“Peace at Altitude”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bunya Mountains
Bunya Mountains Accommodation
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We spent 3 nights staying in cottage "Altitude" and would thoroughly recommend this property for a couple. It is almost new, very quiet, backs onto rainforest, neighbours are not close, lots of birds, roos. We loved it.
The staff at the office were friendly and helpful and gave us some tips on the best places to see certain birds and the fireflies in Riflebird park.
We weren't certain what to expect from Bunya Mountain because unlike eg. Lamington NP where you either camp or stay in an expensive hotel, here you can stay in self catering individual cottages which are obviously built and owned by completely different people. I was worried that it was some sort of housing estate but its not like that at all. The cottages are all different. They are built on quite large blocks (I would say that Altitude is probably on at least half an acre, perhaps more) and for a lot of them, your neighbours would be a fair way away and you have lots of privacy.
We chose Altitude partly because it included linen and towels and as we are not locals, we didn't fancy BYO or paying >$30 to hire. There were some basics in the cottage including loo roll but you will have to bring in pretty much everything including tea, coffee, sugar, cooking oil for the BBQ etc.
The bed was comfortable and we slept well although we did wake up with the sun and the birds.

We were met at Altitude by the welcoming committee of King Parrots who were obviously disappointed that we didn't have seed to feed them but still they came back every so often to see what was on offer. We saw lots of Kingys, Crimson Rosellas, Magpies, Pied Currawongs. We also often saw the Satin Bowerbirds both male ( x 2) and females, and a large family of Superb blue wrens with at least 2 males in full colour. They were around just about all the time and very easy to see. Bring binoculars with you if you are interested.
We frequently heard the Green Catbird but just couldn't see him (that had to wait for our walks in Mary Cairncross park at Maleny).
We saw the fireflies at dusk, lots of roos everywhere. They are all along the road into the office and restaurants, just lolling around all day.
The walks at Bunya Mountains are good and varied. We did the shorter walks that said they would take between 1 and 2 hours and they took us double that because we were walking very slowly and quietly to see the birds.
We loved it here and in retrospect we wish we had allowed more nights at Bunya Mt and less elsewhere on our holiday. We will just have to come back!

Room Tip: Read the descriptions of the cottages carefully and bear in mind that you may have to byo linen and...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank plspoon
BMACTeam, Manager at Bunya Mountains Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Good morning plspoon
Sorry to take so long to reply to your feedback about your stay at Altitude, Bunya Mountains. We are just getting ourselves organised with Trip Advisor. Thank you so much for your feedback. It was very comprehensive and will give other visitors to Bunya Mountains a really good insight into what to expect. It is difficult to describe Bunya Mountains but you did a fabulous job.
Thanks again and look forward to your next visit to Bunya Mountains when you again make the big Eastern trek.
BMAC team.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed at Sweet Inspirations, a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom timber home on Bunya Mountains Titles Estate...a quiet gated street, just off the main road. There were 3 couples, and we found there was plenty of room for relaxing, cooking and dining in this tidy home. Downstairs had a two way bathroom doubling as an ensuite for the downstairs bedroom, and the 2 upstairs bedrooms shared another bathroom. The entire house was well appointed, and the large veranda was spacious and much used in the morning sun.
A gentle stroll took us to the start of the walking tracks, as the house is well positioned. Absolutely ideal for up to 3 couples, or for families - very well appointed kitchen (coffee machine/dishwasher).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrandMrsDespot
BMACTeam, Manager at Bunya Mountains Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Hi MrandMrsDespot
thanks for taking the time and trouble to share your experience at Bunya Mountains and Sweet Inspirations. Sorry to take so long to respond - just getting ourselves at the office organised with Trip Advisor.
So glad you had a great time and enjoyed the house and our beautiful mountain.
Look forward to seeing you again at Bunya Mountains.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed at Cloudlands in the Bunya Mts (Dandabah) with family and friends. It was a great location in the bush and the house and gardens were large and created a relaxing atmosphere. There was a fireplace with plenty of wood and it was about a 5-10 minute walk to the shops. Good value for money and the only negative was that there was only a bath with a detachable shower head (no screen) in the ensuite (the other bathroom had one). Felt like I was visiting my parents with the decor but it did suit the mountain atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank tooktheredpill
BMACTeam, Manager at Bunya Mountains Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Hi Tooktheredpill

Thanks for your feedback on Cloudlands. It is in a lovely setting. We will make sure it is noted on our website that there is only a bath in the ensuire and no shower so others will not be disappointed. Again we appreciate your feedback - we have only just started using Tripadvisor so sorry for the long delay in our response

