“A pleasure to stay at”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Albrighton
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
“A pleasure to stay at”
Reviewed 21 October 2010

I feel I have to write to say what a lovely stay we had once again at Albrighton Hall Shrewsbury Oct 14th and 15th We have stayed at this hotel a few times in the past and have always been very pleased with the standard and I am very fussy . There are really good facilities with a nice pool and a squash court and gym with friendly staff . This stay was as always a pleasure from the moment we arrived to the day we sadly left . Very professional and friendly at check in . The room was well equipped and very clean , which I am a stickler on. The breakfast was a delight as always with an excellent selection and high quality , beautifully presented. The staff are in my opinion exceptional They are very professional but maintain a warm friendly manner, and nothing is too much trouble for them. When we arrived one of the house keeping staff took the trouble to show us which would be the best way to access the car park and the facilities which was a great help. When being served in the dining room you were always made to feel welcome and that anything they could for you no matter how busy they were was no trouble. The setting of the hotel is lovley and it is just 10 mins into shrewsbury which has a great variety of shops with still some lovley character in the town.. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone and I do not recommend places lightly. My husband and I will most definitely be visiting again

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 24 October 2010
Dear Guest,

My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been part of your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury in the near future.
Cristina de Oliveira-Frewen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Staffordshire
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Our stay at this hotel was loveley, i booked it for my partners 21st birthday, a spa package and i realy cant fault it. All the staff were amazing and went all out to help you with anything. The food was amazing the best dinner ive had at a retaurant in a while, breakfast was just as impressive, a never ending amount of food 'buffet style', it was regularly topped up so you never had to wait for anything. The room was loveley, although the bathroom was a little standard as the taps and plug could do with being replaced. We used the spa and were very impressed with the whole experience. The leisure facilities also are very nice.
Overall a loveley hotel

Dear Guest,

I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your recent stay at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury. I will of course pass on your lovely comments to the staff. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
UK
Reviewed 18 October 2010

A big old house with period style modern extensions and conference facilities set by a pond, in lovely countryside. The place is old school, (and, coincidentally, is an old school for the blind, Mons. Blunkett once lived there as a tender youth), but in a nice-cup-of-tea-with-your-nan sort of way. The carpets were laid in the 70s I'd guess, and you wouldn't want to eat your dinner off them. But fortunately, that's not a requirement of the hotel.

Our party had three rooms. Two were a bit unawesome, but it was my birthday (aah!) and they upgraded us to a really nice suite up in the eaves. Loads of space then, with sofas, and jackdaws (prince of birds!) hopping about outside the window. All the rooms have got new flat screen TVs, which makes it feel considerably more up-to-date than would otherwise be the case.

Dindins? Well, that's to be taken in the restaurant. The restaurant is nice - lots of soft furnishings, dim lights and high ceilings give it good acoustics and ambience. The food is pretty good value, and nicely presented, but the fish we had smelt a bit fishy -- it was fine, but not the freshest. Desserts were good. Breakfast was excellent.

The best thing however was the staff. All of them (yes, ALL!) were polite, friendly, and attentive. I mean outstandingly so. They do things like say "hello" when you walk past them (and when did that last happen anywhere south of Leamington Spa?) They were great. HATS OFF TO THEM!

Recommended!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 20 October 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. The team and I very much appreciate this. I would personally like to thank you for your kind comments about the staff and I know that they will use the comments to further more improve customer service.
Kindest regards

Rothwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We took a late booking and reviews suggested this hotel would be a great place to stay. Due to the lateness of the booking, our booking had not been confirmed with the hotel, but the check-in ladies handled this minor problem very efficiently. We were located in a room away from a noisy wedding reception, which we were grateful for. Unfortunately, this did not stop rowdy guests from disturbing us from outside the hotel at 0230. What really let this hotel down was the service and standard of food in the restaurant. Neither my husband or I enjoyed more than a third of our three course meal, and the staff were either over-friendly or downright rude. Breakfast was a shambles with food not being readily available and staff being less than helpful when bringing tea and coffee to the table. Check-out was smooth and efficient considering the number of wedding guests checking out at the same time as us.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 14 October 2010
Dear Guest,

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I will take note of your comments and the matter will be addressed. I hope we can welcome you back to the Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury very soon.
London
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I stayed for 1 night and had a beautiful large room, with windows that opened. Comfy bed, good shower, all very clean. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Evening meal in room was ok, cheese board was great. Breakfast, only had continental was ok, although a bit pricey. Spa and pool was wonderful, grounds are lovely

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on Tripadvisor. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury very soon.

