“Nearly a five”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We found the Granary Grill by chance having gone to view the gallery. I ordered the ribs while my husband and son chose burgers. The food was very tasty and well presented. The burgers went down very well and the ribs were good - the only downside was that I could see the ribs sitting for quite a while on the counter awaiting garnishes etc so when they arrived they were warm rather than hot. This was a shame as they would otherwise have been lovely. We also moved from our original table on the mezzanine level, which had a lovely view, due to the unbearably loud conversation from the next table - probably not helped by the acoustics. The waitress was very accommodating and discreet when I asked to move. Will go again and hopefully the food will be hot!

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We are lucky enough to live near Weston Parkin Staffordshire and have such a great facility on the doorstep. We saw the advert in the Wolverhampton City magazine for the Granary Grill and our visit actually lived up to the billing.
The service was attentive without being intrusive, we were greeted at the door with a smile and shown to our waiting table.
Drinks were served quickly and the menu explained in detail by the helpful staff. The food was delivered within good time and was well presented and looked delicious.
Beer battered cod was great value for money and the batter had a fantastic crispy finish without being greasy or overburdening to the cod.
The steak was expertly grilled and everyone in our family party commented on the quality of the food, even the youngest and it takes a lot to impress a fourteen year old daughter!
Deserts were served and matched the main course for taste and presentation.
The relaxed atmosphere and attentive staff only added to the lovely experience.
Do not be put off by the grandness of the setting within the grounds of a stately home, The Granary Grill really does have something to offer every visitor from a relaxed lunch to a formal fine dining treat.
We will definitely be returning to try the Sunday lunch.

Tip: Families with young children might want a table on the lower level or even in the lovely courtyard on a dry day, while couples might prefer a table on the half landing overlooking the lake & gardens.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Having known Weston all my life and the Earl's once renowned food heritage, I have wanted to try the new Granary restaurant for sometime. My partner and I wanted to celebrate an occasion and naturally, I suggested Weston. We were greeted well by a passionate, caring waiter. So here it goes in short form. We were offered no bread on the table when other tables had this. We tried the 'homemade lemonade'. To be fair, the waiter did try to warn us that this actually tasted like a famous non-alcoholic cocktail. Thinking that you cannot get lemonade wrong we proceeded. The waiter was right! We were expecting a cloudy, thick, flat ade with the bits. It was a quasi Caribbean fantasy that did not show off its homemade roots nor sit well with the 'natural' ingredients ethos at the granary. It tasted of E numbers even if there were non there!
The starters - my Celery soup wasn't terrible but it didn't wow. The bread choice did match the sharp taste well - great. However I added much salt to the soup. My partner had a mozzarella salad - she left a fair bit. It seemed to lack depth and a good dressing. It didn't seem to bind together as one. Mains - we both had a chicken breast with a 'side salad' and new potatoes. Now this was a sticking point. When presented with the dishes we were asked whether we wanted any sauces. Looking at the complete unimaginative blandness in front of me I desperately tried to think of a condiment to revive the dish. Seeing me struggle, the waitress confidently replied that she thought the dish didn't require additions. I actually laughed out loud a little. The 'side salad' was four large unsliced tomatoes and a single leaf variety. That is all. I'm afraid this does not constitute a salad. The new potatoes were just that. Finally there was 2/3rds of a chicken breast that was absolutely drenched in lemon to the point that the chicken could not be tasted. However, my real sticking point with this dish was that there was little synthesis between the components. Anyhow we both ate approximately 1/2 our food.
To the waiting staff's credit they were attentive throughout - thank you.

I couldn't help but reflect on the current Earl of Bradford's tenure at Weston. As a trained chief he was immensely passionate about Weston's relationship with food. Bumping into him a few times, his love for the place was ever-present. The Earl's a la carte house dining and pub go have gone down in legend.

Could he not be consulted at least as an adviser? Just thinking aloud.

The Foundation has the potential to capitalise on a great 'living' food heritage.

Anyway re: our meal if you could post an email and ill send this to you directly.

Thanks for reading, very best.

2  Thank TheDancingLawn
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Our first visit to the Granary Grill which has a very impressive external location in the grounds of Weston Park. The restaurant has a modern rustic charm with wooden floors, tables and chairs. We sat on the mezzanine floor with views out to the grounds. The food was excellent, plenty, well presented and... Well just a little bit unique. My husband had the pork and was so impressed with the flavour he forgot to add his favourite ...mustard. I had the slow cooked sirloin and it melted in my mouth and the salad it came with was packed with so many different things I can't start to list them. The staff were very young and attentive but lacked a little confidence..I am sure this will come with time. Nearly a five but not quite because attention to detail was lacking, our bread went back because it was stale, my white wine was tepid, the salt cellar was empty... Little niggles that won't stop us visiting again. You pay a bit more but the food is well worth the extra. I recommend you give it a try.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We went here for a family meal for my brothers birthday in February and what a treat it turned out to be. We were warmly welcomed by the staff and I really liked the interior, which seems a lot smaller and cosier than its capacity suggests but was perfect for a cold, snowy winters night.

We were brought some very tasty homemade bread and butter to start before our mains arrived...my rack of ribs was delicious, plenty of meat on the bone and a large portion with a very tasty sauce, my fiance really enjoyed her burger and my dad and my brother were really impressed with their steaks - thumbs up all round. Our desserts also met with approval and all in all we left very satisfied customers...too expensive perhaps to be a regular haunt but perfect for these special occasions.

Natalie O, Marketing at Granary Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you for your review. We were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us and hope to see you again soon.