Reviewed 29 April 2013

We were invited to the Bunya Mountains for a family wedding, with the majority of guests staying on the mountain in one of the many houses/cottages. The one we managed to spend a night in was magnificent. What beautiful views, with the house built to take full advantage. It was a beautifully set out house with large verandah, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and plenty of space around the fireplace. What a pity we didn't have more time to spend up there, to chill out!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Hi JenRei
Thanks for your feedback regarding your visit to Bunya Mountains. So pleased your experience was amazing and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

We stayed at Renyar over Easter - this cottage is more private than those in the estates and that was what we wanted. Everything is provided (except linen and food) in this neat little house. We had a lovely weekend, feeding the crimson rosellas, watching the wallabies and baby magpies, walking in the bush. We had lunch and also a morning tea at the Bunya Forest Gallery which uses bushfoods to produce yummy meals. We had hoped to have dinner at Puzzles but it was booked out weeks ago so if you want to eat there you will need to book way ahead. We had a look at the Cider Gum but it smelt like fatty food so we ended up cooking evening meals for ourselves.
Being Easter, it was busy so best to avoid this time. Having said this, one of the trails we walked on was really quiet and we hardly saw any other walkers.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JaneMacG

Hi JaneMacG
thanks for your feedback on Renyar and Bunya Mountains. Isn't Easter an amazing time? So many people but you rarely encounter them. We have a new restaurant on the mountain now called Lyrics and 2 great coffee shops Poppies on the Hill and Elle's Bistro.
Hope to see you again at Bunya Mountains

Reviewed 27 October 2012

I feel obliged to write about the Bunyas again as there were little bits and pieces I found out this trip which may help others. I took my best friend up this time in August and we stayed in 'Pine View'. This was one of my first choices as it was reasonably high on the hill with great views. It also faced directly due East so it got the sun early in the morning. This is a very important point as our first night got down to -5 degrees. Once the sun hits the house though, at about 7am, it warms considerably. The house itself had everything we needed - a queen room downstairs with a full kitchen, laundry and bathroom including tub. Also a dining table and lounge room with a good flatscreen tv and dvd player. Upstairs was another queen bedroom with a very large loft containing two single beds, a set of bunks and a trundle. There is also a 2nd toilet and basin. We were very happy with the house and feel it would certainly suit a family. But the best thing about 'Pine View' was the view. Pine View has full 180 degree view of the Bunyas with lovely large balconies. The house is completely surrounded by hundreds of wallabies and much to our delight, we were joined on our balcony by a large number of king parrots and rosellas almost immediately. This time I had taken bird seed so we were very popular with the birds! The currawongs are somewhat pesky, they tend to frighten away the parrots so I put a large plate of oats on the end of the balcony - well that worked! The currawongs were content to make a mess and play with the oats for hours. Fortunately all houses provide brooms so we were able to sweep up our mess the morning before we left.
Although Pine View is out in the open, it is very private. There is one house next door (probably 50m away) but the only room which looks out at Pine View is the kitchen. My best friend and I loved looking out at all the other houses and watching the antics. All in all, Pine View was perfect - there was even undercover parking for the car.
Bunya itself was as wonderful as last time and I look forward to taking my husband next time.
A few things I would like to point out to prospective travellers - things which I will certainly taken heed of next trip.
1. Make sure your car is in good shape. The accommodation centre neglects to tell travellers about the very steep climb up the mountain. We got a nice burning smell from our car! And I heard another traveller telling the girls when checking in that his car broke down halfway up the range. Woops!
2. If it is autumn, winter or even spring make sure to take firestarters with you. We bought some at the general store for $8 and found them at home in Woolies for $3! But they make all the difference to getting that fire started. We were starting ours at 3pm - it was cold!
3. Take advantage of the $25 wood chopping service provided by the accom centre. Otherwise there is just a log splitter which is hopeless. The accom centre and general store both sell kindling too which we also bought.
4. Take plenty of bird seed if you like birds! There are thousands of parrots and rosellas which are all friendly and love feeding from the balconies. There are good cheap parrot seed brands in Woolies and Coles.
5. We had 3G phones and only got reception at one part of the house nearest to the tv towers. Which was fine but apparently we need an external antenna to receive constant reception. There are some houses which have no phone signal at all.
6. Really investigate the houses and chalets available. There are plenty of them and the girls at the accom centre are always helpful. Just because a house is booked out alot, doesn't necessarily mean it's better. The houses in the 2nd estate on the ridge get alot of wind and are very cold in winter. Lovely in summer though. If a house looks like it is shrouded by trees then it will be cold in winter. We choose open houses in sunshine in winter and cooler, shady houses in summer.

