“Belated wedding aniversary!”
Review of The Coach House

The Coach House
Ranked #2 of 2 Potton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Booked a table for 2, had an amazing dinner and a delicious bottle of wine. As usual staff very attentive and do not rush you - ever. I cannot fault the service and the meal.
We stayed in a large double room overlooking the market square, comfy bed, clean smelling sheets and a spotlessly tidy room and bathroom. Tea/ coffee/ hot chocolate with a few choices of biscuits available and some nice shower gels/ shampoo, etc.
Ok so the bedroom that we stayed in does need updating in comparison to the downstairs which is lovely, I am sure this is a job on the list! This would not stop me from staying over as it is comfortable and clean and come on the food is DIVINE!
Looking forward to another nights stay at some point :)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 June 2013

After a local funeral, everyone returned to this establishment overlooking the town square. A car park behind was very useful. The place was heaving, yet the staff coped with patience and smiles. Several rooms and space outside made for a very comfortable setting. The refreshments were just right and served well.
If we are in the area again we shall definitely come by here for a meal and more attention.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We had a triple room, one double bed and one single, £90 including three cooked breakfasts! Extremely reasonable I thought!
The room was very spacious and had a lovely view over the pretty square!
Beds were very comfortable with crisp white sheets and comfy pillows.
Great selection of tea/coffee/biscuits in the room.
Downstairs there is a beautiful beautiful bar/restaurant area decorated very well! We only had drinks in the bar but food looked great!
Breakfast the next morning was lovely.. Very hot and fresh, they even extended the time they served it to us as we were out very late at a wedding the eve before! We was the only ones in the breakfast room! Thank you!
Staff extremely friendly and helpful!
My only critism (and it's small) is the rooms need updating to catch up with the beautiful decor downstairs!! I would definately stay here again if in the area!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank juliakp
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Service and quality were exceptional. We would definitely recommend Sunday lunch. And the desserts looked amazing and tasted just as good. This will become a regular eatery for family and friends in future. Compliments to the chef, and waitresses. They took very good care of us and made our experience one to remember.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Doogle11
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This place is a refreshing change from many of the stereotypical English pubs,which have been taken over by Pub Chains. As soon as you enter you are greeted by a decor which echoes that of an English heritage house/Laura Ashley showroom. Its all done in very good taste and there's a great cosy feel to the place. It seems to cater as a cafe/pub/restaurant and in fact the coffee machine is in prime position so that when you enter you may think this is a coffee shop until you see the ales on tap. The restaurant food was good quality, fresh and exciting to see on the plate. However I would have liked to taste more Thai ingredients and fish in my Thai fish cakes as the potato and sweet chilli seemed to dominate. The other members of my family said that there food was excellent, they had sausages and a steak sandwich. They are usually very critical so it must have been good. Staff were very friendly and polite. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank durantt
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I didn't know whether to give this a 2 or a 3 star review but opted for a 3 as the staff were very friendly.

The Goods -

1) The downstairs part of the hotel is very well decorated and the staff that met us were lovely.
2) They gave us a large room and put enough shampoo and conditioner out of all guests - thought this was a nice touch
3) They provided a nice tea pot and biscuits etc
4) The location is very nice and in the middle of Potton
5) Breakfast was cooked really well
6) Check out was flexible as they weren't booked up the next day (again, a nice gesture)

The Bads

1) The room is very basic and needs a refurb (think they might be about to). It needs it - the carpet is stained and green while the curtains were browny red. The bath has limescale stains on it. It wasn't terrible, just perhaps not worth the £90-95 room price
2) There was a very dirty towel hung over the bath when we arrived - which made us worry about how clean everything else was. We handed it to the staff and they looked fairly horrified so assume this isn't normal.
3) Hardly any of the lights in the corridors work (we counted 1 out of 4) which is quite dangerous at night as our room was right next to a steep flight of steps. I also reported it before we went out but guess it must be a bigger problem as it wasn't fixed by the time we got back at 1am or when we checked out then next day.
4) Breakfast was a bit short (8.30am-9.30) and also a bit limited. No menu, just a fried breakfast and no Veggie Option. To their credit, I had eggs and mushrooms and they were delicious. As their restaurant looks so nice, it's a shame they don't have a couple of options.

So in conclusion, if you need somewhere local to stay, i would recommend it. It is nice enough for a night or two. If you want a treat, perhaps choose somewhere else. Or check back in a couple of months as once it's refurbished, it will be definately worth a re-visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

This is my first stay here, im away on business, and I will definitely be back! It is a very warm & friendly atmosphere.
As people have previously mentioned, the rooms are pretty dated ( in comparison to the newly updated bar & restaurant area) BUT I'm here to sleep, and have my eyes closed in the dark in an extremely cumfy bed!! I'm not here on a interior design exhibition! Lol.
Breakfast was perfect! Hot, & very tasty.

Overall I will return, next time with my family and have a few days here to visit Cambridge & Bedford :)

Great place

• Stayed: February 2013
ChrisWoodcraft, Owner at The Coach House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have work planned for our bedrooms to match the bar and restaurants and have started some minor works. We would love to see you again with your family and could recommend some lovely places to visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Potton
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf
#1 of 1 in Moggerhanger
Taylard House
Taylard House
#1 of 2 in Gamlingay

Been to The Coach House? Share your experiences!