The Cridford Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Old Coaching House(Newton Abbot)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubcanonteign fallsnew ownerspiesteaksunday lunchwashed downwelcoming placelovely old puboutstanding foodpretty villagemonkfishlong housenarrow laneoff the beaten trackhidden awaybeautiful flowers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We went recently for lunch in the bar for the first time. The pub was very quiet, only two other small tables.
The soup was delightful, but we had to look at it for some minutes before the spoons and the bread arrived.
My seafood risotto was a heap if mush with a bit of salad bag on top, I am afraid,and the rice had no texture and the chunks of fish were tough and stringy. It seemed to me that long grain white rice had been used. I am very familiar with making risottos and rice dishes.
Two other diners had a cobbler topping meal, and that was hard and dry and difficult.
We were out for a lovely lunch together. Friendly ambiance, but won't be making the journey again.

Room Tip: We were only there for lunch.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ann T
Reviewed 20 March 2014

One and a half hours to wait for food! We were given bread and olives at intervals and told that food was on it's way but 1hr 40 mins? Apparently only one chef on duty and an 'unexpected'? party of 14 turned up. However, when paying the bill - with a small discount re the wait, we were told the problem was not their fault! Food was very good!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan C
cridfordinn, Owner at The Cridford Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thanks for the review.yes one chef on duty ,only one table booked in,until everyone turned up on the evening.As I have said on previous occasions ,we don't have through traffic here,and can only staff the premises based on what bookings we have and a few extra.on Wednesday night we had 14 people in total booked in,and ended up with 40.staff do not live close by,so we could not be prepared for this.I cannot stress enough,please book a Table when coming to the Cridford Inn.However taking on board your feedback and my discussions with the team ,we will make sure in the future that we only accept the amount of customers that the kitchen can cope with effectively.so please please book,so that you don't end up not having a table.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Just got back from a lovely lunch at the Cridford Inn. We weren't staying at the Inn, just dining out. The food was superb, and the service excellent. The lovely lady who was tending the bar and waitressing could not have been friendlier or more helpful. She made us feel really welcome, and both she and the chef were happy to fillet my Mum's fish for her instead of serving on the bone. We've been there several times before, and it's always excellent. I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Allison S
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Had a meal here a few years ago, so we were very surprised at the very poor service having to ask the waitress repeatedly for service,
Once the food arrived my wife's fish was undercooked, when it came back it was a tiny portion, through our meal the staff were working on the bar with dishwasher trays very noisy.
We have since heard the owners have opened another establishment a few miles away. Eye off the ball springs to mind.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pachac
cridfordinn, Owner at The Cridford Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for your feed back,and I am sorry that something was under cooked, and you found the place noisy .I have not taken my eye off the ball 9as you so put it) ,as I live on the premises ,and spend most of my time at the Cridford Inn.I have an excellent team there ,and I had heard about your experience, as we rarely get complaints .My staff tried everything to rectify the situation for you ,and thought they had. Obviously it was not enough for you, as you have put your review on trip advisor. The opening of our new venture is to work alongside the Cridford,nit to work against it ,I think that would be a bit silly ,seeing as we own it.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

We only came for a drink & couldn't resist booking a weekend stay in this beautiful rustic pub, the girl behind the bar was very friendly, helpful and welcoming, she obviously loves working there. The menu looks awesome for both restaurant and bar. Especially the vegetarian food. A+++++

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple