“Very underwhelmed”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Hexham, England, United Kingdom
“Very underwhelmed”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Have been to this establishment three times over the past 6 months, every time I’ve eaten here it has proved to been a disappointment. I will not be going back in a hurry!
On the first occasion the starters took over 40 minutes to arrive and people who were arrived after as were getting there food served first. (I would like to add we had nothing over complicated and it did not require this time to wait, in fact all three of us had soup.)
On the second occasion the pub was busy and there was not enough floor staff to effectively serve all the customers who were dining.
On the third visit which was on the 28th of May 2012, I took two of my friends out to dinner, when we arrived the seating area outside was full but when we went into the restaurant it was fairly quiet. There looked to be one person serving on the bar, one manager and two waiting staff on the floor.
Our drinks order was taken but the drinks took about ten minutes to reach the table, the food order was taken in good time. We decided to order off the evening meal deal menu and all had the soup to start. There were no problems to report here.
For our main meals we had the steak and ale pie, the lasagne and the ‘brewer chicken’. The first two meals were fine. However when the chicken arrived it was STONE cold, not even luke warm. I told the manager and the meal was returned and we were told a replaced would be made.
During the time it took to prepare and serve the chicken, the rest of the table had finished there meal, not a very social experience I think you would all agree. The meal took 15 minutes to come back to the table and there was very little in the way of an apology and no recompense given for the inconvenience. During the time a sat and waited for the meal there were at least five other meals going out, and only once did someone come over and say the meal would be five minutes.
I am thoroughly disappointed with the experience once again and will not be going back.

• Visited May 2012

high spen
“very friendly staff, good food”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

have been here a few times now staff very friendly and sociable, good selection of food can usually get a table without booking but advisable if with bigger party.
found prices to be good and service very good even when busy

• Visited March 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Food quality/value.”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

This place is a gem, especially for the food. I have to admit that I have only eaten lunches here, but have friends who often dine here at night, and they share my assessment. The bar area is a decent size, and leads into a pleasant open plan restaurant.

There is a special lunch menu which offers a 2 or 3 course meal at extremely good prices, and the quality is as good as I've had anywhere else (for a lot more money). If I lived in this village I would hardly be away from The Wellington.

• Visited April 2012
Thank 237enigma .
newcastle
“Good food good pub good all round”
Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

We were staying in the area and drove past and decided to stop for dinner. From the out side it looks very smart and inviting and the inside isn't a disappointment it's every thing you would expect from a country pub . We had good service from the bar man and waiting on staff and the food was spot on . There was a good variety of meals on the menu. It's also worth saying The Welington is spotless . Would definately go back if we are in the area

uk
“Great waitresses”
Reviewed 4 April 2012 via mobile

Have eaten here 3times, the waitresses are very efficient, the pub is clean , the welcome is warm. Food is good quality had 3 great meals for two here. The manager needs to talk to his customers just as well his floor staff are sociable.