Just returned from a stay in Albrighton Hall and first impressions were really good. Location is perfect, just a few minutes from Shrewsbury. Grounds really beautiful. We paid £180 for 1 night stay inc breakfast, 3 course evening meal and 1/2 hour spa treatment each.
Hotel in general is very, very clean. Slightly threadbare in some areas like stairs etc, but I think this adds to the charm of the hotel.
Room and bathroom were very nice. We had a four poster bedroom with large flat screen TV and luxury furnishings, bathroom was well lit and pristine.
Evening meal was beautiful, really good, varied menu to choose from (although if I had paid for my meal seperately I would of been slightly dissapointed to pay £18.50 for a steak and chips that only had steeak, 8 chips, 1/2 tomato and a mushroom).
Breakfast was very good, lovely, good quality food...fruit salad freshly prepared, meats and eggs etc from local farms...only problem was that I don't think anything was topped up reguarly enough for the size of the restaurant meaning a mad rush when they did top up. You also had to toast your own bread which I really think is unacceptable in a hotel of this standard.
Spa treatments were 'nice', unfortunately the treatment rooms are right next to the squash court and you can hear everything. We also paid £20 each for an upgrade to an hours treatment each. We arrived at the spa 5 minutes early, waited 10 minutes, had a 10 minute consultation, managed to get undressed and dressed all in the 1 hour, so did feel a bit ripped off and probably only ended up having an extra 10 minutes.
The pool is lovely, again very clean but it's also open to non guests so no chance of a relaxing swim as the pool was full of friends chatting who are obviously regulars (fine by me as they probably pay a premium to use the club, just not so relaxing) and also a woman hires out a part of the pool to do swimming lessons with young children (again, this doesn't bother me as I have young children of my own) just thought it was worth a mention for people who are hoping to 'get away from it all'.
Upon check out staff tried to tell me that I hadn't paid when in fact I had paid weeks in advance, I did get a 'sorry' as we were walking through the door, but that didn't change the fact that i'd had to stand there in front of wedding guests stating that I had paid only to be told 4-5 times that I hadn't and owed £180.
Would possibly stay again, just wont rush back. Beautiful, clean, most of the staff helpful and friendly...just a few to many niggles for my liking in a hotel of this class.
As an aside, Shrewsbury itself is really beautiful, will definately be going back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 300 year old Shropshire House, a 4 star hotel with 87 en suite rooms, overlooks an ornamental lake in 15 acres of gardens in the heart of Shropshire just 2 miles from the medieval town of Shrewsbury. 30 min from the M6, J10A. Ideal for visiting Chester, Shrewsbury Abbey and the Severn Valley steam railway. Newly refurbished The Orchid Rooms at Inspiration Leisure and Spa offers a gym, fitness classes, a pool, relaxation lounge and thermal suite including a sauna, steam room, ice room, and six treatment rooms, two of which are doubles. 24 hr room service. Free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Albrighton Hall Hotel Shrewsbury
- Albrighton Hall Hotel
- Accor Albrighton Hall Hotel Shrewsbury
- Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel And Spa