“A good hotel”

Ranked #1 of 8 St Just B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Very good Hotel. Michelle and staff so friendly and make you very welcome. Food excellent. Room clean tidy and comfortable. Fantastic breakfast Look forward to staying again, when I'm in Cornwall. Thank you for looking after us. Had one slight problem which was sorted.

Room Tip: Stayed in room eight very comfortable. Pub opposite has live folk music on monday evenings worth a v...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
CommercialStJust, Owner at The Commercial, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. The Commercial is a family run inn and we try to maintain high standards at all times. Hope fully we will welcome you back again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed here for 5 days and had a lovely spacious room overlooking the square. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was lovely (great shower!).
The only thing was it could be a bit noisy. The room had a secondary double glazing to block out the traffic noise but you could still hear the early morning deliveries, but breakfast was 8-9am so we were awake. You could sometimes hear people in the neighbouring rooms, which again was a bit disruptive early in the morning as the floors/doors were creaking.

The staff at breakfast were great. Very friendly and helpful. The food was very nice and lots of choice. We didn't eat in the restaurant here but we did drink in the pub and found the prices very reasonable.
I would definitely recommend staying here, especially if you are up early for a walk/breakfast.

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us; it seems that you totally get what we are about. The Commercial is indeed an inn with letting rooms and a busy food business but we also have a very traditional locals bar which is extremely important to us. We are proud of the fact that our family have run the pub since 1906 and are happy to remain at the centre of the community.
Stafford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We will begin with the positives.

We were given, gathering from what we read in other people's reviews, the biggest bedroom in the building with an en-suite bathroom that was relatively clean. This was just as well, otherwise there would be nothing good to say about this hotel.

When we booked the 'hotel', it was labelled online as The Commercial Hotel. On the day we arrived, we were corrected when they told us it was actually a guest house and not a hotel. This was because we asked if they had phones in the rooms and they replied by saying only hotels do that. We were a little confused about this but it didn't seem important at the time so we let it go.

The staff seemed nice at first but after being there for a few days, as we had booked to stay for 14 days, our stay started turning into a bizarre situation.

First of all, they became upset with us because we wanted to sleep in (and not have breakfast) as we were on holiday but the staff had a problem with this as they wanted to clean the room in their own time and expected us to vacate the room. When I tried to talk to the manager about this, she told us that all hotels do this and when I said I had stayed in hotels that didn't, she laughed and said it was a B&B and all B&B's had this policy.

Let's just say that she changed the type of establishment whenever it suited the argument on her side.

Secondly, on a day when we ordered a taxi, upon coming downstairs, we noticed the manager talking to the driver about us in a negative way and when she saw us, she promptly stopped and went back inside her room.

On another occasion, we received a very rude letter from the manager saying that she had complaints from the staff because, according to them, we wouldn't let them clean our room. This was really baffling and upsetting to us because we tried our best not to sleep in as much in order to comply with their rules and time regulations. Again, I went to the manager to enquire about the letter, thinking I could resolve this in a peaceful manner, but she told me that her staff never lie and closed the door to her office in my face. I knocked on the door but she ignored me.

In conclusion, having summarised the bulk of what happened, the staff were horrible and unprofessional people who made what was supposed to be a relaxing holiday into a very stressful experience, hence we cannot recommend it to anyone.

