“Fabulous!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Fabulous meals at the Beach Restaurant.
We have been coming back here for years and it never fails to make us very happy. I enjoyed the best ever Mackeral, caught in the Cove, as a starter, served with flavours that made it so good, I ordered the same again later in the week. The mains, Hake for me, and chicken for my wife, were superbly cooked and presented, just fantastic.
This is definitely our favourite place to enjoy really great food, in a great location - we are now on count down to when we return in the summer.

1  Thank Darrenjwool
Daniel S, Owner at The Beach Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

thank you very much Darren for taking the time to write this great review. Thank you for your custom and we look forward to seeing you next time you visit Sennen.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The setting is fabulous, the food was good, the thing that let the restaurant down was the service. The lady behind the terrace bar admitted that she didn't usually work on the bar and boy could you tell. It took 30 mins, 3 chasing requests and 3 attempts for her to serve 3 pints of beer. Also, (first world issue) she was going to put lime in Hendricks gin!!! When we asked if we could order our food whilst enjoying the setting and the weather on the Terrace she had to check! Once seated, only one member of the staff seemed vaguely interested in the 11 people seated in the middle of the room! No one even mentioned any specials. The food we ordered was enjoyed by all. However, we were charged for an Espresso ordered by my husband which never actually arrived.

The prices for a beach restaurant were high, which we would mind paying for the quality of the food if it was accompanied by a decent quality of service.

1  Thank E S
Daniel S, Owner at The Beach Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Guest, please accept our apologies for the level of service you received during your recent visit. We have let ourselves down here for sure and should have done better. On a better note we are glad you enjoyed your food and hope that you will visit us again some day.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I proposed here 5 years ago and was really looking forward to coming back with my daughter to show her this special place and enjoy the freshest seafood that I had remembered. So disappointing to see it not open at lunchtime and limited service later. The staff used to be so friendly and helpful although all I heard all week was moaning about length of shifts and lack of staff and not wanting to open. The food also is not the same. We come down from London to have simple fresh fish and seafood with lovely salad and local veg. It has all got too complicated and the vanilla with the plaice was disgusting. This was my favourite place in the world to eat and now it is Whitesands where we stayed. Such a shame!

Dear Daddy & Daughter,

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your meal during your recent visit, that is a shame and we are sorry for that. I would however disagree that our food has got complicated. We usually do have a range of fish dishes some of which have very simple garnishes. We also have local veg in plentiful supply and continue to serve it on a regular basis. Although you did not enjoy your dish I am happy that the quality of the food is just the same as it has been in the past, a fact borne out by us winning '`restaurant of the year' in the Cornwall Life food awards. Not sure what day you visited but tonight we have Monkfish scampi with a pea salad and homemade tarter sauce, Lobster from our own boat served with orange and fennel, hand cut chips and hollandaise sauce plus local hake with herbed crushed potatoes and samphire. I would say that there is nothing too complicated with those dishes.

I am interested by the fact that you say 'all you heard all week was moaning and groaning from the staff' How many times did you visit? I'm guessing only once by the negative review so not sure why you would hear that all week and from who. The restaurant manager is very open about the reasons for our new opening hours and we trying very hard to offer the people we do serve a good experience. IF you do choose to visit us again then I hope we can please you more next time.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

The fish is locally sourced and cooked to perfection! We were greeted by a friendly blonde waiter who swiftly sat us and informed us on the specials and more specifically,how the lobster would be prepared, upon hearing on how the lobster would be served (out of its shell so no mess) my partner and I decided to share it as a starter as neither of us had tried it before and it was soo tasty! Would definitely recommend it if you have never tried it either! The main courses were incredible, we had salmon and linguine, both which were perfect sizes and the best meals we have eaten out in a while! The waiters and waitresses were both very accommodating and quick and you could see worked hard- we had a few small issues such as a wrong drink coming to us but nothing that spoiled our evening as all were rectified very unawkwardly and we didn't even get charged the drink in the end! Thanks to all the staff and especially the chef who did an exceptional job.we will be back!

Dear Katie,

Thank you very much for writing this complimentary review. It is very nice to hear that you enjoyed the food so much. The team we have in a kitchen do a great job, I know they will appreciate reading this. We hope that you can visit again some day.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We're local and usually enjoy this place for lunch. With family down at Trevedra for half-term, we arranged to meet up at Sennen for lunch. Glorious blues and golden sands, found three parking spaces -brilliant!
Walked across to The Beach with lunch in mind. Five adults and five hungry children, all day parking paid for - then found the door locked and the gate to the enormous deck padlocked. Apparently this place has changed from opening 10am onwards last week, to evening meals only from this week onwards - in half-term!
What a waste of a wonderful location for beachside hospitality. How disappointing and how inhospitable.
Takeaway snacks for the beach kiosk were expensively ordinary and the so called flat white coffees were tepid and bitter & which my barista daughter pronounced 'undrinkable.'
Only the glorious weather, beach and our own folding chairs saved the day. We'll bring a picnic and flasks next time.

3  Thank Anniecat2013
Daniel S, Owner at The Beach Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

It's such a shame that we have been given a kicking like this over our opening hours. Like others that sometimes write reviews you have obviously visited us before and left happy but never bothered to say so on this website until the moment you're not.

For your information the change in opening hours has been a very difficult decision and in an ideal world not one we would have made. This year we have been at the mercy of a skills shortage in the kitchen. Although we have our core team in place the extra hands we need to run two services per day through the peak times have not been forthcoming. We are simply not prepared to put the staff we do have under that sort of pressure day in day out, that wouldn't be fair. Sure we could sell deep fried food and chips with a less skilled team but I'm sure you would be the type of person to be moaning soon enough if we did that. The lads in the kitchen did mention that a lady came around the back to the kitchen to demand what was happening. If that was you then don't do it again please, these areas are restricted to staff.

It is a shame that you have chosen to give us one stars for service, atmosphere and value when you didn't even get past the front door. Just goes to show what sort of nonsense gets written on here. We are always prepared to take constructive criticism and feedback but frankly have little interest in your comments.