“A nice surprise.”
Review of The Commercial

The Commercial
Ranked #1 of 9 St Just B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here to get a room near to a concert at the Minack Theatre. The Commercial is a great place to stay, they made you feel welcome on arrival and showed you around the facilities. We had great hospitality and good food during our stay.
The Minack Theatre is a few miles away and they organised a taxi there and back. Be aware however that you need to agree a pick up time as you don't get a mobile reception from the Minack Theatre, luckily an obliging local taxi driver helped get in touch with our ride!
It would have been a long walk back!!
The Cornish Breakfast was very good. We were planning on leaving St Just and heading out to Plymouth, but on the owners advice we spent the best part of our day in the local area, around Sennen Cove and Cape Cornwall, this area should not be missed. This bit of Cornwall is a little bit special, and staying at the Commercial is a perfect base for sightseeing. Shame we only had one day. Thanks for the tip, we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014
CommercialStJust, Owner at The Commercial, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review. We're so glad that you loved Cape Cornwall and Sennen. We are very proud of where we live. This part of Cornwall is just that little bit extra special.

There are newer reviews for The Commercial

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was walking the South West Coast path on my own. On arrival, the young lady receptionist gave me so much time showing me around and being helpful. The dining area for breakfast and evening meals was lovely and the var served the best pint of Doombar that I have had during my total walk. A very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
CommercialStJust, Owner at The Commercial, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you very much for leaving us such a positive review. We like to give it a personal touch by showing our guests around whenever possible as we feel it so much nicer than just being handed a set of keys to your room. Sharp's Doom Bar is indeed a great pint of Cornish ale and we sell a lot of it! Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

As a place to stay it's OK. Reasonable sized en-suite clean rooms in the centre of St. Just.
Owner very knowledgeable about all things local especially as he once lived in the building and was born and bred in St Just.
If you just want to go for a few drinks then there a far better pubs in St Just for that... I can definitely recommend the Star over the road... way way better.
A minor gripe is that the walls are wafer thin and noise travels too easily from room to room. We had room 4 and the adjacent room's plumbing was very noisy and conspicuous.
On the plus side, the food is very good; the best in St. Just. Breakfasts are excellent.
Yes, I can recommend The Commercial as a place to stay but not as a pub.

Room Tip: Room 4 has noisy plumbing from adjacent room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
CommercialStJust, Owner at The Commercial, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you for leaving us such a positive review. All of your comments have been duly noted and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and, in particular, our food. We are lucky to have fantastic local produce available to us.
From Easter onwards, the Commercial very much comes into its own as an inn; with a restaurant, conservatory dining room & 11 en-suite bedrooms, food & B&B becomes a big part of our day to day business. However, our locals bar remains an important aspect of our business throughout the year and we currently boast 2 pool teams, 4 darts teams & 2 euchre teams. As you can see our pub trade is vibrant & thriving and is still something we love to do.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Very very good - comfortable, warm and super clean with the loveliest helpful staff. Breakfasts were excellent with lots of choice and good local produce. Restaurant really good and good value. Our second stay and not our last. many thanks to everyone.

Room Tip: This hotel is on the market square which is busy from early morning - talk to Paul about a quiet roo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
CommercialStJust, Owner at The Commercial, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for leaving us such a glowing review. Reading reviews like this and being able to pass them on to our great local staff makes us very proud indeed. Running a pub/inn that lies at the heart of the community involves long and unsociable hours but is still something that we as a family still love to do so it is very satisfying to receive feedback like this. Thank you.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Very good Hotel. Michelle and staff so friendly and make you very welcome. Food excellent. Room clean tidy and comfortable. Fantastic breakfast Look forward to staying again, when I'm in Cornwall. Thank you for looking after us. Had one slight problem which was sorted.

