“Lack of directions-made my trip difficult”
Review of Lake Clifton

Lake Clifton
Perth, Australia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Lack of directions-made my trip difficult”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We went to Lake Clifton mainly to see the thrombolites. My GPS was unable to find the location and the small, inconspicuous sign boards on the old coast road, did not help much. However, when I finally managed to reach the thrombolites, I found it was worth the trip. Where in the world can we see the microbial organisms growing like rocks and stones. We went there on 26 Oct, 2013. Surprisingly, we were not troubled by insects or flies. When I took a short walk in the shrubs, I was able to see numerous spiders and their webs, May be they were having a good time catching and trapping all the flies. I did see a wide variety of butterflies and dragonflies.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Tamilalagan N

Birmingham, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Lake Clifton is an amazing area. The lake and wet land areas are just a beautiful sight and the Thrombolites are an interesting sight. I got a little fed up of the flies on the walk and wished I had some repellent but go prepared and I'm sure you'll love it.

1 Thank Si F
Brisbane, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Thrombolites!!!”
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

If there's a heaven on earth, then Lake Clifton Thrombolites is the first contender! A must go! Just bear with the bugs & mosquitoes on the way in. But definitely worth it!

Perth, Australia
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Thrombolites - Living Fossils”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We were heading south of Perth and after a short stop at Centro Mandurah Shopping Centre, we decided to continue via Mandurah/Old Coast Road. Less than 30 minutes later we stumbled upon Lake Clifton and a sign that said 'Thrombolites'. With our curiosity piqued because we didn't know what Thrombolites are, we turned off at Mount John Road and headed towards the lake (about a 5 minute drive straight ahead). Just after the Cape Bouvard Winery and Brewery there's a small carpark to the right and a toilet block (non flushing). There you have the choice of a 5km round trip walk in the National Park or a 600m return trip along the purpose built boardwalk over the lake (the latter was our choice). The thrombolites are living rocks that sit in shallow water of Lake Clifton's eastern shoreline. The boardwalk was established to protect the Thrombolites and still allow people to view them. The boardwalk also makes it accessible for the mobility impaired and for parents with prams. There is also an opportunity to help Conservationalists and Researchers by taking photographs at particular points and sending them through via email. You can stay there as long as you but we were probably there all up 20 minutes. The walk through the National Park probably needs 1-2 hours. To return to the Highway you can head back up Mount John Road or turn right onto the Clifton Down Roads.

We didn't stop at the Cape Bouvard Winery and Brewery so can't offer any review but from what could be seen from the roadside: there's ample parking and outdoor seating. No kids playground but a small amount of grassed area for a stretch or run around.

5 Thank Livvy7
Esperance, Australia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“as seen on the ABC!”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I had seen Professor Brian Cox talking about this place south of Perth on his programme on the ABC on Thursday night - I think it was called 'wonders of the universe' in which he describes Australia's different sized animals. He comes here to talk about one of the smallest, a bacteria that ultimately creates the Thrombolites. I went here for a drive on a day off from Perth, it is very easy to get to, just drive about 90km down the Kwinana Freeway, there is a sign to turn off to the right. There is a short boardwalk where you walk a short way out over the lake to look at the thrombolites. At the time I went they were underwater, but they looked kinda cool like that. There is a trail off to the right that goes for about 5km through some bushland and some plaques talking about the different species of animals. You walk though the bush, on top of some limestone and through a peppermint grove. Although it was a nice quiet walk for me, children would probably get bored quickly. There is a program going whereby you take photo at a set angle and send them into the Peel-Harvey Catchment Council to document the change taking place. the website is:

I think it's a very cool idea, should be taken up by more conservation areas!
There are some picnic benches there, 2 longdrop toilets. There is not convenience stores nearby, but the is the Cape Bouvard Winery and Brewery about 20metres down the road, but I didn't go here.

Visited July 2013