“Pitches Perfect”

Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Ophir
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Colleen and her staff are foodies. The luncheon platter for two was delicious and sumptuous, and the evening meal a delight, course after course. We loved it!

The real highlight though was the love that Colleen and David have lavished on what was a derelict building. The restoration is a feat of elegant engineering, sensitive architecture and craftsmanship. The en-suite accommodation reflects that care.

Pitches Store is a "must stay" on the Rail Trail - it's a gem.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We enjoyed lunch here, open chicken lasagne, which was delicious, generous and very tasty. Can recommend to anyone passing.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Riding The Otago Trail, my friends and I especially looked forward to this restaurant as we'd heard such good things. Even accounting for overly high expectations the actuality was pretty disappointing. Incidentally this is the first negative restaurant review I've ever written.
One of my Kiwi travel companions had booked months in advance and then re confirmed a time of the restaurant's convenience on the day. We were happily seated and water given once requested. (Neither re offered or refilled during the meal.) Menus came and specials highlighted. Wine appeared as selected and was delicious. Of course at $60 a bottle happily there shouldn't be any chance if a bad drop. All was fine.
Unfortunately I couldn't hear the specials described as the waitress spoke so softly and no, I don't have hearing problems. My friends were also in the dark. Never mind.Giving up on the specials and looking over the menu, we selected, but were told our choices, were unavailable. All three of them? For a small menu of six mains, aside from pasta, it's perplexing why three were sold out on a Tuesday evening at 7.30pm. We thought again.
Finally a shared pâté, two medium rare steaks and a fish dish were ordered.
The pate was delicious, but what's with serving it with supermarket crackers rather than the advertised crostinis?
The fish arrived and was 'fine' according to my friend, but the steaks were like old boots and certainly not medium rare. A pile of gristle became stacked on my friend's plate and I left much of mine.
When questioned on our meals we told the truth. Not really as anticipated! We were then made to feel this was our fault and told our lack of meal selection was due to the time(7.30pm)and day(Tuesday!),huh? My friend quite clearly detailed our disappointment in a polite manner and apology given.
In this circumstance usually something is offered to appease disgruntled punters. A free desert, coffee whatever. Here, nada! Weird. So easy to at least appear to be concerned. Not really standard considering the calibre expected from word of mouth and prices charged. Mmm. A mystery. Don't go or at least certainly don't make any special effort to detour from your cycle trip. Enjoy.

2  Thank girlviking26
Reviewed 2 April 2014

thanks colleen and staff for a wonderful stay after our day on the otago rail trail. lovely comfortable bed and a superb meal to finish the day. was fine dining at its best and thoroughly enjoyed the recommended local wine. great breakfast and fantastic coffee to start the next day's cycling too - was hard to leave such a gorgeous place. will definitely return.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This was such a wonderful surprise - a perfect boutique hotel in the most unexpected place. Lovely rooms, great food, funky decor, and very friendly staff. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend!