“Very reasonably priced hearty pub food & lovely staff”
Review of The Green Man

The Green Man
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Shepreth
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I ate here with my boyfriend, his father and his grandparents on a dreary Sunday afternoon in April. My boyfriend’s grandfather is very frail, and the staff were incredibly helpful and patient as he negotiated his walker round to our table.
The menu is incredibly extensive, and almost a bit overwhelming as you have to read the paper menu and look at the huge boards, too. But the choice and the price were both great: three of my party of 6 had the Sunday roast, which includes a huge plate of roast dinner followed by a pudding, all for £10.50.
Our drinks were brought promptly, and then our food followed fairly soon after. I chose the fishcakes, which were nice – but not actually all that fishy… The salad served with the main meals is a little lacking, but all in all, the food is incredibly hearty and generous. Everyone enjoyed their meal greatly, and it’s brilliant that you get such choice with the accompaniments and sides (Eg. Mash/chips/salad/rice.)
The puddings were definitely the highlight for me, though. Two of us indulged in a delightfully moist sticky toffee pudding, which was just the right size. My boyfriend wolfed down his Eton Mess, which was practically spilling over the edges of its sundae glass; his grandmother very much enjoyed the little light passionfruit torte, and the last two people in our party had the pavlova, which was very impressively presented and apparently very tasty indeed!
The whole bill for 6 people was impressively small – and the fact that the place was packed is probably a very good sign of its popularity. Since the staff were so lovely and the location so convenient, we shall definitely be back here next time we’re visiting the grandparents in Cambridge!

1  Thank RachelMary D
There are newer reviews for The Green Man

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Had lunch here - good basic pub food, salad rather sparse. Nice baked potatoes. Quick and attentive service.

Nothing special, but very pleasant.

1  Thank Vickers55
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Have been to this village pub a number of times now and eaten lunch outdoors and evening meals indoors and never been disappointed. It can be very busy so best to book to avoid dissapointment although we have been accomodated when we have just turned up. It is a good local, the bar area is bright and cheery and supplies a good choice of beers.The food is great pub grup and is served in large portions although you can request smaller portions if you do not have a big appetite. The 12oz ribeye steak is just one of the best I have ever had.Good butcher meat hung for 21 days means it is ever so succulent.Good value too. All the dishes we have eaten have been first class and it is a challenge to clear your plate but a welcome one. Service has always been good even although it can be an exceedingly busy place and you may have to be patient but relax it will be excellent when it arrives. All round a good experience in a friendly pub. A slightly hidden gem for pub meals. Good value pub food, good varied menu.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Visited at the weekend for a family meal to celebrate my husbands birthday. Was a bit concerned after seeing some of the reviews but mother in law had booked so we went with it. Arrived, place was really busy, again, worried that this would mean slow service and rubbish food... Couldn't have been more wrong!
The staff were all extremely polite, friendly and attentive, nothing was too much trouble even when we were chopping and changing our mind over orders, they were really helpful. We didn't have to wait long at all for our food which was delicious. All 7 of us had our meals brought out at the same time (which I find rare in places, usually one of us is left waiting) and it was all freshly cooked and piping hot, and HUGE servings! I noticed that even though the place was busy, every table was served in the same way and not one person complained or had a problem. There were 2 other family parties going on at the same time, yet nobody seemed to clash with anybody else, the staff even managed to turn round a table within minutes to accommodate a further family party. I was really impressed by their speed and efficiency despite the fact they were all also very busy serving elsewhere in between. Dessert was yummy, and the coffee was freshly made and hot also. To top it off, the entire bill for 7 (6 adults, one child) for 2 courses, drinks and coffees, was under £100!!
I can see now why the place was busy. I don't usually like environments like that but it really worked. There was a really nice atmosphere and we will definitely be going back. Large menu, wonderfully cooked, great value and pleasant staff. Glad we gave it a go! There is also a large garden for the summer months for those interested. I can imagine sitting out there is lovely :-)

Reviewed 3 January 2014

often visit here for a sunday lunch with the family, good for a set sunday roast, but visiting this time, it appears the current chef is not able to prepare a salad correctly, combined with a rude waitress and overcharged for drinks not received, wont be returning again

3  Thank boblacey