“Fantastic start to Christmas!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elveden
Center Parcs Elveden Forest
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
“Fantastic start to Christmas!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just back from a fantastic Winter Wonderland weekend! Our 3rd visit and already planning the next. The Christmas theme is brilliant. Lights everywhere. Even fake snow as you enter. Woodland Lodge clean, warm and cosy. Visit to Santa was memorable with lovely family photos and gifts for the children. Love the new Venture Cove for younger children. The fireworks were out of this world and especially the surprise at the end. Christmas market, singing reindeers and street entertainers added an extra touch. Staff are so friendly and helpful. The grandchildren even got replies to their letters to Santa! We lived in the swimming pool and the children didn't want to leave. Had a great meal in The Sports Bar. Swimming and cycling totally exhausted them, but what fun we all had! Lots of wildlife too.Thank you Centerparcs for such a great time. We will be back!

1 Thank Jilly38

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,013)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Not long returned from a family break. Let down by the standard of accommodation which was very poor. Very grubby - we found toe nail clippings on the floor from a previous occupant. It was very dusty - in need of a deep clean. When you are spending nearly £1000 for 3 nights you expect more. You can certainly get some very good holiday cottages for much less. We used to have an annual winter break at Elveden but have decided to try something different next year as we feel we can get better value for money. But the subtropical paradise remains a good attraction and the cyclone water ride is amazing .

1 Thank Deborah H
Emma F, Guest Services Executive at Center Parcs Elveden Forest, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I was genuinely sorry to hear of your disappointment with your accommodation, particularly as I note you usually have an annual stay during the Winter Wonderland period at Elveden Forest.

Clearly the standards you have described are unacceptable and not inkeeping with the high standards we do aim to provide. I am unsure from your post whether you reported your concerns to the Guest Services team on Village but can assure you they would have done all they could to resolve your disappointment.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Subtropical Swimming Paradise and the Tropical Cyclone.

I note that you may not return to us next year but do hope that you may reconsider and that we may welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards

Emma Fairhurst
Guest Services Executive
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Despite living in England for all of my 37 years I rarely holiday in this country and this was my first trip to Center Parcs.

Me, my wife and 9 year old daughter visited for a long weekend at the end of October.
Stayed in a normal 2 bed apartment in the forest and was extremely happy with the quality of the place.
I believe they have been updated recently and a good job was done.

Good size living room with sofa, chair, table, flat screen tv, DVD player and log burner in the corner.
Lots of floor to ceiling windows to see the beautiful scenery with curtains.
Also there's a giant chalk board with chalk provided which kept my daughter occupied when getting ready to go out.

Both bedrooms very nice again.
One double bed room with flat screen tv, hair dryer etc. The other room (for kid/s) had two single beds but no tv which I was a little confused about?!

Good size kitchen with all amenities but the plates and saucepans were dirty when we went to use them so be prepared to load and unload the dishwasher when you arrive!
Nice size bathroom with toilet, bath/shower above and mirror again all modern looking. Also an extra toilet in the next room.

Rear outside patio space with table, 4 chairs and a BBQ area. Despite it being late October we were still able to enjoy the outside space and everything Center Parcs had to offer.

When you first arrive at Center Parcs you drive up to a Kiosk and they hand you a key and a map to get to your apartment.
We were lucky to get a place on 'Maple' in the low 700's so consequently only had a 5 minute walk to be in the Main Plazza.

If you can't or don't want to walk too far and don't fancy the idea hiring a bike then I would have a look at the Parc Map online before you book.

The Main Plaza and The Sports Plaza themselves were excellent.
Plenty to do inside. Tennis and table tennis, badminton and roller skating to name just a few.
There are electronic booking stations scattered around where you can book an activity.

We pre-booked the Tree Top Aerial Adventure which I would highly recommend. Good for kids and adults and a little bit 'leg wobbly' at times!
It ends with a brilliant zip line down.

