewsbury itself is really beautiful, will definately be going back!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 14 October 2010
Dear Guest,

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I will take note of your comments and the matter will be addressed. I hope we can welcome you back to the Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury very soon.
Cristina de Oliveira-Frewen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2010

my husband and myself went to this hotel for our 11th wedding anniversary and we also went last year too!! the hotel is lovely so much charater and charm and the leisure facities are also great everything in there you need plus a lovely massage too . we stopped in the honeymoon suite last year the room is lovely with the high ceilings and georgian charm this year we stopped in room 23 it was lovely up in the eaves with so much charm i think we perfered this room it was so romantic we also had breakfast in bed which was a heavenly treat as we have a young family. The staff was all very friendly and the hotel was clean and tidyand had everything you needed we also ate in the restrant it was very welcoming and the meal was great we will be returning for our 12th next year

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury.
Raglan
Reviewed 7 October 2010

had a bit of a romantic break away with my partner, been to the Albrighton before and love it. As always the staff are great from checkin to departure they couldn't be more helpful.

Had a bit of a problem with being served in the bar due to a busy wedding but the bar tender was very appologetic for the delay and in a venue like this there are bound to be times when its busy with weddings.

the rooms are comfy rather than plush i was told that they are having some refubishment in the new year but i hope they don't loose the cosiness. Make sure you try the resturant very old school with lots of wood panneling, very helpful staff who gave some good pointers on the menu!

As a treat i had a treatment in the spa whilst my partner used the gym, again very relaxing, the pool is a bit on the small side - no training for the olympics here, but clean and bright.

Overall a pleasant stay, very helpful and friendly staff who are willing to make your stay as good as possible - can't wait to go back!

Dear Guest,

So glad you had an enjoyable time at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury. We very much appreciate the feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Black Country
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Stayed here for my wifes birthday, room c/w 4 poster bed, very clean and well decorated. Leisure centre was good and not too crowded when we were there and the external facade of the hotel really sells it. The staff were uber professional, the breakfast though pricey [£13 each] was excellent. The hotel had a wedding on which didn't disturb us in any way. Shrewsbury is about 4 miles away with loads of things to do and places to eat.
Will stay here again.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.
Uk
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Stayed here for a couple of nights last month and loved the place on arrival . The hotel is in a fabulous setting and nicely furnished. The check in was ok although with only one member of staff there was a bit of a wait . Our room was beautifully decorated although not particularly big .Cleanliness however could have been a little more thorough with a rather large cobweb accross the top frame of the window but on the whole it was ok.

We dined at the restaurant on one evening but the food was just ok and nothing to rave about.

The bed was very comfortable but very early in the mornings we were woken to several service lorries reversing right outside our window - refuse lorries and deliveries which was a bit disappointing putting paid to any hope of a relaxing lie in..

If we are in Shrewsbury again I would stay at this hotel again but check the location of the bedroom.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 5 October 2010
Dear Guest,

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 29 September 2010

stayed one night - one night too long! Room was not clean - toilet had skid marks, glasses had fingerprints and a faint lipstick mark, no soap only piddly tubes of shower gel and shampoo, the shower door didn't close properly. The bed was way too soft, the central heating didn't work, no ramp to access reception and were were shoved away in an annexe (the directions we were given were wrong, and the signs were incorrect too!) and the outside path was taped off. It's a wonder we ever found the room. The food was awful - I asked for Caesar salad without anchovies and they just took the anchovies out but all I could taste was fish! The obsequious mediocrity of the reception staff was cringeworthy. The Wifi was expensive.A shame as the location was lovely.

1 Thank judydidi
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 1 October 2010
Dear Guest,

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue. Please feel free to call me on 01939 291000 or email me on h6629@accor.com to discuss further.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Overall our stay was quite pleasant.
The hotel was located in a beautiful countryside location. Reception was very helpful and polite. The room was clean and had a comfortable bed of good size. There were also tea/coffee facilities, a fridge and iron/board. Fresh milk and water were available by room service free of charge.

Dinner in the Oak room restaurant was really excellent. The restaurant staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. Breakfast was again of an excellent quality and a very high level of service.

The swimming pool was great with lovely warm water. The spa had reasonable prices.

The only problems we had were with finding the room - the labeling of the directions was a bit confusing. There was also a problem ordering from the bar - due to a wedding party at the bar my order for a sandwich was forgotten. I eventually had to leave and get it delivered to my room.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank watcher20
Dear Guest,

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.
Cristina de Oliveira-Frewen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albrighton
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#9 of 16 in Shrewsbury
The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury
The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel

Been to Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!