Room Tip: Look for the high houses on the hill in the colder months.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Cathie D
BMACTeam, Manager at Bunya Mountains Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Hi Cathie D
Thanks for your Bunya Mountains and Pine View review (sorry for the delay in responding) and I am sure all who read this will appreciate your attention to detail and very handy hints.
Look forward to seeing you again at Bunya Mountains

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Three years ago I drove through the Bunya Mountains and was captivated. I said back then that I would love to spend a winter weekend up there and I cannot believe it took me so long to finally get around to it. It won't take me so long to return I can assure you.

Bunya Mountains is about a 3.5 hour drive from Brisbane - depending on whether you are coming from the north or south side. I decided that I would like to spend my birthday weekend up there with my husband and son and after lots of looking at the accommodation website, finally settled on the delightful property that is Ana Pana. Ana Pana is in the second estate and was a gorgeous house. It is almost at the end of the road, which was great as it meant it was one of only about 7 properties at Bunya Mountain that had 3G coverage. Now whilst I realise that many folk don't care about internet or mobile phone coverage on a weekend away, for me it means that my husband who runs his own business and can't really be out of touch, also relaxed as he knew he could be reached. And he has even decided we should go back for a week sometime - miracle!

Our welcome by the accommodation staff was warm and friendly. And the magic began - the whole mountain was filled with wallabies and that alone made it simply gorgeous. Our accommodation was a lovely three bedroom cottage with cathedral ceilings. It had two levels with two bedrooms (including the main bedroom and ensuite) along with kitchen and living area on the level you entered, and downstairs was another bedroom, along with bathroom, deck and the much anticipated sauna. This set up for our family was perfect as it gave the 17 year old a bit of space downstairs with his own television and sitting area, not that he really used that - but for a longer stay it would be great.

Ana Pana is down a little slope, and the views over the nearby fields and up a hill was delightful. The back deck was large with a bbq and plenty of friendly king parrots, rainbow lorikeets and perhaps too-friendly currawongs. It was a lovely spot to enjoy some drinks and nibbles as the sun went down. The kitchen had everything you could possibly want and was easy to negotiate. Of course the drawcard for me was the fireplace and as we were there in winter, it was wonderful to laze around in the comfy beanbags, enjoying a red wine and a good book as the fire did it's thing.

So what to do at the Bunya's - walk, walk and more walking. There are fantastic bush walks for all levels of fitness/experience and the rainforest is magnificent. We did a brilliant 10.8km bushwalk and didn't find it too daunting or too difficult to be honest. And the scenery was stunning. Other than that, I guess you could sit in the sun, or sit in your cottage and read, or watch the kids play on the play area or chase wallabies!

There are a couple of tea houses/cafe's up on the mountain and we ate at Poppies for lunch one day. The home made soup of the day was delicious and just what we needed after our long bushwalk. There are also two restaurants - we ate at Puzzles which was truly fabulous.l I couldn't believe how good the food was and how much there was with a four course set meal (apart from chosing your main course from about six options). There was an open fireplace in the middle of the restaurant and the husband and wife team were so friendly and fun. You do need to byo your drinks (including soft drinks we discovered). I can't say enough good things about Puzzles.

A few words of warning - make sure you have plenty of petrol, the closest petrol off the mountain is about 40km away, don't get caught thinking you have enough because the climb up the mountain in your car will use more than you expect. Whilst we didn't quite run out, it wasn't too far off by the time we got to Kumbiah. YOu will also drive a little while you are up there because some of the spots from where you can start bushwalks aren't walking distance from the accommodation. You also need to pretty much take all your food (other than if you are eating out). There is a very small shop up there that sells the very basics, but it's expensive!!! So take it all with you.

The only thing I would say was a little irksome was the opening and closing of the gates into the estates - it's a shame they haven't figured out a keypad or similar, as the locking and unlocking could get a bit tiresome and was hard at night when it was dark, trying to get the key into the lock etc. So that was sort of annoying - but that's a niggle that probably won't worry most people. Perhaps I'm just lazy!

The one other thing that could be bothersome for some - but didn't worry us - was that Ana Pana was close-ish to a very large two storey house that could probably sleep about 12. So if you ended up with a loud noisy family/friendship group in that house, well your serenity would be somewhat disturbed I would imagine. Also the big house does look onto the back deck and into the main living area of Ana Pana - just be warned. It didn't worry me and I would definately stay at Ana Pana again.

My biggest complaint was that I only stayed for two nights, which was far too short a time. I shall rectify that with my next visit. It truly is magical and peaceful and relaxing and simply divine.

Room Tip: Have a really good look on the accommodation website - the cheaper places tend to be the older house...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Melisa L

Hi Melisa L
Thanks for your thoughtful and very informative feedback about your experience at Ana Pana and Bunya Mountains. So glad you were captivated by the magic of Bunya Mountains and look forward to seeing you again to our well kept secret place.
BMAC team.

Been to Bunya Mountains Accommodation? Share your experiences!