“An average stay”
Review of Yaxkin Hostel

Yaxkin Hostel
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hostel is about a 10 minute walk from the central town area, and on first impressions it looks pretty nice! However, we found the staff at this hostel slightly neglectful as we arrived early morning after a night bus from Tulum expecting to be able to check in, and even though no one had been in our rooms the night before the staff made us wait until 2pm to check in. This meant we had to wait around on the sofas in reception for 8hrs with nothing to do and just wanting to go to sleep! We saw this happen to a number of new travellers - and we knew that the whole place was pretty empty so we could not understand why they would not let anyone check in before 2pm. Other than that, the private rooms are very small, tall people would have to bend down to get through the door! The shared bathroom is also pretty unclean and full of mosquitos which makes it quite unpleasant to shower. The dorms with private bathrooms were much better. It does have a communal area with a TV and chairs, though the DVD player does not work and the area is quite small for a large group of people. Cafe Jade next door does do some good food but you can also cook your own food in the kitchen, which unfortunately was very ill equipped. They had very few plates, only mugs and not enough cutlery even for 3 people to eat at once.

Room Tip: go for a room with private bathroom!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I arrived at this hostel having walked from the bus station in over 30C with a very big back pack, and I was very hot and red. The receptionist was exceptionally rude to be when I arrived name cause I was hot and red and was joking around with another member of staff about it. Felt very uncomfortable, and it was the worst 'welcome' I had the whole time I was in Mexico. He didn't show me where anything was in the hotel and was totally un helpful. The sheets were also not very clean. I would not recommend this place at all. Very disappointed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Fiona L
Reviewed 28 June 2014

As others have mentioned this hostel seems a bit more like a hotel. Service wasn't particularly great when I arrived dripping wet from the rain and stood at reception where the two staff just stared at me for a minute or two without asking me anything, probably because of the language barrier.

Rooms and bathrooms were clean, though I the dorm room I got was in a building right at the back of the garden which isn't fun when it's pouring rain. Wifi only works in the lobby and was terribly slow when I was there, almost to the point of being unusable though this could have been because of the constant rain. There is an attached cafe for breakfast and lunch, and a restaurant for dinner though I didn't end up trying them. Also as others have mentioned the tours are a fair bit more expensive, so you're better off going onto the main street where you'll save some cash and still get picked up at the hostel. Overall the place was good value and is convenient if you are staying in Palenque city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The hostel seems very interesting.
I stayed 1 night, the room was small with a small window. The price was 350pesos.
AC is necessary because Palenque is very hot.

Only for 1 night.

www.donatoaquaro.net

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

This hostel seems more like a hotel ? It's nice reception and kitchen give it a homely feel. The staff don't speak English,so communicating can be awkward. No free breakfast,instead an expensive cafe is adjacent to the hostel ! Tours can be booked at over inflated prices,so go into town and book. Dorms are spacious and showers are warm.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Missed the combis back to the reserve to camp and decided to stay in town. Should have just paid the taxi to go back. El Yaxkin looks like it could be a great spot, but I value my health and safety over amenities and bedbugs are an absolute terror and easily transportable.

I laid down to rest and felt itchy. Checked my bed and sure enough it was teeming with bedbugs. They were even on the wall and floor. I immediately alerted the staff. They kindly transferred me to another room, but were not going to wake the other two women in the dorm! Unacceptable. They were absolutely clueless as to how to handle the situation. I had a massive bedbug infestation in my apartment building in NYC hat resulted in a two year court case against my landlords. This is not a situation to take lightly and the simple precautionary measures were not taken until I instructed them to bag everything.

Thankfully we woke the other two girls. One of their backs was completely bit from their stay the night before.

I've been told we will be able to wash and dry our things in the morning. If you are currently staying at the hostel, I advise you to wash and dry (the heat of the dryer is what kills them) everything you own and spray down your bags with a mixture of alcohol diluted with water.

This is the second report of bedbugs here. I would avoid this hostel at all costs. Shame, seems like a great spot.

If anyone at the hostel reads this, please invest in bedbug covers for the mattresses. They all must be thrown out.

Room Tip: Check your bed. Look for black residue along the edges. Bedbugs come out in the dark. If you notice...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank itsmisscs
yaxkin1, Propietario at Yaxkin Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

We are sorry to hear about the experience you had at our hostel. We know how serious this matter is and request an opportunity to explain. When initially notified of the potential issue

in one of our rooms, we immediately blocked, treated, and renovated the room in question, and the 3 adjoining rooms; installing new wooden ceilings, disposing of and replacing the mattresses, furniture and other potentially affected articles.

As a part of our diligent efforts, we compared several sanitation companies and chose the one that appeared most reliable. The owner of the company we chose is also a veterinarian which led us to believe the products would be safe for our guests and the environment.

Although the cost of the treatments was nearly four times more than any of the other service providers, we were assured by a written guarantee that after the treatment there would be no further incidences of any type of insects in any part of the hostel installations.

The company appeared very legitimate and reinforced the fact that these were special products not available to the general public, and were only available by special order. As a part of the treatment process, three products and application processes were administered in the entire hostel over a period of 2 days.

Because of this abuse of confidence toward the hostel and our clients, we are currently in a process of litigation against the company FUMI-SUR for breach of contract. As a part of our commitment to our clients, we have since contacted a different and reputable company to monitor and treat this problem in conjunction with our cleaning staff to eliminate the likelihood of any further incidences.

We assure you that all customer comments are taken very seriously, and are taking the necessary steps to continue providing a clean, comfortable, and safe atmosphere for our clients.

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

We were travelling with a group on a tour and my partner and I booked a private room. This was clean, had a massive bed and the air-con and bathroom were great. There is a cafe attached to the hostel which serves good food and a restaurant bar upstairs. Some if our guys were in a shared room above us. It was effectively just a poorly converted loft. It was cramped and even had an air conditioning exhaust IN the room. The temperature was horrendous. They moved room and paid a little extra for an upgrade. So be sure you get a decent room before you dump your bags!! Otherwise this hostel is brilliant!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends