“Generally great, but a few annoyances”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elveden
Center Parcs Elveden Forest
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Generally great, but a few annoyances”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Incorrect instructions from the gatehouse for taking advantage of the (otherwise excellent) Flying Start package added to the already rather tedious getting in, getting unpacked, getting parked, getting bikes, which seems to be a feature of CenterParcs holidays. Once in, however, we could take advantage of the nice villa, lovely forest, cool swimming area etc. It's great to ditch the car and do everything on bikes. The holiday worked well for our two large dogs, too. We were lucky to catch the opening day of the new Tropical Cyclone ride, which was a lot of fun. Overall, it was a good short break and we'll probably be back.

1 Thank PeteC69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,046)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

Just came back from centre parcs. I did have a good time however things do need to improve. Firstly we had maid service one of the days we was just leaving as the maid came in she stood there speaking to us for 15 minutes on how her life is so bad and she gets treated really bad, on my opinion that's not professional and she should of been quiet. She even said to us do u want to Hoover for me. We was shocked. In the end we wanted to stay as we didn't trust her in our apartment she cleaned our bathroom in seconds and the toilet wasent cleaned or bleached. We asked after that not to have a maid. We also had the dinning in service one evening which I do not recommend its all microwaved it isn fresh. We found a huge bone in the chicken ball we rang to complain however they didn't seem to care and only gave us 10% back off our bill which wadent good enough bearing in mind our bill was £60. The lifeguards guest services and the young people who work at centre parcs fantastic could not fault them. We did get chance to go on the new ride and it is worth it. Pool slighty chilly on some days changing rooms could be cleaner. I felt leaving today the maids wanted to rush us out at 9.30 when check out isn't untill 10. Most of them need to cheer up and learn customer service skills and learn to smile as to be honest through out my trip only 1 was happy and asked how we was the rest dirty looks. The room was clean but after watching the maid I do think what do u actully clean and is it clean. Would I go back? Not sure!

1 Thank Aimie H
Pevensey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Center Parc has something for everyone, young and old. The staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful. The environment is beautiful and on a sunny day quite magical.
I love my exercise and Center Parc offer a range of excercise classes with professional and knowledgeable staff, you can try the latest trend from Zumba to Lavender Relax..... marvellous.
Tropical Cyclone water ride opened whilst on our break... Megatastic fun. Full on dingy type boat ride that made me cry with laughter and it's FREE.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RunningMunchkin
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Decided to have a weekend break at Elevedon - as ever, we had a great time! Accommodation was lovely and clean, the village as tidy as ever, and any staff we dealt with polite and friendly! My only moan would be the temperature of the changing rooms - they were really quite chilly. And the sub-tropical paradise didn't really feel all that sub-tropical - definately cooler than on previous visits!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kathy L
Aylmerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I came here with 2 friends for the twilight spa. We had a fab time, was so relaxing and lovely to just be able to chill and forget about everything. I had time to myself and was able to feel good about myself. The spa is exceptionally clean and there are plenty of steam rooms around. The water beds are amazing (inside and outside) Although it was cold outside when you were on the waterbeds you didnt actually feel the cold. This experience was amazing and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steve-1994
Hornchurch
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Fantastic Father Christmas experience. Snow, lights, music, real reindeer and owls. It's worth it just for that. New style villas are worth the extra, clean and well decorated. I do think the pool needs to be a bit warmer and the prices in the supermarket and sweet shops were a bit .... Special... But it was splendid and I am going to book for next year. My little girl loves it.

1 Thank Purdita76
Honiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This was our 3rd break at Center Parcs and our 2nd at Elveden. All visits have been family breaks to celebrate birthdays. We were expecting a pricey weekend -- something you don't mind if you get good value for it -- but I left feeling ripped off (on behalf of my parents in law who paid the bill).

It was a curates egg of a break. There were some good points and some bad. I will go through in turn.

The place was decked out for Christmas -- something our young-un loved. The apartment was clean and tidy, but a bit warm for my liking. The Christmas fireworks were spectacular and made a good start to our last evening.

We chose one adult activity -- field archery. This was really good fun and the instructor was friendly and knowledgeable. A good time was had by all -- even if we were no good.

The children's activity of snowman and santa hunt was diverting enough and the kids loved it.

Now for the "sub tropical" pool. It was possibly sub-Blackpool and not comfortable at all. And the addition of the "cabanas" where you can part with even more money for a bit of poolside privacy just smacked of yet more profiteering.

Finally the food. I don't mind paying for restaurant food which is new, exciting, interesting or just plain beyond my capability. However, with the exception of Hucks who knew how to cook a steak, the rest was just sub-standard. "Dauphinoise" potatoes in Cafe Rouge which were stuck together in cubes -- probably mass-produced at some central depot and shipped out to each of the parks. Way overpriced. And 15 quid for prawns in tomato sauce in Bella Italia which just tasted like cooked prawns with a tin of chopped tomatoes on them -- I knocked up a better "pomodoro" sauce within 20 minutes of returning home.

So, hopefully, never again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elveden
Travelodge Thetford Hotel
#8 of 8 in Newmarket
Park Farm Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hethersett

Been to Center Parcs Elveden Forest? Share your experiences!