Open today: 10:00 - 17:00

from US$63.90
from US$34.90
from US$23.20
1,213 results
All reviews re enactments guided tour number bus victorian era british army victorian times military history dressed in period martini henry rifle small fee muzzle loading enthusiastic staff saluting battery free transport cannon firing working order great afternoon
Reviewed 26 June 2018

We made the family decision to walk from where we were staying (and leave the rental car and public transportation for another day). For a 6 and a 10 year old as our kids, this was going to be an up hill trek (literally since it is uphill).

What awaited us was truly one of the best and most authentic experiences i have had. It was as much a as a trip down military history as it was about industrialization and its effects on modern artillery, as well as practical hands-on exposure to evolution of weapons.

The staff are all very much into their role as preservers of this historic monument. They engage with passion and humor as they not just put on the uniforms of the era but also embrace the spirit of those that wore them.

We met a Swede (Simon), a British, and then 2 others whom I did not get a chance to speak to.

The kids really enjoyed the 'live' fire of the rifle (with a blank) after getting a fun talk on history of muskets/rifles. We got to see a drill practice that the 4 'soldiers' did, and that was done with fairly good precision given their little chance to practice.

And yes, we got excellent tours of all the museum sections and not just exposed to understand what the history of the fort was, but also what it was like to be a soldier in those days (from mess kit to how the army recruited non-officers)

This was the first site we saw during the visit and I am glad we changed our plans to see this first since it set a high bar for the rest of the Malta visit for the family and I.

Highly recommended.

3  Thank Frank J
Reviewed 26 June 2018

Had a great time here. The re-enactors Simon, Ayrton, David, Jeremy, Bernie and Mari clearly love their roles of keeping the history of this fort alive and their enthusiasm and passion shines through. The lady taking the money, Naomi Lynn was very pleasant and helpful too, they make a great team and you will have a very interesting time there.

2  Thank Rory A
Reviewed 26 June 2018

My visit to Malta a few weeks back was really good, my interest is WW2 and I wasn't disappointed on my travels around the Island, great museums and friendly people, one highlight for me was Fort Rinella, and I am going to push the boat out for you guys, 10 out of 10 marks, from the moment I entered the gate I had a warm welcome from Noemi, they have a fantastic museum, then I heard a whistle telling us visitors of a bayonet demonstration in the yard, outside I came face to face with a soldier dressed in British 1900s uniform this young lad was Arton and his demonstration and knowledge was 1st class, well done I told him later he would make a fine soldier in todays armed forces, not forgetting David Justin and Jeremy, I was really impressed with you guys, they have a brilliant café with lovely meals served by Mari, a visit to Fort Rinella you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank PetePDC
Reviewed 25 June 2018

All there is to see is the biggest gun in the world but I have seen nuclear artillery that were much bigger. There is nothing to see except that and some horses. Also school tours are very boring

Mario F, Owner at Fort Rinella, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Thank you for your review! So there is nothing else at Fort Rinella besides the world's largest cannon?! You obviously did not care to join one of our numerous tours nor assist any of the hands on displays or animated tours. It appears that you have even gave a miss to the top rated museum exhibition that outlines the history of the British Victorian army where one can see the largest assembly of original weapons, uniforms, documents, equipment, models and paper work under one roof. You have also missed seeing the original steam driven hydraulic engine room which powered the Armstrong 100-ton gun and which made it a world first. Did you fire a cannon or a rifle by any chance or perhaps try a soldier’s meal? Surely not, as you must have visited when the fort was either shut or you did not bother to go in after all. Otherwise you would have been more honest in your review. By the way your knowledge in artillery is manifestly non-existent as no ‘nuclear gun’ is any bigger than the Armstrong 100-ton at Fort Rinella which remains to this day as the largest muzzle loading gun ever built.

Mario

Reviewed 24 June 2018

We bought the multi-site pass that includes the Lascaris War Rooms and Fort Rinella. With the pass, you also get free one way transport from the Lascaris War Rooms to Fort Rinelle. What a great experience! The Fort is manned by volunteers, who are super knowlegdeable, passionate and very committed to restoring the Fort and its components to original working order. We thoroughly enjoyed all of the demonstrations and historical background. David, Simon, Jeremy, Ayrton and their compatriats made this a wonderful, educational and super fun experience.

1  Thank mhughes17