“Not bad, but not good at all for more than $100 bucks a night.”

Hotel Maya Palenque
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Palenque
Mexico
“Not bad, but not good at all for more than $100 bucks a night.”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

For more than $100 dollars a night we were not satisfied at all. If it was only 30-40 dollars like the other hotels nearby, that were the same, I would have been satisfied.

The rooms were clean, that I can honestly say. The staff are very nice and friendly.

You cannot control the AC, and its humid here, its either on full blast or OFF. When on full blast the blankets they give you make you shiver... also the AC unit is not sealed at all... and mosquitos and bugs come in freely.
No shampoo. Not much hot water, some days none at all.
Our room was on the top floor and more times than not the electric card keys did not work, so we walked down 3 flights to change the keys, once the key change did not work and we had to make 3 round trips on the stairs to gain entrance to our room! what else, for 100 bucks i would expect kleenex, or at least my wife says she would. No hand towels, just 2 shower towels and a floor mat.
The beds have a built in gap by the wall, so your pillow keeps falling into the gap.
We did not use the pool.
On check out, we paid by visa, they exchanged from peso to dollar at a higher than the bank exchange rate! Greedy owners and they give back very little, sorry to say.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I don't have anything bad to say about this hotel. We got exactly what we expected. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The location was good. The pool was awesome for the kids.There is a pool bar setup there but nothing is ever served because there isn't a bartender. Not much else I could say.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
ontario
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Clean, friendly staff, and well located. Be prepared that the receptionist may speak very limited English.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed 4 April 2012

The Best Western Palenque is located within walking distance to the shops and restaurants in the town center. The desk and restaurant staff were friendly and helpful. I am a vegetarian, and the restaurant staff was able to cook me up an off-menu item to accommodate my wishes; I appreciated that immensely. The pool area is very nice, although I did not swim while I was there. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed wasn't the best I've ever slept on, but it certainly wasn't the worst. It was comfortable enough that I was able to sleep well during my stay. You can book tours directly through the hotel front desk, but the prices are higher than if you go directly into town and reserve a spot with one of the numerous tour operators that line the street. I was feeling lazy so I booked a day tour Palenque, Misol-ha and Agua Azul at the front desk for $375 MEX; it was $300 MEX when I checked with the tour operators on the streets. Overall, I'd say that it is a comfortable hotel, in a good location and the rates are reasonable. I will definitely stay here again if I return to Palenque.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Brigham City, Utah
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Nice pool and outside garden with Palapas. Beds harder than rocks. Nice clean place with little ambience. Has restaraunt on the premises. No free breakfast. After one might we walked 50 yards down the road to the Mayan Tulipane, which is a dandy place with real Mexican hospitality and people who can speak English. I agree, the beds in Mexico are hard, but this place can beat anything you have ever considered. One reviewer put in the guest book that for a national brand hotel, this has some to go if they want to keep a good name. Good and clean with good hot water. But those beds! Also had noise in the halls from late arrivals with lots of loud kids.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, walk down to the Mayan Tulipane and check in there. They had a special for 92...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Elsewhere
Reviewed 3 January 2012

The Best Western Maya Palenque is located in the small La Canada area. Divided from Palenque town by a ravine, it is quieter and shadier than other areas and contains a number of hotels and restaurants among the brick paved streets. It is an easy walk into town, which gives one more options in regards to arranging tours to outlying areas, dining, or just going for an evening stroll. For those traveling on, it is located a short distance from the bus terminals.

After a disappointing staying in an adjacent hotel for one night, I thankfully moved to the Best Western Maya Palenque for the next three nights. While the staff did indeed not speak English well, my Spanish is not that impressive either and we managed to communicate quite well through smiles and gestures to our mutual amusement and much laughter. I found the staff to be courteous, friendly and helpful at all times. One cannot expect everyone to speak English afterall.

My room contained two beds, cable TV, a reasonable sized bathroom with plenty of hot water and was most importantly clean and bright with a nice view of the garden and inviting swimming pool from the balcony. I found the bed to be comfortable too, and I slept well, as the rooms facing the pool are quiet. The air-conditioning worked very well, which was most welcome in the hot climate.

For me the hotel was ideally situated to visit the stunning Mayan site of Palenque several times, not to mention the ease of making arrangements to travel to the more distant Mayan sites of Bonampak and Yaxchilan, which any Maya enthusiast should not miss. It is well worth comparing different tour operators in town as I found the price to vary quite a bit. Unfortunately the local tourist office may not be the best place to ask for advice in this regard.

While I mostly ate in town and did not avail myself of the restaurant on the premises, I did order a meal in my room one night and found it to be quite good, especially the generous fruit platter.

All in all, I was happy with my stay here and can recommend it for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We choose this hotel from the top end list in the Lonely Planet. We said to each other: Best Western, for sure they will speak English and maintain a certain level of quality.
Well, it's definitely not the 4 star hotel they say to be.
The rooms are very, very basic!
What shocked us the most is that nobody spoke a word of English! We don't expect in Central-America that people speak fluent English, but that at the front desk of a so called 4 star hotel they don't speak ANY english (not very practical when you want to book a tour..)!!
We liked how the pool area looked and if it hadn't rained for sure we would have taken a dive into the swimmingpool...
One of the other positive things was the airco, it was very cool through the night!
They have 3 pc's available with internet, very covenient.
The location is not perfect. It's a 5 minute walk to the city centre, but when we were driving around we saw that most hotels are located outside the centre.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple