“Excellent evening meal”

Ranked #2 of 2 Potton B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent evening meal”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Have never eaten here before but stopped off with family (5 of us) after a family funeral. The service was second to none. We decided to eat in the restaurant & were very pleased that we did. I had the mushroom risotto, which was perfect. The others in the party had the hake, steak & the Brill. No complaints, just clean plates... For dessert we had the ice cream sundae (enough for two to share) it was delicious. Staff were polite & nothing was too much trouble... We would
definitely eat there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 410DEE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Ten of us had a great evening for my birthday . We chose their feast menu . The food was excellent and plentiful. Everything was cooked to perfection. The staff were very helpful and friendly. It s very clean and the decor is good . The bar and the dining areas are all pleasantly decorated . Excellent all round . Would definitely recommend it . Thanks for a great evening.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed at The Coach house for one night.I can not fault the room at all,newly renovated. It had a modern and stylish look, very clean and loved the shower.The staff were very helpful and we had a very nice English Breakfast in the morning.Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CharlotteHatchy
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Ten of us for lunch, really good menu and great food. This place you could visit many times and explore good menu.
Nice internal decor.
And most important it's private and not another chain and situated right in the village square

• Stayed September 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We went for lunch on the recommendation of a friend. I wasn't disappointed.

It is a pleasant environment overlooking the square. There are plenty of nooks and crannies to hide away in whilst you enjoy your food. It gives the clear impression that it is well used by the local community and something of a hub.

The menu was interesting with a good variety of dishes ranging from a luxurious steak ciabatta sandwich through to traditional fish and chips. There is something for everyone. I chose two if the "small plates", a tapas principle, but larger portions. The whitebait was excellent, piping hot, crunchy and filled with soft fish.

The dish I was most looking forward to, the home made battered fish fingers, were not quite as good. The fish was delicious, however the batter was a little greasy for my taste. Nonetheless I soon unpacked the fish and thoroughly enjoyed that.

Service was very good and we weren't kept waiting long for the food.

On the whole I thought it was very good and I would happily go back. I was asked if everything had been ok when I paid the bill. I gave the feedback about the batter and very refreshingly it was accepted in a very warm manor leaving me confident that some action will probably be taken to avoid a repeat.

We will see the next time I go.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Coach House is a take with two halves. First there's the pub restaurant which is, I think, what earns the great reviews here. Then there's the B&B which, in spite of some real positives, is below par and needs improving.

The Coach House is, as its name implies, a commodious coaching inn dating back to the seventeenth century. The public areas downstairs have been given a sensitive modern and generally pared-back make over which suits the place and makes it airy and energetic without being OTT. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

Food wise we only had breakfast but that was really very good. Full English with quality ingredients swiftly and perfectly cooked – including the requested poached egg. One of the best breakfasts I've had in a while and better than that I've had in many a good hotel.

But above stairs things are long overdue for improvement. Let's start with some pros though:

PROS

+ The room was large and airy
+ Plenty of hot water in the shower – good pressure
+ Comfortable bed with crisp clean linen
+ Clean fresh towels
+ Decent selection of quality hot drinks and biscuits in the room

But then there are the problems...

CONS

+ Common parts upstairs are very tired – need a repaint, new carpets (old ones quite stained) and better lighting).
+ Rooms and bathrooms need a refresh for all of the same reasons as common parts
+ Carpet in dining room (where breakfast is served) does not look old but is badly soiled and spotted. Generally the place looks clean and – on the ground floor at least – also quite fresh so this is letting that side of it down. It is really quite bad.

As it stands I can feel OK(ish) about the £90 per night for a double room because we got a good night's sleep and a really good breakfast. But this won't be great value until they sort out the tired rooms. The annoying thing is that I really don't think they'd have to do that much to make a marked improvement. And with the level of business they seem to get for weddings alone I would think it would be worth it.

Room Tip: Right now I suspect all rooms are rather tired.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
ChrisWoodcraft, Owner at The Coach House, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Coach House.

We think your comments are very honest and we can only agree with you. We have been desperate to renovate our bedrooms since day one so that they match what we have created downstairs. We have only been here for a little over 18 months now and for obvious reasons haven't been in a position to carry out this work. We have worked hard to keep the rooms as clean and comfortable as possible whilst awaiting renovation.

However, we have just completed one bedroom as a sample and benchmark for the rest of our rooms. We are really pleased with the finished result and have had great feedback so far. We plan to complete the rest of the rooms shortly.

We have added a few photos of the new bedroom to give you a sneak peek.

Belle and I are always keen to receive feedback and make improvements where possible. We care passionately about making sure visitors to The Coach House have the best experience possible.

If you would like to discuss anything further please contact me on mail@coachhousepotton.co.uk
Potton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Just haven't had the chance to have dinner though have had a sandwich lunch which was great. Last night 4 of us had dinner and I have to say for someone who spends most of his time in hotel restaurants around the world last night was marvellous. The perfect mix of attention and being left alone combined with top quality food and menu. Though we ordered from the individual wine by the glass list the full list looked fun, very appropriate and well priced.

The mix between locals having a pint in the bar and the restaurants were perfect and absolutely no conflict. Staff excellent and numbered just right, meaning we all had a lovely chat and a excellent meal.

All in a perfect evening, thanks all!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Potton
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Fullers Hill Cottages
#1 of 1 in Little Gransden
Molehill Barn Bed & Breakfast
The Old Piggery Guest House & Yurts

Been to The Coach House? Share your experiences!