Room Tip: Stayed in room eight very comfortable. Pub opposite has live folk music on monday evenings worth a v...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. The Commercial is a family run inn and we try to maintain high standards at all times. Hope fully we will welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed here for 5 days and had a lovely spacious room overlooking the square. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was lovely (great shower!).
The only thing was it could be a bit noisy. The room had a secondary double glazing to block out the traffic noise but you could still hear the early morning deliveries, but breakfast was 8-9am so we were awake. You could sometimes hear people in the neighbouring rooms, which again was a bit disruptive early in the morning as the floors/doors were creaking.

The staff at breakfast were great. Very friendly and helpful. The food was very nice and lots of choice. We didn't eat in the restaurant here but we did drink in the pub and found the prices very reasonable.
I would definitely recommend staying here, especially if you are up early for a walk/breakfast.

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us; it seems that you totally get what we are about. The Commercial is indeed an inn with letting rooms and a busy food business but we also have a very traditional locals bar which is extremely important to us. We are proud of the fact that our family have run the pub since 1906 and are happy to remain at the centre of the community.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We will begin with the positives.

We were given, gathering from what we read in other people's reviews, the biggest bedroom in the building with an en-suite bathroom that was relatively clean. This was just as well, otherwise there would be nothing good to say about this hotel.

When we booked the 'hotel', it was labelled online as The Commercial Hotel. On the day we arrived, we were corrected when they told us it was actually a guest house and not a hotel. This was because we asked if they had phones in the rooms and they replied by saying only hotels do that. We were a little confused about this but it didn't seem important at the time so we let it go.

The staff seemed nice at first but after being there for a few days, as we had booked to stay for 14 days, our stay started turning into a bizarre situation.

First of all, they became upset with us because we wanted to sleep in (and not have breakfast) as we were on holiday but the staff had a problem with this as they wanted to clean the room in their own time and expected us to vacate the room. When I tried to talk to the manager about this, she told us that all hotels do this and when I said I had stayed in hotels that didn't, she laughed and said it was a B&B and all B&B's had this policy.

Let's just say that she changed the type of establishment whenever it suited the argument on her side.

Secondly, on a day when we ordered a taxi, upon coming downstairs, we noticed the manager talking to the driver about us in a negative way and when she saw us, she promptly stopped and went back inside her room.

On another occasion, we received a very rude letter from the manager saying that she had complaints from the staff because, according to them, we wouldn't let them clean our room. This was really baffling and upsetting to us because we tried our best not to sleep in as much in order to comply with their rules and time regulations. Again, I went to the manager to enquire about the letter, thinking I could resolve this in a peaceful manner, but she told me that her staff never lie and closed the door to her office in my face. I knocked on the door but she ignored me.

In conclusion, having summarised the bulk of what happened, the staff were horrible and unprofessional people who made what was supposed to be a relaxing holiday into a very stressful experience, hence we cannot recommend it to anyone.

