Weekend break for myself and my partner, 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast.
Hotel is easy to find, located close to Shrewsbury. Grand old manor house converted to hotel, some nice original features remain including the creaky floored, the only creaky floor i hasten to add, drawing room.
Bedroom was vast, well it had to be to fit in the vast comfy bed. Clean comfortable and well equipped. Grounds were really nice, as were the spa facilities, particularly enjoyed the thermal suite after a long day out on my MTB. My only query is the route to the bedroom, not a complaint as we quickly found short cuts, but i was in room 50 and had to go up 2 flights of stairs, along a corridor, then down 1 flight of stairs and along another corridor. Totally confused me and i still cant work it out lol.
I have had bad experiances with these D,B&B deals in the past but not here. Food was very nice, although some did have a small supplement. Lamb shank was huge and well worth the extra. Wine on the expensive side but was top notch, no marked up cheapo supermarket plonk in sight. Bar was also a tad expensive but no more than other hotel bars.
However, anywhere is only as good as the staff that work there. Its here this hotel shines. I and my partner are keen mountain bikers and have some expensive kit which we did not fancy leaving in the car park. Before we booked we called and asked if there was somewhere we could lock them up, the lady on the phone said it would not be a problem and that we could finalise the arrangements when we checked in. So we turned up on friday hours before our check in with a view to leaving the car in the car park, pulling on our cycle stuff and going out for a ride on the Long Mynd. Went in to let them know it was our car and remind them that they promised we could have somewhere to lock the bikes up. Not a problem they checked us in immediately and arranged for the bikes to be locked up in the front of house office.
So off we went on our bike ride. On the way back up into Shrewsbury we spotted a nice looking E road/Greenway, and still having some energy we couldnt resist. Unfourtunately we did get covered top to toe in mud. Rather sheepishly i went to the reception to explain that we were rather more muddy than we were exspecting. After having a good laugh at the state of me and explaining that there was no need to ask if I had a good ride, they came up with an alternative plan and gave us the use of one of the conferance rooms to store the bikes mud and all. We checked the bikes out again on saturday for a ride up into Wales, when we got back a wedding was in full flow and reception was rammed. As soon as i was spotted a smile and wave and one of the girls came around with the key to let us back in.
Despite being Awkward and having them running around for a pair of Bikes the three ladies we encountered on the Reception were top class. Always smiling always interested to know if everything was fine and if there was anything they could do, sorry i didnt get the names, but i have seen that the hotels manager does read the reviews. Hopefully she will read this one and pass on my thanks to the reception staff on duty 9th and 10th October, they really made my stay stress free and enjoyable and deserve a big pat on the back.
One last mention on the staff front, Ewan from the resturant is also first class. His memory is near perfect which gives his service a very friendly personal touch. Once again the service was attentive without being intrusive and genuinly looking for ways to enhance your experiance.
Whoever is in charge of staff recruitment, retention and training needs a clap on the back.
Well done will be back :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 300 year old Shropshire House, a 4 star hotel with 87 en suite rooms, overlooks an ornamental lake in 15 acres of gardens in the heart of Shropshire just 2 miles from the medieval town of Shrewsbury. 30 min from the M6, J10A. Ideal for visiting Chester, Shrewsbury Abbey and the Severn Valley steam railway. Newly refurbished The Orchid Rooms at Inspiration Leisure and Spa offers a gym, fitness classes, a pool, relaxation lounge and thermal suite including a sauna, steam room, ice room, and six treatment rooms, two of which are doubles. 24 hr room service. Free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and ACCOR so you can book your Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Albrighton Hall Hotel Shrewsbury
- Albrighton Hall Hotel
- Accor Albrighton Hall Hotel Shrewsbury
- Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel And Spa