“The perfect wedding venue”
Review of Hintlesham Hall

Hintlesham Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hintlesham
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“The perfect wedding venue”
Reviewed 3 July 2009

We have just experienced the most perfect day of our lives when our daughter and son in law got married at the stunningly beautiful and welcoming Hintlesham Hall. What a venue; we cannot fault it at all. From the moment we arrived we were warmly greeted by the reception staff. We were taken to our gorgeous room (Regatta) by a polite and charming member of staff, who also helped me to unload my car full of wedding dresses, hat boxes etc. Many thanks to him. The rest of our family and friends checked in throughout the course of the day and were all greeted in similar fashion. The next day we were served a delicious breakfast in a private dining room and then prepared for the wedding. Rene and his staff were outstanding and turned the room around from ceremony to wedding breakfast to dance hall for the evening reception, all the time being efficient without intrusion. The food was excellent and compliments to the chef and his team. The well tended gardens and terraces complimented the event rooms perfectly allowing our guests to enjoy the hot weather well past midnight. Everyone agreed that staying the weekend at the Hall was like staying in a extremely comfortable family home. The final thanks is really to Rene who ordered taxi's, welcomed everybody and organised everyting to perfection. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Polish first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I recently got married at Hintlesham and I have to say without any doubt that it was the best wedding I have ever been to (even though it was my own!!!), the staff were superb, the food was amazing, the building and grounds beautiful, and all in all, this was a perfect stay. We were here for 2 nights and it felt like we were having the wedding at our very own private country house! All of our guests agreed with us, and I would recommend everyone who is thinking of visiting Suffolk to come and stay here! Top marks Hintlesham and all of your lovely staff, especially Rene!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Lavenham
Reviewed 1 July 2009

The service is faultless, the staff are friendly but not overbearing, the atmosphere is relaxed and yet elegant. There is a hint of formality which the building imparts and yet the guests are invited to unwind and enjoy the experience whilst respecting the high standards of the hotel. Ther building is a former Country House and it feels as though one is a guest in a private house and yet with every facility of a fine contemporary hotel. This is down to the resident owner, Dee Ludlow and her team who make sure one is welcomed with sincerirty and given the experience of being a guest for whom nothing is too much. Despite this luxury there is never any hint of being persuaded to have a more expensive choice from the menu for example and whether guests are regulars or one off visitors, able to treat themselves frequently or on a speacial event for which they have saved up, everyone is treated with the same respect and consideration. Most guests appear to treat their stay as a special experience which it is. The food is quite superb and it is lovely to be able to enjoy a number of fine period rooms in which to dine. In addition, bistro style dining can be enjoyed at almost any time and served in almost any room of ones choice. The setting is delightful and the gardens are beautiful with a mix of formal and natural areas to enjoy and stroll in. The location is convenient for 'Constable Country', the beautiful Villages of South Suffolk with their wealth of timbered period buildings and accessible for longer trips to the Suffolk Coast.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Chandlers Ford
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Just back from a great 2-night break at Hintlesham Hall where we enjoyed absolutely everything. The room, up in the attics, was enormous and we loved the bath with a view. The food was lovely and the service first class. There are only two minor points I'd like to see: the bathroom (fabulous, marble) had no toilet roll holder so you had to forage for it; and there were no tea-making faciliities in the room and room service was pricey so we didn't bother.
Apart from those minor gripes it was all great.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Dovercourt
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Booked for one night. Needed to organise taxis to and from Colchester and have them put on the room account. Did this via e.mail prior to arrival and was no problem for staff. Room was lovely, overlooking the gardens and the gravelled courtyard. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Had the most wonderful lunch - the pavlova - and I've eaten my fair share of them - was the best I have ever had. The steak sandwich we ordered at 10.30pm was amazing. Room service was super efficient, and I enjoyed someone else making that early morning tea! Would I go back there?.. like a shot... and I will be.... soon... To all at the Hintlesham Hall if you are reading this, thanks, it was fabulous. Oh, and my stressed out overworking husband is now totally chilled out and ready to go again....

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
London,England
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Historic building and beautiful gardens in a lovely part of Suffolk are offset by a staff that is totally unwelcoming. Everyone appeared to be going through the motions. The restaurant (apparently highly regarded locally) served average quality food and, with the sole exception of the (female) bartender, the staff was sadly lacking. And all this comes at a high price, thus certainly not "value for money".

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank plkmtk
London
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I had no idea I was going to be staying at Hintlesham Hall... I was booked into the Novotel (and had forewarned them that I would be arriving late) so when I turned up after 11pm and was told I was being moved to another hotel I was furious!

However had it not been for this mishap I would have never seen Hintlesham Hall. Although I arrived late at night I was given a kind welcome, offered a drink on arrival and shown to the Harriet room which was stunning. There are plenty of photos here already but I couldn't resist adding a few of my own. My only regrets were the location - I had a much longer journey to get to my meeting the following day - and the fact I was only there the one night and only had a fleeting glimpse of this fabulous place.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hintlesham
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
The Brudenell Hotel
The Brudenell Hotel
#2 of 4 in Aldeburgh
Stoke by Nayland Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Hintlesham Hall? Share your experiences!