“Herb Garden Fun”

Susantha Spice and Herbal Garden
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Visited with my wife on the 2nd day of our 2 week tour on our way into Kandy.

I have to say that I quite enjoyed it.
OK you have to go to this place with your eyes open...it is mainly for tourists, but however the Doctor (Ayurvedic) showed us around the herbs and plants which was interesting to see (though I found it amusing when a huge snake slithered across the path and he was insistent on me paying attention to his vanilla pods lol) and then he took us to down to a little education hut and talked about the medicinal aspects of the herbs.
This hut is also used for local education but they are expected to make a small tip for this and not purchase from the shop (where the tourists are taken so we were told that there was no need to tip).
He did demonstrate a hair removal cream on around 1" square patch on my calf. He didn't tell me what it was when he put it on so I was a little surprised when a nice patch of my hairy old leg dissapeared....cheers Doc I can now spend the rest of my holiday looking like I have leg allopecia.. :/
We did get a very nice unsolicited massage, head, back and face which was great.
Noone asked or mentioned a tip for this and I didn't get a chance to give one...though I would have, as the massage was good.
We were then taken up to the shop and given the opportunity to buy some of the items the doctor had discussed and demonstrated. We were not pushed or rushed into buying anything, but it is obvious what the place is all about, and thats making a bit of money from the tourists. But thats what happens to tourists everywhere...look at the tat they try and sell you in London!
We bought a few cheap bits for fun and enjoyed our visit.
In all I'd recommend it for a short visit on your way into/out of Kandy.

2  Thank WindsurfingRob

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We were taken to this spice garden by our tour operator, Footprints. There is a Dr. Reddy who is a very good marketing person and totally convinced us to buy products worth more than 25000 SLR. It is not that they do not know the genuine products. But the products sold are totally fake and none of them work. The hair removing cream gave rashes, the face creams also gave rashes and the other medicines though did not have side effects , had no effect at all.
The liquid medicines are all arishtas which you would get in any Kottakal arya vaidyalaya. But in this spice garden, they were all costing in thousands of rupees. Not required to visit for Indians as we already know the basic ayurvedic and home medicines that we use in our daily lives.
Visit the place if it is part of your iterinary, but do not be brainwashed into buying anything.

8  Thank LuckyOnTravel
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I'm spending an entire day on Sunday 18/08/13 with a Taxi driver travelling from Negombo to Kandy, on the way with the driver he asks if I'd like to briefly visit the Spice Garden, just after parking a guide around the garden was a little pushy & insisted he take me around the garden & explain about the plants & herbs etc etc, I really wanted to go around at my own pace & within a few minutes I clicked on to this guy trying to sell something, after approx 20 minutes he's got me sitting down & giving me a short massage explaining about the many types of massage oil, then I'm taken into the small shop selling massage oils & herb creams for this that & the other !!!!
When I'm ready to leave & eventually find my taxi driver waiting for me, the guide became a little annoyed when I didn't show any interest in purchasing any of the products, and didn't want to tip & followed me right up to the car and in my face !!!! Disappointing & pushy staff !!!!

3  Thank Stephen N
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed this loved finding out about the different plants and really enjoyed the massage. Expect to tip the guide and masseuse. The products for sale are expensive around 20 quid and up. Enjoy but Don't get caught up in the moment

1  Thank HannahandTony
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Perhaps, my story will be useful for somebody.

I have some problems with my female health. During my female (woman) days I feel myself very very bad, every month. None tablets can`t help me. It last more than 10 years.

I visited “Susantha Spice and Herbal Garden” during my trip to Sri Lanka in April 2013. After short excursion (and free cup of herbal tea from Garden :), I bought one small bottle with herbal tincture. This tincture has strange name: “№ 22, Lady Tonic (ASHOKARISTAYA)”. Preparing of herbal tinctures here based on “Ayurveda”, system of alternative medicine developed among Eastern countries.

Price of the one bottle – near 20 $, but for me it is really priceless now! When I get Home I take this herbal tincture during one month, twice a day. I don’t know how can it be, but this small bottle give my good feeling myself!

When my tincture was finished, I ordered two bottles from my country! And week ago parcel with my two bottles came! I was very glad!!!

A lot of thanks to "Susantha Spice and Herbal Garden" for Your Help and for my magic bottles!!! Sincerely, Nataliia (Ukraine)

1  Thank Natalia A