“Isolated but quite OK”
Review of Madura Roadhouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madura
Madura Roadhouse
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This was our second stop on the Nullarbor, about 400km from the Nullarbor Roadhouse. Set in mallee woodland, gravel sites ( and fair enough considering where it is located ), amenities OK,friendly and efficient staff and quite a reasonable meal at the restaurant .

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

The sign out the front says Oasis and I suppose it is an Oasis in the middle of nowhere. And to be absolutely honest it is the best around. I have read the other reviews but my experience was different, yes it is rough and ready and overpriced but guess what there is nothing else around for miles. The rooms are dated and very basic but I found then clean and tidy. The staff at the Roadhouse are very friendly and I had some interesting conversations with them, which made the stay more enjoyable. I had a very nice dinner in the restaurant as well. The only thing which was a pain for me personally was having to walk up the hill to get Telstra phone service. This motel is the best around, come on people get into the spirit of the outback it is in middle of the Nullarbor.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank nerney1961
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I went about locking all the windows so I could buy a feed at the restraunt and then found out the only thing to lock was the front door. Went to the reception and asked for a room I could lock as I didn't want my gear stolen. The manager told me to put up with it as I will be sleeping so no one will take my stuff. As no cooking is allowed in the rooms I needed to eat in their 'restraunt' and so I wouldn't always be there, which I explained to the manager. I asked again for a room I could lock as there were quite a few vacant rooms left going by the keys hanging on the wall behind him. He said, "No" and I told him that I don't want a room that couldn't be locked. I was given my refund of $115 for the nights accomadation ($10 for key deposit) and was told to find a rest area on the highway somewhere. After packing my gear back in the car I went and asked to buy some fuel to which the manager replied, "The pumps are closed for the night and I will not open them till the morning". Take my advice and plan your trip better by not staying anywhere near this place !!! After talking to a truck driver at the top of the range 5kms away, he let me sit on his tail (to avoid k'roos etc.) till I made it to Cocklebiddy almost an hour away.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank FredE681
Reviewed 11 April 2013

There is one place to stay, in fact this is the only place here at all, and I was incredibly happy to see the basic but comfortable and clean accommodation after a long day on the road. I skipped Eucla as I had stayed there before and was glad I did.

It was fine for a traveller's rest and not overly expensive - although the petrol was and a tiny coffee offered to me on Good Friday (restaurant not open) was $5.60. Next stop Kalgoorlie!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jude C
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We only spent one night at this roadhouse as it was the only one available in Madura. The room was very basic with painted block interior. The carpet had holes in 3 or 4 places and the whole room could have done with a make-over. The room itself was clean with clean beds and linen but we first of all had to get rid of about a dozen moths in the window and on the walls. The en-suite bathroom was again very basic and certainly needed refurbishment. We ate in the restaurant on site as there was no other alternative. Both our first choices were unavailable and of the second choices one was good and the other disappointingly tough. The staff were very pleasant. It is a convenient stopping off point on the road. Is it worth the price? Probably not but where else can you stay?

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

The hotel room was very disappointing. The best was getting out of it.
It was not clean and very dated. The whole complex was generally run down.
Surprisingly the food, the daily choice, was not bad. Thanks God, or we would have starved.
If you can stay in Eucla

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank MargitandJim
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed here with our van in the Park at a powered site, and we felt it served our purpose well! It beats trying to dodge animals at dusk! The amenities were adequate and clean, and the overnight cost was very reasonably priced considering how isolated Madura is and the fact they generate their own power. We opted for a meal in the Restaurant and were pleasantly surprised at the quality, and size, at a reasonable price. The staff were friendly and courteous and a special mention of the French waiter, who carried out a variety of tasks with enthusiasm.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sandykperth

Been to Madura Roadhouse? Share your experiences!