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Really enjoyed visiting this lovely hotel, just outside Shrewsbury. Had trouble parking when we arrived but it turned out to be a wedding in full swing, after the guests had left we had no problems. Greeted by a very friendly receiptionist and our room was in the Stables, luckily very modern and a great sized room and super sized bathroom. Enjoyed a swim and my husband had a sauna in the very nice pool/spa area. Enjoyed being able to select what I wanted for breakfast and the specialist jam was gorgeous! All the food was restocked very promptly.

Dear Guest,

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.
Rugby, UK
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Weekend break for myself and my partner, 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast.

Hotel is easy to find, located close to Shrewsbury. Grand old manor house converted to hotel, some nice original features remain including the creaky floored, the only creaky floor i hasten to add, drawing room.

Bedroom was vast, well it had to be to fit in the vast comfy bed. Clean comfortable and well equipped. Grounds were really nice, as were the spa facilities, particularly enjoyed the thermal suite after a long day out on my MTB. My only query is the route to the bedroom, not a complaint as we quickly found short cuts, but i was in room 50 and had to go up 2 flights of stairs, along a corridor, then down 1 flight of stairs and along another corridor. Totally confused me and i still cant work it out lol.

I have had bad experiances with these D,B&B deals in the past but not here. Food was very nice, although some did have a small supplement. Lamb shank was huge and well worth the extra. Wine on the expensive side but was top notch, no marked up cheapo supermarket plonk in sight. Bar was also a tad expensive but no more than other hotel bars.

However, anywhere is only as good as the staff that work there. Its here this hotel shines. I and my partner are keen mountain bikers and have some expensive kit which we did not fancy leaving in the car park. Before we booked we called and asked if there was somewhere we could lock them up, the lady on the phone said it would not be a problem and that we could finalise the arrangements when we checked in. So we turned up on friday hours before our check in with a view to leaving the car in the car park, pulling on our cycle stuff and going out for a ride on the Long Mynd. Went in to let them know it was our car and remind them that they promised we could have somewhere to lock the bikes up. Not a problem they checked us in immediately and arranged for the bikes to be locked up in the front of house office.

So off we went on our bike ride. On the way back up into Shrewsbury we spotted a nice looking E road/Greenway, and still having some energy we couldnt resist. Unfourtunately we did get covered top to toe in mud. Rather sheepishly i went to the reception to explain that we were rather more muddy than we were exspecting. After having a good laugh at the state of me and explaining that there was no need to ask if I had a good ride, they came up with an alternative plan and gave us the use of one of the conferance rooms to store the bikes mud and all. We checked the bikes out again on saturday for a ride up into Wales, when we got back a wedding was in full flow and reception was rammed. As soon as i was spotted a smile and wave and one of the girls came around with the key to let us back in.

Despite being Awkward and having them running around for a pair of Bikes the three ladies we encountered on the Reception were top class. Always smiling always interested to know if everything was fine and if there was anything they could do, sorry i didnt get the names, but i have seen that the hotels manager does read the reviews. Hopefully she will read this one and pass on my thanks to the reception staff on duty 9th and 10th October, they really made my stay stress free and enjoyable and deserve a big pat on the back.

One last mention on the staff front, Ewan from the resturant is also first class. His memory is near perfect which gives his service a very friendly personal touch. Once again the service was attentive without being intrusive and genuinly looking for ways to enhance your experiance.

Whoever is in charge of staff recruitment, retention and training needs a clap on the back.

Well done will be back :)

Dear Guest,

I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury. I will of course pass on your lovely comments to the staff. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Cristina de Oliveira-Frewen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albrighton
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#9 of 16 in Shrewsbury
The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury
The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel

Been to Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!