P.S. We would like to recognise the only person who was nice to us in the entire time we were staying there which was the male manager of whom we do not know the name of. He was very kind and helpful towards us and we thank him for that.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank David J
CommercialStJust, Owner at The Commercial, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Well, well I have been waiting for this review to come online for over 3 months now and will take great pleasure in penning a response which Tripadvisor will hopefully publish. Sadly I will not be allowed to use any derogatory terms such as, and I quote, "worst", "relatively clean" and "bizarre" but I will ask you to keep them in mind when reading my response.
I will begin with our positives! After an embarrassing row with one another about a declined card, they eventually paid in full and left.
Now to take their points one by one... Firstly, the Commercial currently holds a 4 star guest accreditation with VisitBritain. As part of this scheme we were required to drop the historic "Hotel" from our name on all advertising be it online or otherwise, interior or exterior signage included. We were allowed to keep our website domaine name only. We make a point of advertising as an inn as we see this as a unique selling point since our family have had the Commercial since 1906.
Next I will address the telephone situation, or rather lack thereof in our rooms! The gentleman actually booked this room with me over the telephone, whilst conferring all the while with his partner. He asked me some very specific questions re the room, its size, telephones, free wifi, local taxis, public transport. With regards telephones, I told him that I did not think that anywhere in St Just provided these and that if he needed this service then his best option would be to book with one of the larger hotels in Penzance. We had quite a long conversation because he also told me about wanting to visit friends in Redruth and I remember actually saying that it might be quite difficult to get there on public transport . I remember this booking well as there were a lot of questions and all of my answers were being relayed to his partner. It felt like I was having a 3 way conversation at the time. Therefore as you can see, all of this information about the Commercial (and it was very specific!) was imparted to the guests before they had even booked the room and not upon arrival as is now being claimed.
These guests also booked a 12 night stay not 14 but I will not quibble over this point as I prefer address the so called "bizarre" situation. During a 12 night stay normal guests would have their rooms cleaned daily, towels and bath mats replaced daily or as required, bins emptied daily, complimentary goods topped up daily and a complete bed linen change done every 3 days. My staff had access to this room only twice in the 12 days before check out.
Since the guests did not at first use the "do not disturb" sign provided, my housekeepers would knock on the door every morning last thing on their rounds to see if they could be of service. The door if opened to them at all was soon shut again with a terse "NO" so they took to just leaving some fresh towels etc outside the room.
After 5 or 6 days my head housekeeper came to me and said she was concerned about a smell and mentioned that they had not been able to empty any bins etc from this room. I therefore decided to pop a note under the door asking if one of them could come to reception so that I could arrange for a mutually beneficial time for my housekeeping staff to clean their room in order to empty bins etc and change the bed linen. Not unreasonable I thought. We eventually agreed on a time the following morning and the guest asked me to book him a taxi for the next day also. I said that was ideal we would sort the room whilst they were (finally) out for the day and I also reminded him to please use the do not disturb sign provided otherwise it was our standard procedure to TRY and clean the rooms daily. Great everything has been resolved I thought.
The next morning arrives and so does their taxi... In response to them accusing me of making "negative" comments to the driver about them I will tell you what happened. Mark, our local taxi owner, had been waiting for a while so he came in to see where they were. Meanwhile he asked me to pass on a message to my husband about our local rugby club as they are both committee members. When the guests then appeared on the stairs I said "Here they are and I'll let him (my husband) know" and went back to my office. Decide for yourselves just who is displaying "bizarre" behaviour here by making paranoid assumptions.
"In conclusion", I will add that on the 2 occasions prior to departure that my housekeepers were allowed in to the room they were unable to clean or tidy as every conceivable surface be it bedside tables, spare single bed, chest of drawers, wardrobe, floor space was covered with their possessions:toys, dvds, cds, books, games, clothes, bags of rubbish. Bedside lamps were left on the floor in the corner with dirty clothes and bags of rubbish that had overflowed from the bins. My head housekeeper asked me to come and see and asked what she should do. I literally gasped when I first walked in. Where on earth was my so called and I quote again "relatively clean" room beneath all this stuff and rubbish. I decide then and there that they were to clean up all the bins and excess rubbish, change the bed linen and towels and then leave it. I went down stairs and promptly booked the room out for another day directly after their departure so that we could deep clean the room. On the day of departure it took 3 of us over an hour and a half to clean that room. All soft furnishings right down to mattress and pillow protectors were cleaned or replaced and the carpet was shampooed. Three full bin bags of rubbish came out of that one room on that final day.
Finally the words of my guests, "worst" "relatively clean" and "bizarre" all spring to mind once again and I wonder just what a different meaning they might have if I were to use them myself.
I urge all prospective guests to read all of our reviews or ring us so as to make an informed decision about my property and myself of course. We have nothing to hide.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Just
#10 of 20 in St Ives
Wellington Hotel
Wellington Hotel
#6 of 9 in St Just

Been to The Commercial? Share your experiences!