“Excellent but a little pricey.”
Review of Hintlesham Hall

Hintlesham Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hintlesham
Wisbech, United Kingdom
“Excellent but a little pricey.”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I stayed at the hall last saturday with my wife for a little treat. As a lot of people have said it is a lovely building in very nice surroundings. Checked in ok and was shown to the room. We had a second floor room looking out over the gardens. The weather wasn't very nice and the windows being originals made sure the room was cold when we arrived but a quick call to reception and they turned it on and it warmed up well. As the building is very old the floorboards were very sqeaky underfoot. I hope below us couldn't hear us, the whole bedroom was like it. There is no mirror other than a small retractable one in the bathroom and a mirror on the back of the wardrobe door. Not good for ladies doing make up and hair. There isn't any imformation about the hotel in the rooms either like breakfast times, bar opening etc.
We went downstairs for drinks before dinner and the service was prompt although one or two others had to wait a while as the bar was not attended full time, nothing major though we thought but these weren't impressed. We had to order our food in the bar and then was led through when they were ready for us. On there website they have a as they call it a strict dress code for men being a dinner jacket, well there was one or two people who didn't. The food itself was good but not brilliant this was my main gripe, paying £12 for a starter, £24 for a main and £9 for a desert i except brilliant food which i didn't get. Iv'e eaten this standard at nearly half these prices elswhere. You are probably paying for the Hall as well but i feel it was steep. One other thing is the staff are very helpful but a little too much at times, they kept asking can i top your wine up or your water, maybe there expected to be like this and some people will expect it but i would rather just be left alone a little more. Otherwise a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Razaray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Quite simply stunning. Our bedroom was enormous and lovely (despite a last minute deal!) and the public rooms allow you to believe you are Elizabeth Bennet. The staff are friendly, quirky and efficient. I cannot speak highly enough of the Maitre D' who steered us away from a ruinously expensive wine to a much more modestly priced one nice enough for us to drink two nights in a row. The barman willingly shook up a fine Cosmopolitan for me although he claims to be out of practise. Dinner was good but it was disappointing to be offered the same menu two nights in a row. The dining room comes into its own in the evening, skillfully lit and with piano music wafting in from an adjacent room through internal windows rather than drowning out conversation by being in the room itself. The pianist did very well in steering away from the hoary melodies of torture usually served up by hotel pianists. Where can they do better? Well, the coffee is shocking, tasteless, watery and surprisingly for a hotel of this calibre made with individual sachets; the petit fours were on the sad side -- does anyone actually like physallis and if so are they actually going to eat more than two, ever? The dining-room at breakfast is a dim, unprepossessing room worsened on our second morning by a screaming baby (not the hotel's fault but why the parents did not make a hasty request for breakfast in the room I cannot imagine!) and my scrambled eggs were an unemulsified sea of butter, absolutely inedible but no questions ere asked as the full plate was taken back to the kitchen. Minor criticisms aside this is a lovely, Romantic hotel -- for once I was visiting one with my husband -- and I will certainly go again. Forgot to mention the enormous box of chocolates in the bedroom, very nice touch!

Room Tip: Ask the staff for a nice room and I can't believe they won't deliver one!
2 Thank Discerninguest
Suffolk
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Driving down the long drive way to Hintlesham Hall you get a magnificent view of the Hall and the gorgeous grounds! It makes you feel special as soon as you get there and see the hall! We went into reception and checked in. The man at reception was very nice and helpful. We were shown to our room which was called Gallery. It was massive with an upstairs and downstairs! A very large sitting area with a big flat screen TV. A massive bathroom. You could have got ten people in the shower! There were more than enough towels and we each had a bathrobe. Upstairs there was a bed that was massive! It was probably double the size of a kingsized bed. There was a big bath at the end of the bed with loads of different smellies avaliable. There was also another flat screen TV on the wall. The only problem was that there were quite low beams which my partner had to avoid hitting his head on by ducking. He is tall though so any normal person wouldn't have that problem and the beams gave the room a lovely effect! We had champagne in an ice bucket in the room on arrival which went down very well! We had a massage in the afternoon. The health club was lovely and clean. The masseuse was a lovely woman and made us feel really at ease. We came out of the health club feeling refreshed and very spoilt! We then went and had a drink in the bar. We had to ask at reception to be served as no one was behind the bar but once someone got to us we were served by a man with a smile! We then went back to our room to get ready for dinner. The shower was powerful and hot and I felt like a million dollars once I got out. We got smartly dressed and went to have dinner. We sat in the bar and enjoyed a drink while we ate canopies and then got shown to our table. We sat in the stuningly beautiful dining room and had three courses from the a la carté menu! The food was out of this world! The portion sizes were good and I felt pretty stuffed when I was finished! We then had a couple more drinks in the bar. There was a family playing cards and there was a very nice, comfortable atmosphere. Once we got back to our room we had a couple of drinks out of the well stocked mini bar. The bed was very comfortable and the room was lovely and warm. We went down for breakfast at 9:30am the next morning and were shown to a table. We were offered freshly squeezed orange juice and had toast and crossants to start with. We were also asked if we wanted to have some food from the buffet before our main breakfast but we declined this. Me and my partner both had a full English breakfast which was delicious! We had to check out by midday which gave us plenty of time to get our things together. The same man was on reception when we checked out as when we checked in and again he wished us well on our journey home and said he was looking forward to seeing us again! Well I can tell you all now that we will be back one day! I felt like a princess when we left and I thank everyone at Hintlesham Hall for treating us so well!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carly K
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I stay in many hotels for business and leisure from chain hotels like Novotel, HIlton etc, boutique hotels like Salthouse Harbour Ipswich, Club Hotel and Spa Jersey through to places like Pennyhill Park which is old world elegance. This was my first visit to HIntlesham Hall and I'm not sure if I liked it or not!

