“Seemed pretty nice”

Hyatt Regency Villahermosa
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Villahermosa
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed here two nights as part of a guided tour, so I do not know how much it cost. But compared to the other places we saw in Mexico, this was quite nice. It had hot water, and significant water pressure. We didn't drink the water, but it is probably safe to do so. Rooms were big, beds comfortable, and since we were up on the 7th floor, no noise either.

We had dinner the first night at this hotel, and we ate breakfast twice at their buffet. Again, because we were on a guided tour, I don't know how much the food cost, but it certainly was plentiful and tasty.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Enyedy00

Reviewed 16 May 2011

On our recent trip from our home in Belize to our home in Ontario I made a reservation at what I thought was the Hyatt Regency in Villahermosa, Mexico. On our arrival after a long and tiring road trip, we found that I had mistakenly made a reservation at another hotel. We knew we wanted to stay at the Hyatt because of a previous visit.

After explaining what had happened to the Manager, Piotr Grodzicki, he efficiently and very pleasantly contacted the other hotel, arranged for a late cancellation at no charge to us, and gave us a room in his hotel at a very reasonable rate. Our stay was marked by absolutely fantastic service. All the staff members we interacted with could not have been more efficient, accomodating and friendly. Our room was immaculate and very attractive. We enjoyed our dinner the evening we arrived and breakfast the next morning at the hotel's restaurant. Both meals were very well prepared and the service flawless. Several times during our stay we were asked if there was anything further that could be done to ensure a pleasnt stay. Our response was consistently negative, as our needs and wants were abundantly provided for. I have no hesitancy in recommending this superbly managed and staffed hotel. We will return there when we next visit Villahermosa.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gail0506
Reviewed 10 May 2010

We stayed here on our last night in Mexico – in need of a bit of luxury – we found it here. The rooms were clean, upscale with a great bed and fabulous bathroom. Service was very good. We ordered a light supper to our room, and it was quick and delicious. We also had Sunday Brunch at the main restaurant – which was great, with a lot of options including 4 or 5 kinds of exotic juices – cactus leaf juice for example. The hotel is located very close to a large park and the Parque Museo la Venta which has interesting Olmec heads. The rate we got was very reasonable (about $100 USD per room), but be aware that food costs are pretty high for the area, although the food was upscale and good. Overall, I would really recommend this hotel if you are looking for comfort and service.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank S_S
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Okay I know this can start off as sounding fake, but it's not. I am not one to believe in ghosts but the experience I had at this hotel was anything other than ordinary.

Let me tell you about my experiences from staying in Room 101 at this hotel. The night I checked in, I had a series of events which led me to believe there was paranormal activity in my room. Here goes.....

1) After checking in, dropping my bags off, I noticed my alarm clock was facing sort of away from the bed. I left the room for a few hours, I returned, then it was facing towards the bed. Okay, no biggie, this could have been room cleaning or room service, I don't know, but it was just something I noticed.

2) After dinner, I was getting ready for bed, taking luggage off of my bed, and then when I went to pick up my laptop case, one of the straps was unhooked. This has never unhooked before in my life. Okay, still, continued to think nothing of it, and thought it could just be a freak accident.

3) Got ready for bed, got into my night clothes, right before I turned off the lights, I had an uneasy feeling, but went ahead anyways and proceeded to bed. I was restless, tossing, and turning, then I heard my water bottle get slightly squeezed as if someone was holding a grip on it, but just slightly, call it a pinch, it was'nt a death grip but it was loud enough for me to turn on the lights and look around.

4) Nothing was there, then I turned off the lights and went back to bed. I tried forcing myself to go to bed, and right before I was dozing off, I heard a tapping sound (Not Joking!!!!) like on a hard surface, from within the room. I could tell this was not from the ceiling or the walls, but within the room itself. I heard approximately about 5 or 6 taps. This scared the heck out of me and I thought to myself, what am I going to tell the guy at the reception, he is not going to believe me if I told him I thought it was a ghost. So therefore, I decided to go to bed again, and tried forcing myself to sleep.

5) Then after a few minutes, I heard the TV getting squeezed as if someone took placed their hand on top of it and pressed down firmly. I didn't think much of it but it just added to my paranoia considering I never turned on the TV the entire day.

6) Then, I heard more tapping noises exactly the same I heard prior to hearing the TV getting squeezed. The same number of taps and the same type of taps from within the room. So, this became the breaking point for me and I decided to get my clothes on and on my way out, I did not notice any puddles of water on the ground. Then, after requesting a room change and walking back to the room to retrieve my items, I noticed a one square foot of puddle of water on the ground, which I nearly slipped on. Then I looked up and didn't notice any leaks of any sort. I even reached the ceiling, it's a short ceiling, and did not notice any water or dampness anywhere.....!!!

I did then receive a new room and everything with that room appeared okay.

7) This is foreshadowing but upon talking with the reception desk agent, he mentioned to me that sometimes he saw moving dark shadows within dark hallways when he works the night shift. He also mentioned that he sometimes saw a white figure in the lobby but he did not elaborate any further, but he says he tries to convince himself that it is not what it appears to be.

So, all in all, I don't think I will be returning to room 101. I would go back to the hotel if I have no other choice since that is where my company puts me up when we do business there, however will not stay in 101. Otherwise, I thought the hotel was nice and decent for the price.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
15  Thank worldsport
Reviewed 18 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for one and a half month on a business trip. The mattresses are very hard. It is like sleep on the floor. We stayed so long there because they gave us a big room (suite) with Jacuzzi, two sinks, shower, two TV’s, etc and access to the Regency Club. You have free food and drinks if you have access to this area. They wanted us to stay there so they put more blankets underneath of the sheet so it felt less hard. The people are so nice, specially the guys at the regency Club (Fernando and Dafne). They talk to you and try to help you to find your way around. The hotel is well located you are closed to the mall, downtown, Museo la Venta. On the Paseo Tabasco street, close to Hyatt, you have different restaurants. I recommend one called Etruzco, this is an Italian restaurant, good food, good service and good price as well. This was the good part, now the bad part. They knock the door once, if you don’t open the door really quick they just let themselves in, sometimes they don’t even knock the door. The hotel smells really bad sometimes. The swimming pool looks dirty and it is very slippery. Don’t ask for room service at night the food is horrible.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank analista
Reviewed 17 March 2008

This hotel was a nice surprise. The check in/out process was friendly and efficient. The rooms were small but newly furnished and really well maintained. The pool was nice enough and certainly met my needs. The food was good if not a bit expensive. For the same price (or less) there are many yummy restaurants with better atmosphere in the very close proximity. There are two bars that are pretty business most nights with a mix of locals and business guests.

This was my first stay in Villahermosa so I am not sure if the price of $99 was the best price; however, based on my internet search of similar hotels it appeared to be a good rate.

I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2008
3  Thank Frontier_Girl
Reviewed 12 March 2008

I had the the miss fortune of staying here 3 days. it was hard to get past the mold smell but after a while it grows on you. Its the jack hammering on the roof all day till 6 pm that gets on your nerves. Also you better tke new money if you have any idea of exchanging it at the front desk or even in te local banks. That means no wrinkles , writing or tears on the money or it is no good. I actually liked the food in the hotel but make sure if you get the breakfast package , you get breakfast, have your reservation with you.Also when you get breakfast is up to them not you or the clock.The hotel is dated . The attitude of the staff has been reviewed earlier so I can say it hasnt changed . I booked this because it was a Hyatt. Shame on you Hyatt.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank n5130x