The restaurants themselves were a mixed buch of quality and price which, if I have time, I'll separately review!

The indoor swimming complex was great. Lots of pools, flumes and the new 'Cyclone' ride which was awesome!
The 3 of us rode it several times and maximum queue time was 20-30 mins which is great considering it was school half term.

My daughter thoroughly enjoyed it (which was the main priority!) and can't wait to go back.
In each restaurant or bar area there are play areas and we found that she had loads of fun playing and talking to other kids.

These areas don't seem to be supervised and at one point my daughter and a few other children were bitten by a smaller child several times.
With no parent in sight this was a small problem but sorted eventually.
Also big kids were in the small kid areas and cushions and padded blocks were being thrown everywhere!

If you have young children you may need to supervise them!

There are also kids activities such as painting and craft work and each night they have a kids disco which was really great.

I have to say that all staff we encountered were brilliant. Professional, knowledgeable and happy.

Overall, for me, I would return to Center Parcs again and would recommend it to anyone.

I would have given 5 stars but previously mentioned problems coupled with other restaurant issues encountered took it down a mark!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank leefromdanbury
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Paid for an original (read old) style executive lodge expecting older furnishings and design. What we received was a bath with overhead shower instead of the advertised shower in twin rooms, a small CRT TV in the lounge, a 14" TV in the bedrooms, 1 kitchen cupboard, no cooking utensils, and holes in the wall. Add to this the fact that when we arrived at 1615 we were told the cleaners had just started our villa (check in is at 1500) and we can sit in the car outside the villa and wait! An hour later we could finally access our villa but there was no apology and the attitude of staff was appalling. It wouldn't be too bad if they'd cleaned properly but I found a desiccated wood louse on my bedside table and cobwebs over the beds and n the bathrooms.
Other than my initial disappointment in the value of the accommodation and staff attitude we did have a lovely holiday. The Winter Wonderland entertainment around the village has improved year on year and there is now more activities and decorations on site than ever before. Activities are still expensive but they have now introduced reduced pricing for some activities outside of peak times if the day. The new Cyclone water slide is amazing and free unless you purchase the photos and pricing within the on site grocery is slightly more competitive. Overall we had a good family holiday but staff/company attitudes are on the decline

1 Thank acormano
Offham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is a must have short break for the family, children of all ages are well catered for, from newborns to teens all needs are met. The winter wonderland kept the younger children enthralled all week with singing reindeer, santas workshop and more twinkling lights than ever (there were real reindeer but the under 3's preferred the singing ones!!) Childrens pool is lovely with lots of different areas for the younger ones to explore and the cyclone and rapids were great for older children and adults. All in all a great break and we will be going again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sue B
London
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was our first visit to any Centre Parcs and I have to say I was very impressed. Just about to book for next year too as it was such a great experience. If you enjoy the great outdoors and are generally active then this is the place for you. Winter Wonderland was fantastic and the fireworks were beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 22JulieS
Steyning, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Just returned from Elveden Forest. Wow have my 2 Granddaughters 3 and 18months had a brilliant time. First thing my daughter did was to hire a bike with a two seater carriage. They loved it and it made getting around so much fun. Our lodge was lovely clean and comfortable. Opening out into the forest so that the children saw all the birds rabbits and deer. We mainly went to the Forester Arms for evening meals as it was near us and they had a soft play area. Good food friendly staff and play area clean and lots of fun. Swimming was a must and the venture area brilliant. But I must say our highlight was seeing Father Christmas. Worth every penny and lovely gifts. My 3yrs old granddaughter enjoyed the Christmas cooking and came out with lovely cooks apron, hat and had made cakes and biscuits. Really enjoyed herself. My 18 month granddaughter had one session in the Crèche and loved it. All in all a very good time. It was our first visit and we will be returning next year.

Room Tip: We had an executive 3 bedroom lodge worth the money and had a sauna. Very modern clean and ideal fo...