I had a last minute business trip to Ipswich and the Novotel and Salthouse Harbour were full and I found HIntlesham at a great rate on Late Rooms at £89..

On approaching the beautiful building, I felt like I was in for a treat as I drove up the long sweeping drive. I seemed to find the side entrance as opposed to the main reception door (it was raining and I wasn't paying attention) but a lovely porter promptly took my bags and led me to reception. I was dealt with immediately at reception and shown to my room *Timperley) which was on the top floor...a bit of a maze to get there!

The room was large with a good size bed in a separate area which had a small dressing table. The sitting area had a table and chairs and there was a small (very small) TV. There was a kettle and tea bags etc. The bathroom was surprisingly modern and had a fairly forceful shower. There was discoloured grout on several of the tiles though and a rather unpleasant shower curtain.

The bathroom and bedroom was very cold!I I turned the radiators up to full but it was still cold (my stay was mid April). The room was furnished in keeping with the style of the hotel; old fashioned. I was quite shocked to find a thin blanket and sheets on the bed as opposed to a duvet; and the blanket had a nasty stain on it. The room was also not very clean when I looked a bit deeper.

Anyway, I decided (having looked at Harry's menu in the room) to eat downstairs in one of the lounges (jeans not allowed in the dining room according to the hotel info brochure) but when I got to reception, I was told it was fine to dine in the restaurant. I was shown into a very large dining room, beautifully laid up with white cloths and silver cutlery. Harry, a very charming gentleman showed me to a table centre back of the very long room. I felt somewhat uncomfortable as there were only 2 other couples in the room, one to each side of me. I agree with others that the dining room would benefit from soft music. The silence was unbearable!. Next surprise came when I was presented with the menu which was totally different from the one in the room and had fixed prices for main courses at £24 and food was akin to fine dining. The menu in the room was a good mix of all types of food including noodles, risotto and fish and fries and main courses around £15. I chose a cod dish which was absolutely delicious and beautifully presented but as I get a £25 meal allowance, I had to go for tap water!

Harry was attentive and looked after me. The couple to my right were obviously regulars and we did exchange some conversation but I still felt like the spare part at a wedding!

I didn't have breakfast and I would have liked to try out the gym but that was closed when I checked in at 7 (found that a little odd).

Overall, if you're looking for a romantic break, I'm sure this would be lovely but for me as a single, female business traveller, I found it an uncomfortable experience particularly in the dining room. Not Harry's fault as he was lovely but the silence in there was painful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank HampshireCarol
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here over Easter and very much enjoyed the charming hospitality shown to us by the friendly and efficient staff. We booked a principal double (kind bed) and enjoyed staying a huge room with a fabulously large four poster bed and an original carved stone fireplace. The breakfast in bed was a delight, the afternoon teas very plentiful, and the evening dinner a sumptuous yet relaxed affair in the panelled dining room. The cost of the drinks were surprisingly reasonable for such a fabulous hotel, and we loved the variety of newspapers, magazines and books available in the public lounges. My tip: bring some walking shoes and enjoy the acres of gardens and woodlands this hotel is placed upon.

1 Thank ALittleBitSpoiled
Suffolk
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My wife and I took our mothers here for Mother's day for afternoon tea. Upon arrival we were shown to an annex room off the main lounge area. This annex room did not have the right feel for afternoon tea as it had an incongruous bar area in one corner and there were no other guests, making it feel quite isolated from the rest of the hotel. It was also being used as a 'holding area' for other guests who were waiting to be shown to their tables elsewhere in the hotel. This also detracted from the experience as it gave the feeling that we less welcome than other guests who were there for lunch. One further odd element was the mixed type of seating - me and my mother in law were 'perched' on conventional sit-upright chairs while my wife and my mother were on lounge sofas. An strange arrangement which gave the feeling we were being interviewed rather than relaxing with afternoon tea.
However, having said all that, the food was served promptly and with care and the sandwiches and cakes were good. Slightly disappointed that the range of teas was minimal, i.e english breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2012

If booked through Lastminute or you take advantage of the Hotels offers it represents great value.
We stayed for one night on a Bed and Breakfast deal.
The room was comfortable and of a generous size,the only minor niggles which housekeeping should have under control were:
Cobwebs on the ceiling.
Poor quality thin pillows.
Discoloured grouting in the shower(not extensive) Bleach would shift it..
The breakfast was cooked to order and was excellent,its served in a beautifully pine panelled
room.
Yes we would stay again..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hintlesham
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Seckford Hall
Seckford Hall
#2 of 4 in Woodbridge
Stoke by Nayland Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
Muthu Besltead Brook Hotel

Been to Hintlesham Hall? Share your experiences!