“A lovely Inn”
Review of Old Success Inn

Old Success Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sennen Cove
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I was really pleased when I arrived at the destination as the location was superb, we stayed in room 12, highly reccommended as its the best room in the house and has fantastic views of the cove, very pretty indeed. As we went out of season it was very quiet indeed but no doubt in the summer months Sennen cove will be very busy. The hotel itself is real value for money, really can't go wrong for £50 a night for the both of us including breakfast, I booked this on booking.com. The room was spacious, clean and modern, excellent power shower and the most comfortable bed I could have wished for, what a restful night sleep we had. Location wise if you reallly want to chill out and do very little then this is an ideal place to stay, Lands end is within walking distance along the cliff and is a very pretty and scenic walk indeed, not for people with walking problems as its very up and down but absolutely worth walking there, it took around 30 mins. Aaprt from a lovely location, the food in the old success was very good indeed and a very hearty breakfast too, I am particularly fussy with most things especially food so for me to say the food is good it really is. The only one very small negative about this place was the lack of friendliness from the bar staff, they really need to cheer up!! Apart from that the girl who works on the reception and serves the dinner and breakfast is very helpful, hard working and very sweet indeed so well done to Buddy.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lamaqueen

Reviewed 31 March 2011

Only stayed for one night and glad that I did. One of the most tranquil and relaxing villages that i have ever been to. I am told that in the peak of the tourist trade it can get hectic, but Sennen was lovely.

The meal was nice enough, typical pub food really, but it had a nice atmosphere to the place. Lots of locals there including the celebrity dog "Bilbo". The room I had was OK but it there was a lot of noise coming from outside so it was very late until I finaly got to sleep.

Getting back to Penzance in the morning was a bit of a nightmare until I called a great little taxi firm West Cornwall Cars (01736 78 74 73). The driver was saying that they were new.

All in all I would defiantly recommend The Old Success, for the location alone. I don't think I would like to stay in the peak of the summer though.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2011

I am currently staying here overnight as a quick break. The owners are kind and helpful, the rooms have beautiful views of the sea, nice decor, homely but smart. The waves are crashing through my window and the sennen coast is literally outside the door. I've had crab soup and awaiting by fresh fish dinner and really enjoying the experience. Sennen is one of the beautiful spots in cornwall just a few minutes from lands end but great for families. I have stayed in The Old Success Inn with all the family and it's perfect as you don't need to get in the car, there's cafes, a good fish & Chip shop, clean swimming beach, surfing, and amazing coast line. Coming back to the room, it's so peaceful and relaxed, and it's excellent value. A family would probably find it cheaper to stay here than rent a cottage! Downstairs there a nice bar they even have very nice soap for the ladies. My soul feels better, I hope you experience the same, I'm almost afraid to share the experience in case it gets too popular and the prices go up! Definitely will be returning.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HannahLambert
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Great seaview from the room. Good shower! Comfortable bed. Could not ask for a better location Sennen Cove is one of the best places in Cornwall for me! Well worth a visit. If you are looking for 5star Hotels this is not for you. For me, it was perfect!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zondela
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Really enjoyed our stay here.the staff were lovely...the food was good ..the bar had a nice atmosphere and was comfortably filled,tho corridors leading to rooms are in need of some TLC and redecorating, similarly the breakfast room..Our room was spacious, nicely furnished and clean...the bed was huge and one of the best I have ever slept on!...but the view was truly amazing..double aspect windows both looked directly over Sennen Cove and it was awesome...we could hear the sea constantly as we were only about 30 feet away...will definitely return....

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2010

My partner and I stayed one night here on our walk from Pendeen to Mousehole, we got the last en-suite room, which was small, but very clean, it had tea/coffee facilities a LCD tv, and all in all it suited us and our needs, as there`s no way i`d want to stay another mile and a half away at Land`s End, a truly awful tourist trap!!
We had a good nights` sleep, the breakfast is a self service affair downstairs in the pub restaurant, the food quality wasn`t great, but then they cater for alot of people at the same time, it seemed to me like supermarket bacon & sausage, having said that there`s planty of everything from cereals, yogurt, toast, eggs any way you want them, so you will find something you like, and it set us up for another day of walking.
The bar at night seemed friendly enough, its all St.Austell beer, the HSD was bang on, we ate also here that night as there`s pretty much nothing else at Sennen, but the food was worth a 7 out of 10, the fish medley was ok, but slightly overcooked, also the "chef" was unable to provide a hollanaise sauce, which i find strange, when the fish is all over the menu.
The location can`t be bettered, its right at the heart of the cove and the residents car park is a right bonus, if you get the weather i`m sure many will pass the hours, people watching from the beer garden with a pint or 7 :-)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Whilst walking on the SWCP we ended up in Sennen Cove, sort of unexpectedly. What a great spot to find. Loved the village, the hotel location and the ride from a very friendly former manager of the Old Success! Great start.

We had booked a twin room but when we arrived the very friendly and hospitable bar manager told us he'd messed up and he'd have to offer us two rooms for the price of the one he'd quoted to us. Fantastic.

I got Room #4. At first I complained to my mate that my room was the smallest room in the universe ect, but secretly this was perfect. My buddy ended up with a lovely, larger room. Room #4 is the type of space that probably not everyone would like but I loved it. It was very small but perfectly set up for a single guy. A comfy twin bed, small wardrobe, sink, kettle, all in room with a great sloping ceiling. Nice seaview as well! The shower and loo were across the hall in a separate room. Worked for me. The shower room had a heated towel rack so I could was a shirt and have it dry overnight!

We had a very enjoyable evening in the pub. The staff were friendly enough. The food was pretty good but not Jamie Oliver quality. The beers slide down smoothly. Lots of families playing cards and a nice, jovial atmosphere.

The morning breakfast was hearty and served by a very nice server.

All in all this was a great place to stumble upon and one that I would most certainly come back to. In fact during the next several days of walking we tried to figure out how we could make it back to the Old Success and then get back to the trailhead in the morning!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
#5 of 21 in St Ives
Tregenna Castle Resort
Tregenna Castle Resort
#10 of 21 in St Ives

Been to Old Success Inn? Share your experiences!