All reviews the pub lands end crab soup specials board great beer st austell brewery quiz night coastal path sunday carvery minack theatre stunning location an evening meal out of season overlooking the beach lovely food fabulous views sea view
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We stayed at the Old Success before Xmas based on a recommendation from someone else. We were very impressed with our stay from start to finish. We turned up without a booking and were given a comfortable room. The bar has a great range of drinks and the breakfast next morning was sensational and set us up for the day.

The great service continued as once I had left I realised I had left some expensive toiletries and upon enquiry a week later was informed they would be mailed to me. These arrived the next day. I would thoroughly recommend staying here and commend the staff on their level of service.
Thankyou!

1  Thank Melb0urneTraveller70
Reviewed 15 January 2013

The Old Success has a great location on the seafront right by the huge sandy beach at Sennen Cove. The hotel has a slightly weatherbeaten outward appearance, but that's not really surprising given that it faces directly out onto the Atlantic. Inside is very comfortable however. The hotel reception is up a short flight of stairs through the door to the right of the main bar entrance. There is a large guests' lounge on the first floor with comfortable sofas and a splendid sea view (and free WiFi access). The staff were all very helpful and friendly.

My room (no. 3) was on the second floor. It was a small room with a double bed (usually let as a single I suspect), and a great view right across the beach and Whitesand bay. Although small, the room was very clean, comfortable and cosy, and had clearly been completely renovated very recently, including the compact, but very well laid-out, en-suite shower room. Given the exposed position of the room, I was initially a little concerned that the secondary double-glazed window wouldn't be very effective in the freezing 40 mile-an-hour north wind that was battering the coast that night. My concerns were unfounded - the room stayed lovely and warm and I had a very comfortable night. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the room, given the price I paid (£37/night).

On the ground floor there is a traditional pub (with a nice open fire) serving food lunchtime and evenings every day (except Sunday evenings), and a large separate dining area. Breakfast was served in the dining area and was pretty good.

Although Sennen Cove is the most westerly settlement on the UK mainland, it is easily accessible on the hourly buses between Penzance and Land's End (bus nos. 1/1A/501/504). The bus stop is just a hundred yards along the seafront from the hotel. Although it can be a bit cold and blustery in winter, it is a great base for exploring the stunning West Cornwall coast.

Room tip: You can sometimes get an extra 5% discount if you book through the hotel's own booking system. Check the "News" page on their website for details of the discount voucher code.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Highrise61
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Sennen Cove is one of our favourite places and having stayed in holiday accomodation over the years we decided (now the children are grown up) to stay a couple of nights in the Old Success. our bedroom was lovely, clean, comfortable and with a sea view. Cooked breakfast was cooked well though lacking in fresh fruit and only one yoghurt at 9.00 am. Staff very friendly and helpful but main bar area has been painted white (though don't think it had been cleaned for some time)so is very lacking in atmosphere - very quiet, people just eating and then leaving. Where have all the locals gone?? Also where has the Doom Bar gone??? Part of the makeup of the Old Success was the lifeboat crew using the pub. In spite of this we will return and soon.

1  Thank CambridgePaddler
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I stayed here whilst on a business trip in the area. The room was superb...king size vi-spring bed, excellent bathroom facilities with locally sourced toiletries and the room was dual aspect offering amazing views of Sennen Cove. The Inn is located directly overlooking the cove benefitting from a fantastic location. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced and breakfast was superb with high quality meats used for the full English breakfast. The staff were very friendly. This place really is a hidden treasure. I will be sure to stay next time I'm down here...great value!

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I travelled to the Old Success Inn in the 2nd week of December with my boyfriend and could not be more pleased with the welcome we received. The staff were beyond helpful and friendly. The selection of beers available in the bar will please any lover of good drinks.

We stayed in room 6, which has a dual aspect view of the amazing cove and out to sea. There were even dolphins playing in the surf early one morning. The mattress was one of the best I've slept on. The shower is large and powerful with some lovely local toiletries.

After walking the very cold and windy (but beautiful) coastal path, the pub and its real fire were a delight to come back to. We will definitely be returning, maybe during a busier part of the year to take advantage of the pub quiz and local amenities being open instead of closed for winter.