P.S. We would like to recognise the only person who was nice to us in the entire time we were staying there which was the male manager of whom we do not know the name of. He was very kind and helpful towards us and we thank him for that.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank David J
CommercialStJust, Owner at The Commercial, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Well, well I have been waiting for this review to come online for over 3 months now and will take great pleasure in penning a response which Tripadvisor will hopefully publish. Sadly I will not be allowed to use any derogatory terms such as, and I quote, "worst", "relatively clean" and "bizarre" but I will ask you to keep them in mind when reading my response.
I will begin with our positives! After an embarrassing row with one another about a declined card, they eventually paid in full and left.
Now to take their points one by one... Firstly, the Commercial currently holds a 4 star guest accreditation with VisitBritain. As part of this scheme we were required to drop the historic "Hotel" from our name on all advertising be it online or otherwise, interior or exterior signage included. We were allowed to keep our website domaine name only. We make a point of advertising as an inn as we see this as a unique selling point since our family have had the Commercial since 1906.
Next I will address the telephone situation, or rather lack thereof in our rooms! The gentleman actually booked this room with me over the telephone, whilst conferring all the while with his partner. He asked me some very specific questions re the room, its size, telephones, free wifi, local taxis, public transport. With regards telephones, I told him that I did not think that anywhere in St Just provided these and that if he needed this service then his best option would be to book with one of the larger hotels in Penzance. We had quite a long conversation because he also told me about wanting to visit friends in Redruth and I remember actually saying that it might be quite difficult to get there on public transport . I remember this booking well as there were a lot of questions and all of my answers were being relayed to his partner. It felt like I was having a 3 way conversation at the time. Therefore as you can see, all of this information about the Commercial (and it was very specific!) was imparted to the guests before they had even booked the room and not upon arrival as is now being claimed.
These guests also booked a 12 night stay not 14 but I will not quibble over this point as I prefer address the so called "bizarre" situation. During a 12 night stay normal guests would have their rooms cleaned daily, towels and bath mats replaced daily or as required, bins emptied daily, complimentary goods topped up daily and a complete bed linen change done every 3 days. My staff had access to this room only twice in the 12 days before check out.
Since the guests did not at first use the "do not disturb" sign provided, my housekeepers would knock on the door every morning last thing on their rounds to see if they could be of service. The door if opened to them at all was soon shut again with a terse "NO" so they took to just leaving some fresh towels etc outside the room.
After 5 or 6 days my head housekeeper came to me and said she was concerned about a smell and mentioned that they had not been able to empty any bins etc from this room. I therefore decided to pop a note under the door asking if one of them could come to reception so that I could arrange for a mutually beneficial time for my housekeeping staff to clean their room in order to empty bins etc and change the bed linen. Not unreasonable I thought. We eventually agreed on a time the following morning and the guest asked me to book him a taxi for the next day also. I said that was ideal we would sort the room whilst they were (finally) out for the day and I also reminded him to please use the do not disturb sign provided otherwise it was our standard procedure to TRY and clean the rooms daily. Great everything has been resolved I thought.
The next morning arrives and so does their taxi... In response to them accusing me of making "negative" comments to the driver about them I will tell you what happened. Mark, our local taxi owner, had been waiting for a while so he came in to see where they were. Meanwhile he asked me to pass on a message to my husband about our local rugby club as they are both committee members. When the guests then appeared on the stairs I said "Here they are and I'll let him (my husband) know" and went back to my office. Decide for yourselves just who is displaying "bizarre" behaviour here by making paranoid assumptions.
"In conclusion", I will add that on the 2 occasions prior to departure that my housekeepers were allowed in to the room they were unable to clean or tidy as every conceivable surface be it bedside tables, spare single bed, chest of drawers, wardrobe, floor space was covered with their possessions:toys, dvds, cds, books, games, clothes, bags of rubbish. Bedside lamps were left on the floor in the corner with dirty clothes and bags of rubbish that had overflowed from the bins. My head housekeeper asked me to come and see and asked what she should do. I literally gasped when I first walked in. Where on earth was my so called and I quote again "relatively clean" room beneath all this stuff and rubbish. I decide then and there that they were to clean up all the bins and excess rubbish, change the bed linen and towels and then leave it. I went down stairs and promptly booked the room out for another day directly after their departure so that we could deep clean the room. On the day of departure it took 3 of us over an hour and a half to clean that room. All soft furnishings right down to mattress and pillow protectors were cleaned or replaced and the carpet was shampooed. Three full bin bags of rubbish came out of that one room on that final day.
Finally the words of my guests, "worst" "relatively clean" and "bizarre" all spring to mind once again and I wonder just what a different meaning they might have if I were to use them myself.
I urge all prospective guests to read all of our reviews or ring us so as to make an informed decision about my property and myself of course. We have nothing to hide.
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

When you stay here, you are almost at Lands End. This visit was on a cold, blustery January evening. On first appearance, the hotel looks a little care worn from the outside, but inside, the room was fine and the welcome from al the staff was extremely warm and friendly.

The purpose of this visit was a business meeting in Penzance, so although a few miles away, the diversion was worthwhile.

Stayed in for dinner, which was well cooked and plentiful.

Would certainly stay again if back in this area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
CommercialStJust, Owner at The Commercial, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us
Penzance, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed for New Year's Eve. Had a room at the front and was expecting a lot of noise. This was not the case - obviously the secondary glazing works. The room was clean and well equipped. The bathroom looks new. Had a very good breakfast with fresh fruit and a full English. The bacon and sausages were local probably from across the road. Was happy with the price and can recommend for stat in St Just.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
CommercialStJust, Owner at The Commercial, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thanks for leaving us such a positive review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us over the New Year period. The secondary glazing is indeed very efficient. We try to use local produce wherever possible and breakfast goodies like the sausages and hog's pudding do indeed come from our butcher, Tom, across the road.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Our first visit to st just and my husband and I were made to feel so welcome.
Lovely food, accommodation was spacious and very clean.
Ideal for visiting lands end/ Penzance or st ives.
All locals were very helpful.
Also the free car park was very useful and also it is covered with CCTV.

• Stayed December 2013
Thanks for the fantastic review, It's a lovely, positive way in which to start our New Year. Thank you again. We are so glad you had a great stay. Yes St Just is a friendly Cornish town and long may it stay this way. Happy New Year to you both. Hopefully we might welcome you back to the Commercial in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Just
#1 of 4 in Penzance
Wellington Hotel
Wellington Hotel
#6 of 8 in St Just

Been to The Commercial? Share your experiences!