“Highly recomended”

Mountain Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Bulwer B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Bering in mind that there has been a recent change in ownership and as the only guests in the whole hotel,iv'e never felt more welcome.Great atmosphere,delicious food and happy staff with a nothing is too much trouble attitude.I will definitely come back for Christmas.Perfect for families,couples and businessmen on the go.

Room Tip: Top floor is quieter with great views and maybe a ghost or two...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravisMocke

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic stay at this quirky old hotel in December 2009. The creaky floors and loose springs on the beds added to the charm for me. The food was plentiful and delicious and even the bonking couple that we could hear from the downstairs sitting room was hilarious. We loved it so much that we added another night onto our 5 night stay...

This last night was to be be our fate.

That evening we went down for new year's dinner and ate a most delicious pork roast. Sadly parts of this roast had been infected with salmonella bacteria and what followed for us was 2 solid weeks of gastric hell. We both ended up in hospital after managing to drive ourselves home from the hotel.

I'm very put off from this traumatic experience and I hope the kitchen facilities have been upgraded as all food was cooked on an ancient wood fired range. There were other guests who ended up in hospital that evening too.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Orla H
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We have been to 'The Haunted Hotel', 4 times now over the last 12 years or so, and I am convinced that this hotel offers the best value for money full board accommodation in the Southern Drakensberg.
I will also admit that the hotel is in dire need of an upgrade, but I suppose that the creaky floors, old furniture and ancient bathrooms also add to the rustic nature and spooky ambience of the establishment. My wife was not really happy with the general cleanliness of the room and the linen, but like I said, the place is old...besides me and my 2 year old son didn't even notice.
The food is typical country fare and the staff are very friendly.
The nature walks and horse rides are awesome and the swimming pool, playground and kids play room were good enough to keep my toddler happy.
I always enjoy my stay at the hotel and I sure that we will visit again.

Room Tip: Take a room on the highest floor if you don't care for creaking floors, footsteps and people tal...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank theo_naidu
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We spent a great long weekend at hotel, food was good,staff was very friendly, lovely hotel, only thing that spoilt it was the callous and uncouth behavior of the bikers that spent weekend there.
Hotel is very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from reception as possible cause you hear everything from 1st floor, even the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patneusie
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I must say coming from Zimbabwe to South Africa 5 years ago was a big change in my life. I left Zimbabwe with nothing but the bags over my shoulders, whoever would have thought i would have ended up in Bulwer, South Africa of all places.
I started off in Bulwer working in the little Tops supermarket which was then owned by Ray and Tinkie Duggan, wonderful people which i met in Bulwer as well.
I payed many of visits to the Mountain Park Hotel as most of the staff there will remember me i'm sure. What an amazing place to go to and relax and feel at home on the weekends, and also most weekdays when i knocked off early. I can also say that the beds were always great to as I used to travel between Underberg and Pietermaritzberg for work so had a few sleep overs at Mountain Park Hotel. I can still to this day remember my first meal there, I had ordered a Hamburger and Chips with salad with of course an ice cold beer on the side. I went to the Mountain Park Hotel on more than a few occasions, and every single time was a great memory to be remembered forever. The staff were always so helpful and chatty, which always makes one feel at home and very welcome.
I will most definetally one day pay a visit to the Mountain Park Hotel in the near future

God Bless
Michael Aspey
Zimbabwe

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank MichaelAspey19871964
Reviewed 9 January 2014

With great excitement and anticipation, my family and I head off on Christmas morning to what we believed would be a cozy, relaxing holiday - to say this was the worst experience of my life is a severe understatement!
I paid R130.00 for the "Christmas lunch" - what a joke! We were served cold beef, cold gammon and under-cooked minute steaks. Accompanying this was an assortment of canned vegetables, cold fritters and pap and gravy. Food was cold and tasteless and the arrangement of a buffet was a joke! There was clearly a VERY tight budget but this is no excuse for what we were served (having paid an additional R130.00 per person for what I believed would be a Christmas buffet). Flies were sitting on all the food as well and crockery was filthy!
Nonetheless we brushed this off with the assumption that perhaps dinner would be more suitable... Unfortunately no such luck! For Christmas dinner we were served gammon, crumbed hake or beef curry. Since two of the individuals in my party are not able to eat either pork or sea food, we settled for the beef "curry". This was tolerable but was more of a beef casserole. Sadly, this has to be the highlight of the trip.
That evening we decided to go to bed early in the hopes that after a good nights rest we would be able to tackle the next day, no sleep that night!
Despite having booked and PAID for six sleepers, we were supplied with a double bed and three single beds. As a result, my father slept on the floor with no mattress and just a pillow supporting his head. Another member of my party sat up the entire night due to the discomfort of the bed and I too had a very disrupted night sleep. Bed linen was dirty with what looked like a blood stain and pillows felt as if they were filled with polystyrene balls!
By 4:00am the next morning we were all ready to bath and head home - bath water was cold, no hot water!
No bins provided for (despite the request for a bin).
Toilet does not flush sufficiently.
Everything needs to be paid for, squash, bowls. We even had to purchase a two pin plug to use this to charge our cellphone.
For R535.00 a person this was an absolute rip off!
The place is not quaint, it is run down, unhygienic and poorly maintained and managed!
Not value for money, and I would definitely not return even if offered a free stay!

Room Tip: No rooms are good
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicole V
Reviewed 3 January 2014

31 December 2013
All jolly and excited, 6 work colleagues decided to take the 'new year package' which included a bottle of wine in the room and a welcome cocktail as per their advertisement on facebook. None of which were forthcoming, but we let this go as we were being jolly! We did enjoy the freshly brewed coffee though.
Still excited, we started to check out the hotel facilities. The pool was a disaster and I wondered when it last received a dose of chlorine! On to the Jacuzzi and Gym...there was water all over the place and it had not been cleaned in ages - disgusting! The outside toilets were locked and we had to run up the stairs to find one.
Dinner was included - tough roast beef, bland veggies and turkey which was tender. The buffet table was badly organised as well. Out of 10 I would give the dinner a 1.
No hot water...it remained luke warm throughout.
Beds were very old and uncomfortable and no fans in the rooms.
1 Jan 2014
Breakfast was a disaster! Once again no logic to the buffet layout. They had filled an All Gold Tomato Sauce bottle with some garbage. I freaked as this is a criminal offence anyway. Management were not at all concerned about this and the health hazards of the artificial substitute saying that "yes there is a lot of bad stuff that we eat nowadays"!
I went to Himeville Arms for lunch and was delighted with the simple pub menu with good prices. Had a great lunch.
Dinner - Oxtail and dry chicken on the buffet. We wanted oxtail but there was only gravy left and the cook went to management to ask if she could get more. We were told no oxtail. A manager came to our table and asked what is the problem. My wife had to go without a proper dinner and no offer to make anything else was made.
This hotel has bad management, bad cooks and should NOT be visited.
I used the coffee cachets on the first day, they were never cleaned up!
The owner wants to sell ...no wonder!!

Room Tip: No need to choose a 'good room' .... just stay away!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank CruisingSA

Been to Mountain Park Hotel? Share your experiences!